PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remaining FA Wide Receivers - or Do We Wait for Draft?

Looking at alot of mock drafts, seems like after the top 3 go early on there could be a bit of a lapse in wr selections until buffalo at 28. That should make it easy for us to grab one out of the 2nd tier group(Thomas though he may go a little higher, coleman, worthy, legette, mcconkey, franklin, wilson, etc). Or trade up 6 slots or so if you feel really strongly about one of them. But this draft sets up really for us to stay put at 3, get your qb and land a quality wr prospect.

Unfortunately the Free Agent WR group is thinning out. Most at the top of the list never even hit free agency.

1. Tee Higgins - franchised
2. Michael Pittman Jr. - franchised
3. Mike Evans - re-signed w/TB; 2 yrs, $52m
4. Marquise Brown - signed w/KC; 1 yr, $11m
5. Calvin Ridley - signed w/Titans; 4 yrs, $92m
6. Darnell Mooney - signed w/Atlanta; 3 yrs, $39m
7. Gabe Davis - signed w/Miami; 3 yrs, $39m
Edit to Add: Mike Williams - available; turns 30 this year; coming off ACL injury
8. Odell Beckham, Jr. - available; turns 32 this year; will probaly cost 1 yr, $12m
9. Tyler Boyd - available; turns 30 this year; will probably cost 2 yrs, $18m
10. Curtis Samuel - signed w/Bills; 3 yrs, $24m
11. Kendrick Bourne - re-signed w/Pats; 3 yrs, $33m
12. D.J. Chark - available; turns 28 this year; will probably cost 1 yr, $11m
13. Michael Thomas - available; 31 this year; will probably cost 1 yr, $9.5m
14. Josh Reynolds - available; 29 years old; will probably cost 2 yrs, $14m
15. Nick Westbrook-Ikhine - available; turns 27 this year; probablecost $3m
16. K.J. Osborn - available; turns 27 this year
17. Noah Brown - re-signed w/Texans; 1 yr, $5m
18. Hunter Renfrow - available for good reason; turns 29 this year
19. Allen Robinson - available; turns 31 this year
20. Brandon Powell - re-signed w/Vikings; 1 yr, $2m

Thanks for the list & updates; much appreciated.

Donovan PJones outside of your top-20, then?

Best FA WR fit for Pats - KJ Osborn.
Still young, very versatile. Won't demand a high-end deal. But could sign for 4yrs - develop into a long term #3.

Ozzy’s better than nothing, but not as good as Mike Williams or DPJ.

He better have come real cheap.

One-year deal time:

I don't understand why we would give 1 year deal and tie up cap room for a guy who wont be here when we are good again. on a 1 year deal he is going to want say 15 mill and he is going to want a qb throwing him the ball with a resume.

a good QB could win with this roster as is (maybe LT being the 1 final piece)

When Brady got the 2nd dynasty going he had:
Blount / Bolden
Edelman / Dobson / Amendola / LaFell
Gronk / Hooman

The weapons we have right now are better in total, but Gronk is unmatched, and Edelman was unique.
But that roster won the SB.
All we're asking for this year is 9 wins - a decent QB should make that happen. (not saying Brissett is that, we don't know yet)

Watch the Pats shock everyone by trading down and taking Brock Bowers

I really think that the new offensive scheme and strong arm QB will be able to unlock Tyquans potential. In college he seemed to run deep routes(Posts, Go, deep corner) best because it highlighted his speed. I don't think that he has been used very well up to this point, He has had injuries as well that may have slowed any development.

Wait for the draft.

a good QB could win with this roster as is (maybe LT being the 1 final piece)

When Brady got the 2nd dynasty going he had:
Blount / Bolden
Edelman / Dobson / Amendola / LaFell
Gronk / Hooman

The weapons we have right now are better in total, but Gronk is unmatched, and Edelman was unique.
Our weapons are better than a roster that included Gronk and Edelman? Healthy Gronk was arguably the greatest offensive weapon in NFL history.

