PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox reportedly sign Carl Crawford to 7 year $142 million deal

Can Yankee fans stop comparing Brett Gardner to Carl Crawford. Brett is a good player and Carl is a much, much better player.

hes only a much much better player because you signed him. Seriously a few sox fans I know wanted Werth over him because they said a healthy Ellsbury is a much cheaper option to what Carl would be bringing to the table. Is he as good? Obviously not but what Carl brings to the table probably isn't worth what hes being paid.

brett gardner on his best day isnt carl crawford. thats laughable:D i don't care what teams they play on lol lol

I like the Gonzalez move, but this move is the kind of one that has made me less interested in the Sox the past several years. The classic Theo moderate overpay. Say what you want about Dan Duquette, but when he ponied up, it was for a stud. Manny & Pedro provided the core for what became the team(s) that broke the curse. I feel more comfortable breaking the bank on sure-things like those guys. Or like Adrian Gonzalez, for instance.

If the Yanks or Sox want to get get the best player available and do so b/c they are in a financial situation which allows them to do so, so be it. They earn the right to do so by having a successful and profitable team.

But overpaying for guys like JD Drew, Lugo, Renteria and Crawford or even Lackey, or the Beckett re-sign, it's just boring. Ironically, it feels cheap.

Great post.

I'm not even convinced that Crawford is going to hit in the front of this lineup. It's more likely he's going to take Nancy Drew's place as the overpaid #7 hitter. Youkilis is too good to hit 5th, it will probably be Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youkilis, Gonzalez, then Ortiz as the first 5 hitters.

Crawford is now the highest paid outfielders in baseball, but was he ever considered this elite? His defense isn't as valuable in Fenway's left field, and his 0.335 on-base percentage isn't anything special.

Sox overpaid by a lot in this case. John Lackey is another above average player who won't nearly produce as much as we are paying him.

The Lackey, Crawford, and even Beckett signings may being a huge albatross in a short period of time.

Last edited:
Why would you expect ellsbury to lead off over Crawford?

Why do people keep throwing around the word "cheaper"? This is baseball. There is no salary cap. The Sox have one of the highest payrolls in the league and a fanbase that shows up regularly on game day to show for it. If they can get a solid player in all aspects of baseball (which is what Crawford is), they should. Why? They can afford it.

Sox overpaid by a lot in this case. John Lackey is another above average player who won't nearly produce as much as we are paying him.

I agree, the overpays DO affect the team in the long term. Who knows, maybe we could've paid Texiera had we not been overpaying guys like Drew, Lugo, etc.

Felger & Mazz went over the contracts comparable to Crawford's - and its a joke the kind of company he is in in terms of $$s. He is no peer to them in talent or production.

He's a good player, but honestly, the contract is basically twice the size it needs to be.

If they can get a solid player in all aspects of baseball (which is what Crawford is), they should. Why? They can afford it.

It's never good practice to overpay a guy. I don't think anyone else was going to hand Crawford a contract nearly that rich, so why did we? Same with JD Drew. We bid against ourselves.

Overpaying these 2nd tier guys - Drew, Lackey, Clement, Beckett, Lugo, Renteria - adds up. In the meantime, we've missed out on better players who would've cost more, but been better value. In the end, we pay the same total amount for a collection of parts which are less than the sum of the one stud we could've had.

It's a bad strategy, and it makes Red Sox baseball boring & predictable to follow. That said, yes, at least they are spending this year and adding intriguing pieces to the team. It will help the ratings, I am sure.

Why would you expect ellsbury to lead off over Crawford?

Crawford won't lead off. He doesn't like to (publically known), and he sucks at it to boot. He takes fewer than 4 pitches per AB, and his career OBP is .337 which is abysmal for a lead off hitter. Crawford will likely hit 3rd (maybe 2nd) for the Sox. He's said to prefer batting 3rd to anything else. So my guess is an Ellsbury, Pedroia, Crawford 1, 2, 3. Although Drew could possibly lead off too. He has a high OBP, takes tons of pitches, and can run a little bit.

Why do people keep throwing around the word "cheaper"? This is baseball. There is no salary cap. The Sox have one of the highest payrolls in the league and a fanbase that shows up regularly on game day to show for it. If they can get a solid player in all aspects of baseball (which is what Crawford is), they should. Why? They can afford it.

yankee fans have been saying this for years.

I don't mind the amount of $ per year they are paying crawford but the 7 years really bothers me.....If he was a great Pure hitter like A-Gon than it might be worth it but for a guy that rely's on speed as a Huge part of his game will slow down faster.....I would have preferred a 4-5 year deal....We can all blame the stupid ***** Nationals with the Werth deal which is what set the precedence of all these other deals.....

It's never good practice to overpay a guy. I don't think anyone else was going to hand Crawford a contract nearly that rich, so why did we? Same with JD Drew. We bid against ourselves.

Crawford is a pretty good hitter whose HR numbers should go up playing at Fenway and is an amazing outfielder. I don't think that's an overpay. He's good in all facets of the game. JD Drew is another story. I wouldn't mind seeing him walk out the door.

Overpaying these 2nd tier guys - Drew, Lackey, Clement, Beckett, Lugo, Renteria - adds up. In the meantime, we've missed out on better players who would've cost more, but been better value. In the end, we pay the same total amount for a collection of parts which are less than the sum of the one stud we could've had.

Who did we miss out on? Texeira? From the looks of it, he never wanted to come here anyway.

It's a bad strategy, and it makes Red Sox baseball boring & predictable to follow. That said, yes, at least they are spending this year and adding intriguing pieces to the team. It will help the ratings, I am sure.

There's no salary cap in the MLB. If upper management wants to spend some money and get some good players while they're at it (both AGon and Crawford are great additions to go along with Ortiz), I don't see why not. Especially with what the Sox pull in every year in revenue. You're certainly entitled to their opinion. Personally, I think that just sitting back and letting the Yankees "overpay" for people while building World Series winning line-ups is boring myself. The Sox spend for good players and have a solid farm system. What more could one ask for?

yankee fans have been saying this for years.

That's why I never gave the Yankees crap for spending like that. If you have the means, use them. The Sox did just that this offseason.

I don't mind the amount of $ per year they are paying crawford but the 7 years really bothers me.....If he was a great Pure hitter like A-Gon than it might be worth it but for a guy that rely's on speed as a Huge part of his game will slow down faster.....I would have preferred a 4-5 year deal....We can all blame the stupid ***** Nationals with the Werth deal which is what set the precedence of all these other deals.....

Baseball players don't lose thier speed. If you check out the really great ones, they were still very fast right up till they quit. Carl Crawford is a great one. He might lose a little, but when you can tag up from second and score, you can afford to lose a little.

Baseball players don't lose thier speed. If you check out the really great ones, they were still very fast right up till they quit. Carl Crawford is a great one. He might lose a little, but when you can tag up from second and score, you can afford to lose a little.
This.

Yes, for some the speed disappears a little as they get older. But Crawford has the body type and fitness habits to keep his speed relatively well when he gets a bit older and if he's in LF his defense isn't going to be a huge drop off. Guys like Ichiro, Pierre and Podsednik are few guys who are older but still have some speed. You also take one of the biggest base-stealing threats away from competitors, which is a huge "addition by subtraction" since our catchers have noodle arms. Crawford is one of the best, pure athletes in the game...he was recruited by big name college football teams to play QB and I believe was recruited on a lesser scale for basketball as well.

I understand people think they overpaid for him and maybe they did a little when you use the tradtional stats to compare him to a Matt Holliday or Carlos Gonzalez, but Crawford should not be compared to Lugo or Drew or Renteria. None of those guys have done what Carl has done consistently over the last eight years. The market for OF'ers in the next 2 years is rather bare, with guys coming back from injuries or other types of reclamation projects (Sizemore, Beltran, Ordonez, etc).

CC was a 6.9 WAR last year and 5.7 a year before that, and this was after spending alot of his career in the "Crappy Devil Ray" team years as a still very respectable 4.0 avg WAR guy. The OBP and protection that the Red Sox line-up offer him vs. what TB had is night and day. He had the NINTH highest WAR among players in the entire league last year. Not ninth among OF'ers, ninth among all position players in the entire Major Leagues. People point to his attitude about not wanting to play CF in Tampa Bay and say he is a little emotionally unstable, but you have to realize this is a guy with 8 years of starting experience at the age of 28-29. He has played on terrible, just awful teams down there and he has played in the playoffs the last two years on a good team that couldn't get their fans excited even for playoff games. When he comes into Fenway Park and sees sold-out crowds day after day, it is electrifying and he will appreciate it.

The Sox have Kalish and Reddick coming up within 2 years, but they aren't "can't miss" superstar prospects. In addition, before arbitration raises and Gonzo/CC contracts, they had something like $80 million coming off the books by the end of 2011 season and Dice-K will probably be gone by the end of 2012 to add another $10 million in relief. Drew, Lowell, Ortiz, V-Mart, Beltre, Scutaro, Bill Hall, and there is a good chance Papelbon may get moved as well.

Their positional needs long term are still OF (Don't fully trust Ellsbury to stay healthy), C and SS. You have Iglesias who may be able to come up and man SS, if Lowrie doesn't pan out. There is no real big name guy for them to miss out on the next couple of years and certainly no big name catchers I know of that are available. They have the money to spend, and that is obvious between their payroll and the fact that they spend a TON more on the draft and prospect bonuses than any other team in the league. They traded away 3 of their top 6 prospects to SD and still have a loaded farm system with additional picks from Martinez and Beltre signings coming in the upcoming draft.

They didn't miss out on Teixeira because they couldn't afford him. They had the highest offer out there (I think) when the Yankees came in at the last second, and it's pretty well known that his wife wanted him to go to NY. A happy wife is a happy life, as the saying goes.

Last edited:
Looks like, IMHO, a contract that will look reasonable for about 3-4 years in and then turn into a lead weight.

I would have saved the money and gone after Pujols next year.

People always talk about how some players cannot handle the NY glare ( Irabu, Weaver, Vasquez, etc) but I don't know if Boston is any more forgiving in that regard.

The real prize FA will be Pujols, with which I can see both the Yankees and Red Sox driving up the price. Who cares if you already have someone at his position or not. The guy is a once in a lifetime hitter. I predict the Giants will get him though.

Success, IMHO, still means developing good players through your farm system. They just aren't cheaper to start but they are indoctrinated in your way of playing baseball and with your franchise. I don't know if the Red Sox have really done that as much as they need to in order to stay competitive in the AL East.

Success, IMHO, still means developing good players through your farm system. They just aren't cheaper to start but they are indoctrinated in your way of playing baseball and with your franchise. I don't know if the Red Sox have really done that as much as they need to in order to stay competitive in the AL East.

?

The Red Sox have already developed two, top-of-the-rotation starters in Lester and Buchholz, a second-basemen in Pedroia, Youkilis, Papelbon, Bard, Ellsbury, and soon we'll be adding Kalish to this list. They also have two first round picks and two supplemental picks for an upcoming deep draft. Their farm system took a hit after the Gonzalez trade, but they'll be fine after the 2010 draftees start getting their work in and after the 2011 draft. It's not that hard to rebuild a farm system if you know how to draft.

There's nothing to worry about. The Red Sox are set for the next 5 years and are currently the best team in the AL East and arguably baseball.

This contract is going to be a nightmare in three years, maybe sooner. This should help quiet the pink hats...

Last edited by a moderator:
This contract is going to be a nightmare in three years, maybe sooner. This should help quiet the pink hats...

I don't care. I live for today because your a long time dead. I'll let them deal with the fall out and enjoy his services while he is here. Besides, the owner is a billionaire who will broker deals to make up for the loss when he cuts him. He will probably lose 300 million elsewhere over 6 months over another bad investment in another area of one of his 100's of ventures.

We're evil and I like it. When the MFY's were buying up every good player I was po'd because it wasn't fair. But I always thought baseball would fix itself by saying enough is enough. Here's your salary cap boys. Even. But no, year after year their payroll got bigger and bigger and baseball turned a blind eye to the MFY's. So be it, our owner realized when this team is winning championships revenue, merchandise and tv deals are way up. %^&* the MFY's and what they've forced this team to become. Basically, hired mercanaries. Oh yeah...and I'm going to live in the now and embrace it because it is the way of Capitalistic baseball. I'm just glad I'm not a Tampa fan.

Btw, I want Hanley Ramirez next season for a couple of prospects and 10 million of Henry's money. We're not so spoiled now, are we?

Football is the fairest sport in America. Hockey would be too if they kept it in the cities that actually "get it."

Only 6 more years and $120 million or so dollars to go. :D Seriously, one year in and I was curious what people thought about the Crawford move now. I'm pretty confident he'll get better, but boy oh boy was this a suck year for him. Especially when Ellsbury was MVP'esque. Think the Sox would like a muligan on the CC deal?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back