PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss says we signed Falcons OT Will Svitek

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Twitter. Don't really know this guy. (Svitek not Reiss.)

Re: Reiss says we sugned OT Will Svitek

So long Sebass...that kinda sucks.

From Rotoworld...

In the league since 2005, Svitek missed all of 2012 with an upper-arm injury, but was the Falcons' swing tackle in 2010-11. He started 10 games in place of Sam Baker at left tackle in 2011. Svitek provides cheap, veteran insurance for a team that's been in a holding pattern with free agent RT Sebastian Vollmer. Svitek may compete with Marcus Cannon for "swing" duties in Pats camp

Depth

He was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the sixth round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He played college football at Stanford

Code:
Season	Team	                G	 GS
2011	Atlanta Falcons 	16	10
2010	Atlanta Falcons 	16	0
2009	Atlanta Falcons 	13	2
2007	Kansas City Chiefs 	13	4
2006	Kansas City Chiefs 	2	0
2005	Kansas City Chiefs 	1	0

Insurance and competition for Cannon and Zusevics.

IMHO, the norm should be four OT's, with one being able to play RG (Cannon).

Of course, for now, Svitek is the replacement for Vollmer on our roster.

So long Sebass...that kinda sucks.

Insurance

IMHO, the norm should be four OT's, with one being able to play RG (Cannon).

I hope you're right. We need Vollmer back, but not at ANY price.

Reiss says we signed OT Will Svitek

Another ham and egg add on. Where is the blockbuster deal?!?!

I like it. They may feel Cannon is ready to start and now have insurance. I think SV is gone. I think the $ money saved is going to a WR

Cant keep everyone and have talent everywhere. Gotta gamble on Cannon so that they can spend $.

We had our blockbuster in 2007. It was called Adalius Thomas. I can't remember too many since. I think Bill decided after Thomas that it's not ideal. I am a bit surprised they offered Jennings.

Free agency is about guys like Adrian Wilson for this team. Not blockbusters.

Of course, until it changes that is. Just when you think you have Bill figured out, he throws you a curve ball.

Why do you need a huge deal on one player?

To keep up with the Vikings or Dolphins????

In prior years we would be replacing those two names with "Jets" and "Redskins".

Do you have any chance of understanding the meaning of that?

You are right. How dare they get roster depth, or cheap insurance, or see if a vet might still have it, or take a flyer to see if a guy gets a 2nd life in a new system...or see if Dante can bring out his best.

They should only do blockbuster deals for every position. That way we can win all the time.

Idiotic

In any case, we needed a backup LT. Svitek is certainly at least that.

It remains to be seem whether he is our swing tackle on Game Day.

Obviously, one alternative is that Vollmer is gone and that Cannon and Svitek (in either order) will be our starting RT and swing OT.

Replacement for Donald Thomas. But with Dante he could be a solid starter.

Blockbuster signing usually do not produce blockbuster production. In fact, many times they are busts. I think a year or two from now, the Dolphins are going regret making a blockbuster deal for Mike Wallace.

We had our blockbuster in 2007. It was called Adalius Thomas. I can't remember too many since. I think Bill decided after Thomas that it's not ideal. I am a bit surprised they offered Jennings.

Free agency is about guys like Adrian Wilson for this team. Not blockbusters.

Of course, until it changes that is. Just when you think you have Bill figured out, he throws you a curve ball.

I don't think I will ever get him figured out. Still can't get over his habit of hoarding picks and using them on garbage draftees. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears last year when we actually traded up. Shocker :eek:

Why do you need a huge deal on one player?

To keep up with the Vikings or Dolphins????

In prior years we would be replacing those two names with "Jets" and "Redskins".

Do you have any chance of understanding the meaning of that?

Thank you for the quick reminder and educational gem of wisdom. I do have a very good understanding of how things work, thank you very much. But so far, the positions we need help with the most are in the backfield, pass-rush, and WR. None of these are being addressed with any sort of urgency. Wilson was a step in the right direction, and Donald Jones is a big question mark. On top of that, Lloyd is gone, Welker is gone, and instead of pursuing proven talent, we're ****ing around with some no names in OT that didn't play at all last year.

As for Miami.... I'm bookmarking this post.... I will meet you here at the end of the season to re-address how those add-ons down there worked for them. Mark my words now: Miami is our biggest threat within the division, going into this upcoming season.

You are right. How dare they get roster depth, or cheap insurance, or see if a vet might still have it, or take a flyer to see if a guy gets a 2nd life in a new system...or see if Dante can bring out his best.

They should only do blockbuster deals for every position. That way we can win all the time.

Idiotic

As I stated above, we have other BIGGER concerns on this team. Not that adding insurance is a bad idea, but the free agency window is closing on us fast. Names are being taken off the board, and we're failing to address our UTTER MOST IMPORTANT NEEDS! We can always add 'cheap' insurance later, but when time is of the essence, such as during the free agency window, you need to prioritize your needs.

As for 'cheap'..... Football isn't any different than most other things in life: More often than not, you get what you pay for!

Moronic :rolleyes:

Blockbuster signing usually do not produce blockbuster production. In fact, many times they are busts. I think a year or two from now, the Dolphins are going regret making a blockbuster deal for Mike Wallace.

You have to separate the name from the price. Mike Wallace is a fantastic deep threat. What Miami decided to pay him is a different story. For all you know, he would have settled for less. And though blockbuster deals do not usually produce blockbuster performances, the odds of a blockbuster deal producing stellar results, are multiples higher than some egg and ham, no name, producing them. (Re: Arrington)

Value pick for someone who probably won't be on our top 51. Some size, some game experience. Dimitroff probably gave BB the inside info on him. He could wind up being everything from camp fodder to making the team as OL depth, or the starter. Just another guy who we sign who is not going to be a favorite to make the final roster, but will compete for. I think we have another 20 guys to go.

We will have to wait and see. I have worried about Vollmer's back, when a guy that size and starts having back issues when so young that is sometimes a situation that may not ever improve.

The Patriots know far more about Vollmer's back and his future prospects than we do. That plus their gauge of Cannon's progress will determine how much (or whether) we will pay to bring Vollmer back. In any event with Thomas leaving we needed another swing guy.

If we aren't planning on bringing Vollmer back this signing makes a lot of sense. IMO either the 1st or 2nd pick will be used on and OLman (the other for a DT).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back