PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: “Next man up doesn’t just apply to Patriots players. It includes coaches and personnel execs"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he has done a poor job as OC with 3 other teams.

No one KNOWS what he will do there is just a lot of reasons to doubt his ability.

I was not wild about the 2012 AFCCG game plan on offense. It was their worst of the season and just so happened to coincide with his return to the team. I have to wonder how much he had to do with it. I agree. I don't want to see the day where Daboll takes over for McDaniels as OC.

I was not wild about the 2012 AFCCG game plan on offense. It was their worst of the season and just so happened to coincide with his return to the team. I have to wonder how much he had to do with it. I agree. I don't want to see the day where Daboll takes over for McDaniels as OC.
I think it's a stretch to blame a game plan in an assistant who isn't the coordinator.
Nonetheless Daboll has never impressed me in any of his roles.

I think Charlie is basically retired anyway. Hes 61 or around there.

If Josh and BOB aren't here in 2017, with the Super Bowl window still open w/ TB12 QBing this team, I am very skeptical Daboll can be the innovative OC that this offense needs. For that reason, I'd rather have Charlie as hes been there done that
This offense has grown by miles since Charlie's days though.
Honestly I think what's in place and with Brady here it's hard to screw it up. If anyone could though...

Let's hope chad O'Shea is really the guy who has been groomed. The only reason to think it is daboll is that he was here first but he also left, failed and came back to REALLY a lesser role.

I think it's a stretch to blame a game plan in an assistant who isn't the coordinator.
Nonetheless Daboll has never impressed me in any of his roles.

I don't have the proof necessary that Daboll was behind it so I'm not blaming him. What I was pondering is how much input he had in it. I remember his offense in Miami and it was absolutely woeful. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the OC job.

Agree with your analysis. However I'm not sure that the available opportunities include a win for him. Were Detroit open Yes, or if CIN had opened, Yes or if Jax doesn't hire the old coot, a lesser Yes. Otherwise No to SF, LA etc.

I agree about the right opportunity, but I'm not certain that LA is such a bad job. That team has some interesting building blocks, plus decent salary cap space in a market that should be attractive to FAs. If Josh and Nick could go together it might be tempting.

This offense has grown by miles since Charlie's days though.
Honestly I think what's in place and with Brady here it's hard to screw it up. If anyone could though...

Let's hope chad O'Shea is really the guy who has been groomed. The only reason to think it is daboll is that he was here first but he also left, failed and came back to REALLY a lesser role.

I think Charlie could pick it up and expand on it. I wonder if he still has the drive.

I'd be fine with O'Shea. BB sees something in Daboll. What I have no idea.

Brian Daboll ready to step in to lead the Patriots offense
  • The Pats have spent a few years grooming tight ends coach Brian Daboll as McDaniels’ successor. The Patriots’ system is designed to promote from within, and Daboll returned here in January 2013 to solidify the foundation.
  • Daboll, 41, has worked as an offensive coordinator with the Browns (2009-10), Dolphins (2011) and Chiefs (2012), and those additional summer duties with the Patriots have kept him fresh. Daboll served as the offensive play-caller during the preseason finale in each of the past two years, and filled the same role for Brady’s team during the two blue-white scrimmages at training camp.
  • His knowledge of the system dates back to his time as the wide receivers coach under Charlie Weis, and Daboll always remained close with Bill Belichick, even when he joined Eric Mangini’s Jets staff in 2007
  • When Belichick attends events, his inner circle routinely includes McDaniels, defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, right-hand man Ernie Adams and Daboll

I feel 100% certain that McDaniels sees this as his year to try again for a HC job. I knew it months ago.

Remember that series of interviews? They ones were Josh gave journalists a ton of access as he bared his soul about all of the mistakes he made in his first rodeo, and how much he's changed as a coach and a man?

Those weren't just press interviews, they were the first stage of job interviews. He was establishing a new narrative for himself: the former arrogant wunderkind who was humbled, has matured and gained perspective, and is now truly ready to fulfill his potential. It's an effective narrative, in large part because it's probably true.

I believe this is one of the articles you're referring to. Really good piece from BR (rarity).

The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His Spots

I feel 100% certain that McDaniels sees this as his year to try again for a HC job. I knew it months ago.

Remember that series of interviews? They ones were Josh gave journalists a ton of access as he bared his soul about all of the mistakes he made in his first rodeo, and how much he's changed as a coach and a man?

Those weren't just press interviews, they were the first stage of job interviews. He was establishing a new narrative for himself: the former arrogant wunderkind who was humbled, has matured and gained perspective, and is now truly ready to fulfill his potential. It's an effective narrative, in large part because it's probably true.

Also made clear in November when the whole "Josh as BB's successor" meme arose which was quickly swatted down by BB, who made it clear that Josh, Matt and Nick all should be considered for the key jobs:

(warning: BSPN) Bill Belichick: Josh McDaniels worthy of consideration for head-coaching job

In the same report we read:
During his weekly conference call Tuesday, McDaniels was asked about that.

“I’m aware of the report and I’ll try to clear that up. Look, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I definitely would love to be a head coach again. There are only 32 of those in the world. They are opportunities that don’t come around very often, and if you would ever be so fortunate and blessed to have another opportunity to do it -- for myself, it would be a second time -- that would be an opportunity I would look forward to,” he said.

