PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: How did the Belichick-Kraft Patriots partnership end?

I agree with your earlier post that Belichick wanted out.

But that's because his power had been eroded badly.

Not only last year, but in previous years as well.

He was submarined by management.

Go back to the poor drafts of '18-20. Think about all the wasted draft picks we made on trades like Sanu or losing Deflategate trades. We were trying to maximize the Super Bowl window. We lost picks to bogus investigations. We sold the future to have one more shot at a Super Bowl. I don't look back with regret, I support it.

So what happens next? Just as the team is starting a total rebuild, the poor drafts of those years puts the owner in the position of stripping some powers from the coach/GM. We're talking about 2021 here. Then coaching decisions are made behind the coach's back. Then finally successor decisions.

The only conclusion is that Belichick was torpedoed by all of this. It's a wonder the players kept playing for him.
I can agree. To some a degree the butchering of the QB position in '22 is what started the process. Kraft was livid according to Curran about how Bill set up the coaching staff around the QB.. I believe that ownership felt the need to interject.. maybe they didn't trust Bills decisions anymore? The thing is Bill was management. The people he surrounded himself with weren't as talented as past coaches crennel, wies, Seely. I understand teams wanted to pull from Bills staff, but the replacements weren't up to Parr. Former lacrosse players ect. I mentioned this because it's all relative to how the coaching and internal issues were amiss.

I can agree. To some a degree the butchering of the QB position in '22 is what started the process. Kraft was livid according to Curran about how Bill set up the coaching staff around the QB.. I believe that ownership felt the need to interject.. maybe they didn't trust Bills decisions anymore? The thing is Bill was management. The people he surrounded himself with weren't as talented as past coaches crennel, wies, Seely. I understand teams wanted to pull from Bills staff, but the replacements weren't up to Parr. Former lacrosse players ect. I mentioned this because it's all relative to how the coaching and internal issues were amiss.
That former lacrosse player heads the best unit on the team. I don't know how much he has to do with it but Austin, Bryant, Wade, amazing organization for a bunch of players when the 3 guys ahead of him got hurt.

They still had Mayo, Covington out there. B'OB.

He didn't *invite* it, he was *the* gossiper.
This has all been orchestrated since Mayo left 'Quick Slants' and took the job on the Patriots staff. Curran knew very well how to work the media piece, and Mayo worked his.

Are you in the front office, or on the coaching staff? It has to be one or the other to have the first hand knowledge you claim to have.

That former lacrosse player heads the best unit on the team. I don't know how much he has to do with it but Austin, Bryant, Wade, amazing organization for a bunch of players when the 3 guys ahead of him got hurt.

They still had Mayo, Covington out there. B'OB.
Pelligrino is tasked with the CBs.. and he has done a great job for a lacrosse player. Maybe he played pop Warner football is while Bill thought he could help! I'll agree with you. Bryant and Wade with extended times have gotten better. However Mayo, Steve and covington made that defense go! Beast-more and Tavai have raved about how covington has helped them become better players.

We used to laugh at other teams for the **** they did on and off the field but now the roles are reversed and we’re doing the same ****

I think that depends upon how much credence you give to all of these reports. I’m sure there is some truth in the mix, but the specificity people are claiming is only known by those involved, and even those reports are spun to the advantage of those doing the talking.

Pelligrino is tasked with the CBs.. and he has done a great job for a lacrosse player. Maybe he played pop Warner football is while Bill thought he could help! I'll agree with you. Bryant and Wade with extended times have gotten better. However Mayo, Steve and covington made that defense go! Beast-more and Tavai have raved about how covington has helped them become better players.
You can't denigrate a coach whose whose position group is not only best on the team, but one of the best on the league, especially when Gonzalez, Marcus Jones, Jack Jones (given the heave ho) and even injured Jon Jones are all lost to him from training camp.

I think that depends upon how much credence you give to all of these reports. I’m sure there is some truth in the mix, but the specificity people are claiming is only known by those involved, and even those reports are spun to the advantage of those doing the talking.
Some one posted a link to this same story about Jakobi coming out after the 3rd game of the season before everything bottomed out.

You can't denigrate a coach whose whose position group is not only best on the team, but one of the best on the league, especially when Gonzalez, Marcus Jones, Jack Jones (given the heave ho) and even injured Jon Jones are all lost to him from training camp.
Not denigrating him at the least. I mentioned he did a great job with the CBs I just stated how Mayo, Steve and covington had more impact.

Not denigrating him at the least. I mentioned he did a great job with the CBs I just stated how Mayo, Steve and covington had more impact.
It's really unknown. I hope that's the case because these are the guys we hope have some continuity on defense. But since one guy is with the linebackers and edge guys and the other is with the D-linemen, we don't know

It's really unknown. I hope that's the case because these are the guys we hope have some continuity on defense. But since one guy is with the linebackers and edge guys and the other is with the D-linemen, we don't know
I believe all the defensive coaches all chip in and play a part one way or another.. just my thinking

Some one posted a link to this same story about Jakobi coming out after the 3rd game of the season before everything bottomed out.

I guess it depends upon the source and how much credence a person gives them. For the most part Curran and Reiss are pretty level headed and reliable, but these days there is so much ******** out there posing as journalism that I’m far less likely to believe it unless I believe in the source. I’m not passing judgement on whether it’s true or not, as I have absolutely no idea.

And even as I say that I made the mistake of giving credit to a report from Emanuel Acho that Caleb William’s was refusing to declare for the Draft if Chicago kept the first pick, only to find out shortly thereafter that it was a ******** story.

I guess it depends upon the source and how much credence a person gives them. For the most part Curran and Reiss are pretty level headed and reliable, but these days there is so much ******** out there posing as journalism that I’m far less likely to believe it unless I believe in the source. I’m not passing judgement on whether it’s true or not, as I have absolutely no idea.

And even as I say that I made the mistake of giving credit to a report from Emanuel Acho that Caleb William’s was refusing to declare for the Draft if Chicago kept the first pick, only to find out shortly thereafter that it was a ******** story.
Agree. I'm more skeptical than anyone. In this case the September writer was also Callahan.

Bill torpedoed himself with his lousy draft picks & UFAs and his hiring of under-qualified FO people & ass-istant coaches.
Then fire him.

Don't undercut the team and blame others for your own meddling.

It's dumb as hell to undercut your coach. If you don't want the coach, fire him.

This is purely amateur hour

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back