PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss stuff on Ghost (+ other nuggets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I wanted to add this to the - Is it time to draft a kicker in this years draft? - thread but its locked.

While bringing in a young kicker for TC certainly might happen in near future - the last Ghost's season should not be a call for it. It was a challenging season due to the new rule BB wanted to take full advantage - but a solid season despite hiccups (blown quickly out of proportion by some).

In another great Sunday quick-hit column he puts Ghosts value in the context of possible rule change - The rule would reward kickers who boot kickoffs through the uprights by spotting the football at the 20-yard line for a touchback instead of the 25

Plus some nice other nuggets as well on Gilmore-Butler-Bruschi, Ealy, Cyrus and BB's lacrosse coaching daughter

full article:
Want to make touchbacks a more exciting play? Consider this change
___

quotes:

@GostkowSKI

One leftover from Belichick’s interview with Duke men’s basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski on Sirius XM College Sports Nation last week was on the importance of Gostkowski’s pop-up kickoffs and how they forced teams to return them. Krzyzewski was impressed with how Gostkowski and the coverage unit pinned the Atlanta Falcons deep in their territory late in Super Bowl LI, with Belichick agreeing and pointing out that the team’s season ended the way it started because Gostkowski’s skill in that area also showed up in the season opener against the Arizona Cardinals. Had Gostkowski not executed similarly in the opener, when Arizona's final drive started at its 8-yard line, a 47-yard potentially game-winning field-goal attempt that was no good could have instead been from around 30 yards. The biggest takeaway: Every yard counts and Gostkowski’s ability to place kickoffs between the goal line and 5-yard line with hang time had great value to the Patriots in 2016 -- from the opening game to the last game.
_

@ lacrosse coaching daughter

Belichick’s presence at college pro days generally draws a significant media response given his standing as the NFL’s top coach (e.g. Ohio State on Thursday; Michigan on Friday), but it was the final trip of this past week that undoubtedly meant more to him than anything else. On Saturday, which was also his son Stephen’s 30th birthday, Belichick was in his native Annapolis and watched Navy take on Holy Cross in women’s lacrosse action. Holy Cross, of course, is coached by his daughter, Amanda. It wasn’t the result Holy Cross was hoping for (17-6 loss), but one has to imagine it was still a special day for Belichick because it combined two of the most important things in his life.
_

@ Cyrus

Cornerback Cyrus Jones, the Patriots’ top 2016 draft choice (60th overall) who had a rocky first year, is hoping to spark a turnaround in 2017. To do so, I’m told he has been training hard in New Jersey, with the goal to return to the club’s offseason program next month and, as someone close to him explained, “getting back to what the Patriots drafted him to be, a significant part of the team.”

Id prefer to hear news about Cyrus training his mind. This “hard on myself“ attitude can be such a boomerang. Of course mental training is much more difficult to do ..

BB and Coach K- doesn't get much better than that.

In another great Sunday quick-hit column he puts Ghosts value in the context of possible rule change - The rule would reward kickers who boot kickoffs through the uprights by spotting the football at the 20-yard line for a touchback instead of the 25

@GostkowSKI
Per Footbaloutsiders, Pats had the best defensive starting position in the league with opponents starting on 24.87 yard line compared to league average of 28.0
Obviously that is punt and kickoffs but those few yards at the beginning can make a diference as BB noted....
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2016 DEFENSIVE DRIVE STATS

I'm not a fan of the proposed kickoff rule. It's gimmicky.

It is gimmicky, but it does add a variable and could change the strategy on a usually uneventful play.

I actually did not like moving the extra point back. I don't want NFL games decided by a kicker on an extra point. I'd say eliminate the extra point entirely, except the decision to go for two is a great part of the game, so you can't. But adding kicker value on kickoffs works for me.

It is gimmicky, but it does add a variable and could change the strategy on a usually uneventful play.

I actually did not like moving the extra point back. I don't want NFL games decided by a kicker on an extra point. I'd say eliminate the extra point entirely, except the decision to go for two is a great part of the game, so you can't. But adding kicker value on kickoffs works for me.
So you're in favor of this gimmick but not the extra point move, which adds far more strategy to the game than this gimmick proposal? To each his own, I guess. But the extra point thing was great for the game, IMO. You need only recall the SEA v AZ game last season (I believe the first meeting on prime time). It was epic.

Id prefer to hear news about Cyrus training his mind. This “hard on myself“ attitude can be such a boomerang. Of course mental training is much more difficult to do ..

I'm going to consider Jones as if he were a UDFA, just hoping to avoid getting cut, and having few, to no, chances for screw ups. He was so bad last year that BB's got to be looking at him somewhat close to that. He's got to know that this team can't afford (numbers wise) an Aaron Dobson 2.0 situation this year.

So you're in favor of this gimmick but not the extra point move, which adds far more strategy to the game than this gimmick proposal? To each his own, I guess. But the extra point thing was great for the game, IMO. You need only recall the SEA v AZ game last season (I believe the first meeting on prime time). It was epic.

Proposed kickoff rule sucks hard
Current PAT rule sucks harder

Now we can all get along.

Watch, Belichick will sign Manute Bol to swat kickoffs before they clear the crossbar.

Manute Bol?!?!?!

Dikembe-Mutombo-No.gif

And I'm also not a fan of having rules changed EVERY damn off season now! WTF?! :mad:

Here's an idea....... permit the rules committee to propose new rules or mods to rules ONLY when the CBA is renewed.

THAT could make negotiations really interesting if those new rules/changes were required to be announced before the CBA talks began. :cool:

I'm not a fan of the proposed kickoff rule. It's gimmicky.

Under this proposed rule the kickers will be practicing the exact play that would have precipitated an enormous discussion in the last Superbowl. After Edelmen caught a Fair catch at the 35 yard line with 3 seconds left, under an somewhat obscure rule, Belichick could have attempted a Free Kick.

Under Free Kick rules no one can rush the kicker and he can try a low trajectory kick unimpeded by any blockers. Ghost could have tried a kick through the uprights as a Free Kick Field Goal from 75 yards away. Had it been successful the Pats would have won in regulation.

This would have engendered a controversy at least equal to the infamous Tuck Rule play.

Here's an idea....... permit the rules committee to propose new rules or mods to rules ONLY when the CBA is renewed.

THAT could make negotiations really interesting if those new rules/changes were required to be announced before the CBA talks began. :cool:
You know, that's a GREAT idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back