“It would have to be at the right place and the right time, which is what I’ve always said. I try to make good decisions, what’s best for my family and myself. Again, somebody would have to offer that opportunity because you’re lucky if you get that. That’s my mindset, and anything that was reported about my thinking or my plans or the things that I want to do -- the other day I saw that; those things I would say are unfounded.

“That being said, that’s all I’ll say about it. I love being here, I’m excited to get to work on the Jets, and look forward to practicing with our guys.”

So, yes, Josh has been auditioning in public for quite a long time now.

Pepper Johnson just got greased by the Jets. I wonder if he'd return in some coaching capacity, provided he didn't burn any bridges when he left.
is greased a term used for someone who is fired? i dont know if ive ever heard it in that context

is greased a term used for someone who is fired? i dont know if ive ever heard it in that context
Yes. Actually means "killed" or "f#####". Showing my age, LOL...

Chip kelly as the OC would be funny at least, having Brady roll out of the pocket and scrambling for 1st downs.

Because he has done a poor job as OC with 3 other teams.

No one KNOWS what he will do there is just a lot of reasons to doubt his ability.

This might put things in context:

Who is Brian Daboll? Patriots life after McDaniels

Daboll had the unfortunate luck of being the coordinator for some very unstable franchises, so it is hard to determine how to distribute blame for the failures at each stop. In Cleveland, Daboll's two years there saw the team finish 29th and 31st in total points, but he was working with the likes of Brady Quinn and Colt McCoy at quarterback, Jerome Harrison and Peyton Hillis as leading running backs, and Mohamed Massaquoi and Ben Watson as leading receivers.

In Miami, Daboll's one year there saw them improve from 30th to 20th in total points, with Matt Moore as the primary starting QB. Their leading rusher was Reggie Bush, and their leading receiver was Brandon Marshall, who was at his worst in terms of chemistry issues during his time in Miami.

When Daboll got to Kansas City, he arrived just in time for their 2-14 season that got them the first overall pick. His offense finished dead last in points scored. At quarterback, time was split between Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn, each going 1-7 in 8 starts. Jamaal Charles had one of the best seasons of his career, accumulating 1500 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns, and Dwayne Bowe was their leading receiver on what was an otherwise atrocious receiving corps.

Interesting stuff. The same article even raises the same concerns you have about Daboll:

While it's clear that Daboll has never had even a competent offense to work with, never mind an elite one that the Patriots have and look to have next year, it is fair to question Daboll's history. He has never been the coordinator of a team that has finished higher than 20th in points scored, despite three separate chances at the job over four seasons.

Although the Patriots offense will clearly be top tier no matter who the coordinator is as long as Tom Brady is performing the way he is and he has the weapons that he has, we saw the difference that McDaniels makes when he left the first time and Bill O'Brien stepped in. After having no official offensive coordinator in 2009 and 2010, O'Brien took over in 2011.

While the Patriots finished 6th, 1st, and 3rd in scoring over those 3 years, there was a clear impact made when McDaniels returned at the end of 2011 and took back the coordinator job in 2012.

Although the offense is going to be elite no matter who is running the ship (they were even elite with nobody running the ship), having the right guy has proven to make the offense borderline unfair. While the next guy is already in place, whether he's the right man for the job remains to be seen.

This might put things in context:

Who is Brian Daboll? Patriots life after McDaniels

Daboll had the unfortunate luck of being the coordinator for some very unstable franchises, so it is hard to determine how to distribute blame for the failures at each stop. In Cleveland, Daboll's two years there saw the team finish 29th and 31st in total points, but he was working with the likes of Brady Quinn and Colt McCoy at quarterback, Jerome Harrison and Peyton Hillis as leading running backs, and Mohamed Massaquoi and Ben Watson as leading receivers.

In Miami, Daboll's one year there saw them improve from 30th to 20th in total points, with Matt Moore as the primary starting QB. Their leading rusher was Reggie Bush, and their leading receiver was Brandon Marshall, who was at his worst in terms of chemistry issues during his time in Miami.

When Daboll got to Kansas City, he arrived just in time for their 2-14 season that got them the first overall pick. His offense finished dead last in points scored. At quarterback, time was split between Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn, each going 1-7 in 8 starts. Jamaal Charles had one of the best seasons of his career, accumulating 1500 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns, and Dwayne Bowe was their leading receiver on what was an otherwise atrocious receiving corps.

Interesting stuff. The same article even raises the same concerns you have about Daboll:

While it's clear that Daboll has never had even a competent offense to work with, never mind an elite one that the Patriots have and look to have next year, it is fair to question Daboll's history. He has never been the coordinator of a team that has finished higher than 20th in points scored, despite three separate chances at the job over four seasons.

Although the Patriots offense will clearly be top tier no matter who the coordinator is as long as Tom Brady is performing the way he is and he has the weapons that he has, we saw the difference that McDaniels makes when he left the first time and Bill O'Brien stepped in. After having no official offensive coordinator in 2009 and 2010, O'Brien took over in 2011.

While the Patriots finished 6th, 1st, and 3rd in scoring over those 3 years, there was a clear impact made when McDaniels returned at the end of 2011 and took back the coordinator job in 2012.

Although the offense is going to be elite no matter who is running the ship (they were even elite with nobody running the ship), having the right guy has proven to make the offense borderline unfair. While the next guy is already in place, whether he's the right man for the job remains to be seen.
I never believe in excuses for failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots