PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: “Next man up doesn’t just apply to Patriots players. It includes coaches and personnel execs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Very informtive article by Reiss about the Patriots in-house operation and plans to replace Patricia, McDaniels, and Casserio

Examining next in line should Patriots' coordinators, personnel exec depart

Major points:

1. Tight ends coach Brian Daboll likely would be the leading in-house to elevate to the role of Offensive Coordinator. Having gotten his start in New England (2000-06), he has experience as a coordinator with the Cleveland Browns (2009-10), Miami Dolphins (2011) and Kansas City Chiefs (2012).

2. On defense, the path seems clear for linebackers coach Brian Flores to step up. The Boston College alumnus (Class of 2003) is taking a similar path to Patricia: starting as a coaching assistant, briefly focusing on offense, before working on multiple levels on defense with safeties and linebackers. He is highly regarded as a coach on the rise.

3. Similar to when Scott Pioli departed in 2009 to become Kansas City's general manager and Caserio essentially replaced him as an in-house promotion, current director of college scouting Monti Ossenfort would likely be next in line now. This is his 12th year with the Patriots; he's worked his way up the ranks from scouting assistant to area scout, national scout, assistant director of college scouting and now director.

I'm hoping O'Shea is next man up on offensive staff. Daboll would be over his head imo.

Well, then why was Googs brought a couple of years ago when he was a sports radio host (with some coaching experience)?

Yes, they like to hire from within but they're not totally adverse to bringing in outside guys.

Pepper Johnson just got greased by the Jets. I wonder if he'd return in some coaching capacity, provided he didn't burn any bridges when he left.

Pepper Johnson just got greased by the Jets. I wonder if he'd return in some coaching capacity, provided he didn't burn any bridges when he left.
Mentioned this in another thread, Johnson was passed over for promotions here, so I don't think either side would want him to come back.

My hope is that only one of the three leaves at this point, because it's an easier transition to have to fill the void one at a time. Having 2 or 3 go at the same time would be more challenging. Forced to guess, I'd say they'll all move on, because owners want to take that Patriots magic, ignoring the fact that the coaching success of these guys is mixed at best. (Personnel guys seem to have more success so far.)

Mentioned this in another thread, Johnson was passed over for promotions here, so I don't think either side would want him to come back.

My hope is that only one of the three leaves at this point, because it's an easier transition to have to fill the void one at a time. Having 2 or 3 go at the same time would be more challenging. Forced to guess, I'd say they'll all move on, because owners want to take that Patriots magic, ignoring the fact that the coaching success of these guys is mixed at best. (Personnel guys seem to have more success so far.)
Yeah, I agree with the vast majority of what you wrote. If I recall correctly, Johnson left when he got passed over for DC and MP got it. I most skeptical about Nick C. leaving. If I had to rank order them in terms of most likely to leave to least likely, I'd guess McD, MP then Nick C.

I'm hoping O'Shea is next man up on offensive staff. Daboll would be over his head imo.

I'm with you. Daboll does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

I'd rather see Charlie back.

don't underestimate the fact the Casarrio and McDaniel are bets friends. There could be a lot power in an offer from a team that allows them to go to some team together.
Agreed, I believe they both went John Carroll, perhaps at the same time.

Yeah, I agree with the vast majority of what you wrote. If I recall correctly, Johnson left when he got passed over for DC and MP got it. I most skeptical about Nick C. leaving. If I had to rank order them in terms of most likely to leave to least likely, I'd guess McD, MP then Nick C.
Agreed about Josh--in fact, I'd say if he doesn't go this year he's not going.

I feel 100% certain that McDaniels sees this as his year to try again for a HC job. I knew it months ago.

Remember that series of interviews? They ones were Josh gave journalists a ton of access as he bared his soul about all of the mistakes he made in his first rodeo, and how much he's changed as a coach and a man?

Those weren't just press interviews, they were the first stage of job interviews. He was establishing a new narrative for himself: the former arrogant wunderkind who was humbled, has matured and gained perspective, and is now truly ready to fulfill his potential. It's an effective narrative, in large part because it's probably true.

I'm very interested in Flores as DC, he could be good but I just don't know enough about him as a coach. We'd have to see how he performs when (if) he gets the job.

I'm a little less comfortable with Daboll. He seems to be a significant downgrade from Josh. I could be totally wrong though, we won't know until we see them in action.

How to people know if Dabboll can do it without working with him personally...?

I feel 100% certain that McDaniels sees this as his year to try again for a HC job. I knew it months ago.

Remember that series of interviews? They ones were Josh gave journalists a ton of access as he bared his soul about all of the mistakes he made in his first rodeo, and how much he's changed as a coach and a man?

Those weren't just press interviews, they were the first stage of job interviews. He was establishing a new narrative for himself: the former arrogant wunderkind who was humbled, has matured and gained perspective, and is now truly ready to fulfill his potential. It's an effective narrative, in large part because it's probably true.
The fact that he is interviewing says he is leaving if he gets an offer. Unless it's a bad offer, bad in terms of organization and structure more than money. I personally think roster have nothing to do with his decision but the understanding that if the roster sucks it won't be fixed overnight is.

If he learned anything from BB he will take the tough route and make long term decisions even if they hurt you in the short term.

Agree with your analysis. However I'm not sure that the available opportunities include a win for him. Were Detroit open Yes, or if CIN had opened, Yes or if Jax doesn't hire the old coot, a lesser Yes. Otherwise No to SF, LA etc.

I think Charlie is beyond his usefulness.

I think Charlie is basically retired anyway. Hes 61 or around there.

If Josh and BOB aren't here in 2017, with the Super Bowl window still open w/ TB12 QBing this team, I am very skeptical Daboll can be the innovative OC that this offense needs. For that reason, I'd rather have Charlie as hes been there done that

Agreed. If Bill thinks he can, my money says he can...

Agreed. If Bill thinks he can, my money says he can...

I'm still skeptical but because Daboll will be sandwiched by the GoAT coach and GoAT QB those are the two best guardrails you can ask for.

Because he has done a poor job as OC with 3 other teams.

No one KNOWS what he will do there is just a lot of reasons to doubt his ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back