You cannot expect a draft to fix all the off season screwups and you cannot depend on a single player in each need position; i.e. don't expect to fix the OL with a single pick of a tackle and don't expect a single pick of a WR to fix that problem. You probably need to draft 2-3 OL types and 2 WRs...this is why a trade back makes sense.

Tee Higgins is the only guy whose name is being talked about that I want. I much rather give him Ridley's deal than Ridley. I will be fine with giving our 3rd rd pick and JJ Schuster and paying him the 18 mill a year. This saves the Bengals 15 mill and allows them to Keep Polk. Schuster could be cut next year at no cost to the bengals if he does not pan out, if he manages to play reasonably well Having him and Polk "long" term may be the best of a bad situation for them. And at #68 there still should be some decent prospects at WR left.

You cannot expect a draft to fix all the off season screwups and you cannot depend on a single player in each need position; i.e. don't expect to fix the OL with a single pick of a tackle and don't expect a single pick of a WR to fix that problem. You probably need to draft 2-3 OL types and 2 WRs...this is why a trade back makes sense.
Wow Cousin, Good post. Hear! Hear!
Great breakfast for just a Thursday. Ham, cheese and veggie omelet and a side of a bit of a Wonderbar brand cold cut.. A cruller and a bonus of a piece of blueberry/lemon cake for lunch (it was near lunch Cousins...Don't judge me. Probably didn't need that) but the veggies were healthy so it conteracted the cake....Yes? No?) A hot cup of vanilla gray tea and cranberry-grape juice.

You are right. One pick to cover one position is not a fix. One QB won't make a difference unless it;'s Mahomes or TB. Yes, I would like the Pats to Draft a QB, but at what cost to the rest of the roster if we circle one in the top five ? Are you who demand one of the "Holy Three" absolutely positive that they will be "Franchise" QBs, being of the top five category? TB or Mahomes? Only 40% of the QBs in the top five since 2011 are considered top tier. The numbers from that point on (6th Allen, Herbert 6th, Mahomes 10th, Jackson 32nd, Dak 4th Round, Hurts 2nd Round even Rodgers only 24th as examples)

Evereyone is predicting a terrible season in 2024 for the Pats and we will be out of it by week 6 (there is the Brissett thing). I prefer competitive and we have the resources and Draft picks to accomplish a competitive Team if the Pats correctly surround one of these kid QBs........who do not have to be top 5 with outstanding talent. Remember the term "weaponize".

This is not a Madden Dream. What I propose can happen and we have the funds to do so,

I did this on another thread but I will simplify this:

1) Let's fix the OL. Onwenu is a good start at RT. We have signed Chewbacca as he "might" work at LT. Well I am ok for that experiment but for crying out loud son, sign All Pro DJ Humpries who is ACL recovering and might be a late season addition who is only 30 and would be a nice piece for a solid two or three years or in case of emergency......break glass later in 2024.

2) Bring back Zeke. He certainly filled the bill as a solid backup amd best pass blocking back. What are you thinking Wolf?

3) Take the prosposed "definate maybe Vikes trade" and sacrifice to have them move up to three........... but leverage and tweak it. They offered #11 and #23 for the #3 pick but they know it will cost a lost more. Take the #11 and #23 plus............. WR Justin Jefferson with whom the Vikes will struggle to pay because of his salary demands (which we can pay) and the Vikes have over $57mm in dead cap or 25% of their total salary availability. They still have Addison and Hoch.

They have not been able to get a deal with Jefferson. His QB situation is not different on the Vikes than the Pats so that is no longer a WR factor. We know the trade is at the least worth another #1 pick (2025) and maybe a third this year or next........so give the Vikes back their 2025 First rounder, then include Jefferson to be reunited with his best friend K.J. Osboune (that is a plus no one talks about)

3) Let's not stop there. Perhaps Swap picks of that #23 to SF for #31. Plus add our 4th #103 to the Niners for WR Brandon Aiyuk who is not going to get the moeny he wants with Deebo's new contract and that of CMC. Kittle and Purdy coming up. Niners can't afford him and we can.

4) Tke your QB at pick #11 (McCarthy?) or Nix or Penix at #31. Or get OL help or another top WR and still have #34 in the bank.

5) The Drama begins and the hate mail will start....I am double dipping and Drafting QB sleeper Rattler at #68....so there!

What do you think of them apples?
A sure fire method to make McCarthy, Penix , Nix or Rattler better first year QB propects than the Holy Three. Even Brissett or Zappe might look good.

This is NOT Madden.....We can afford to do this. If the Pats profess we want to "weaponize", you have two young stud recievers in which we can afford and who's contracts might be chheap the way thinks are going three of four years from now. As a model look at Burrow. The Bengals OL is not great but he had Higgens and Chase even Tyler Boyd and he as a QB flourished. I am not saying the second tier is Burrow but who knows.

Those second tier QBs would have nothing but the best to catch their passes. Now add Ozzie and Pop and two reasonbale TEs we have signed.

Don't hurt my feelings about this.
DW Toys

Rb- cam akers, jk Dobbins
Both could have a role on this team. I wouldn't expect a lot from jk in his 1st season but if you gave him a light load as a
4th or even 5th back and geared him up for year 2 when ideally he'd be 100% it could pay divedends. Talent is there.
Wr- MVS and DJ chark
MVS and DJ chark fit the X role better than anyone on the team.
TE- Logan Thomas
He has ability and would make a nice 3rd TE
Pats probably see some young talent to build with in the draft so probably not
OLine- Connor williams, Andre dillard, mehki Becton
I was surprised to see dillard still out there
Pats should 100% sign dillard or Becton id take either one of em over chukwuma
Connor williams can play on the inside where ever he is needed
LB Isiah Simmons
Definitely worth a look. Pats LBs are built for the big dog stuff Simmons could finally be able to run around and play free while pats traditional LBs do all the dirty work
DB- xavien Howard, ahkello Witherspoon, JC jackson, stephon Gilmore, Justin Simmons
A # 2 corner is needed and Simmons can play some dang football pats don't have a pure FS 1+1=2

I really think that the new offensive scheme and strong arm QB will be able to unlock Tyquans potential. In college he seemed to run deep routes(Posts, Go, deep corner) best because it highlighted his speed. I don't think that he has been used very well up to this point, He has had injuries as well that may have slowed any development.
Interesting.. considering brissett has a rocket , will we go for the jugular with too many deep throws.

I have a feeling we could be the dark horse this year. Playing with nothing to lose. Just play unconventional .

More risk taking . Lots of going on 4th and short .

Who knows tyquan could potentially come of age..

Interesting.. considering brissett has a rocket , will we go for the jugular with too many deep throws.

I have a feeling we could be the dark horse this year. Playing with nothing to lose. Just play unconventional .

More risk taking . Lots of going on 4th and short .

Who knows tyquan could potentially come of age..
Cousin, Would not be mad if Thornton worked out. The sleeper WR might be Reagor who was a first rounder by Howie and the Eagles but was relegated to only two 30 catch seasons in his tenure there. Was it misuse or getting to understand the NFL being from TCU and needed to mature? 4.22 speed is not taught. He is not small at 5'11" and 197lbs. He's only 25. Can we school him?
DW Toys

I would definitely kick the tires on Tyler Boyd

Cousin, Would not be mad if Thornton worked out. The sleeper WR might be Reagor who was a first rounder by Howie and the Eagles but was relegated to only two 30 catch seasons in his tenure there. Was it misuse or getting to understand the NFL being from TCU and needed to mature? 4.22 speed is not taught. He is not small at 5'11" and 197lbs. He's only 25. Can we school him?
DW Toys
I betting on winning the powerball better odds. :)

I would definitely kick the tires on Tyler Boyd
Eyeroll Ugh GIF

Watch the Pats shock everyone by trading down and taking Brock Bowers
Not with the Two guys they currently have you gotta think a WR like FSU's Keon Coleman is possible. :cool:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back