PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Record at this time for the last 6 seasons..

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were 10-0 before finishing 2-4 due to those injuries then won 1 playoff game and lost to a noodle armed an who couldn’t throw the ball 15 yards. So he didn’t really overcome the injuries he succumbed to them.
BBs WORST coaching job imo by quite a bit.
The loss at home to Philly was one of the worst of his tenure. He chose to kickoff in ot vs the jets with tfb at QB. The Miami gameplan was the worst in memory. Any of those wins would have had the noodle arm qb throwing at Gillette in the afccg.
I can’t even think of a 2 month period of bbs career that was close to as worse a job
Who said he overcame the injuries. My opinion was he did a great job coaching despite the huge amount of key injuries. No coach is perfect, but no coach would’ve gotten that thin injury ravaged roster to the playoffs, let alone 2 points away from tying the AFCCG game. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Who said he overcame the injuries. My opinion was he did a great job coaching despite the huge amount of key injuries. No coach is perfect, but no coach would’ve gotten that thin injury ravaged roster to the playoffs, let alone 2 points away from tying the AFCCG game. We’ll have to agree to disagree.
Any coach would have gotten a 10-0 team into the playoffs. Belichick limped then in at 2-4.
Winning one playoff game against a weak team then losing isn’t a great job by most standards particularly Belichicks.

10-0 healthy and 2-4 with injuries is not “getting an injury ravaged team into the playoffs”. It’s gettung a healthy team to the point they are in no matter what you do after the injuries.

Easy to forget that the 2015 team was historically good until it became just plain average due to injuries.
???
I just can't agree to call a team average when they played in the AFC Championship Game.

Any coach would have gotten a 10-0 team into the playoffs. Belichick limped then in at 2-4.
Winning one playoff game against a weak team then losing isn’t a great job by most standards particularly Belichicks.

10-0 healthy and 2-4 with injuries is not “getting an injury ravaged team into the playoffs”. It’s gettung a healthy team to the point they are in no matter what you do after the injuries.
As stated in my previous post, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

???
I just can't agree to call a team average when they played in the AFC Championship Game.
After a 10-0 start they went 2-4 then won 1 playoff game at home against a very average team.
Average after week 10 is generous.

???

After starting 10-0, they went 3-5. The playoff win was admittedly solid and not something most average teams can do. Then again, a thoroughly average Tennessee team won in KC in the playoffs just last season.

The loss at home to Philly was one of the worst of his tenure. He chose to kickoff in ot vs the jets with tfb at QB. The Miami gameplan was the worst in memory.
That weird decision to have Ebner kick it after going up 14-0 on the Eagles was admittedly weird as heck. But everything after that was just a perfect storm. You had the Eagles blocking a punt to tie up the game right before halftime (and the Pats getting the ball at the start of the 3rd). Then, in the 3rd with the Pats poised to score and take the lead you had Brady throw a horrible 99-yard pick-six. And right after that on the next drive you had Darren Sproles returning a punt 83 yards for another score. Then, McDaniels went deep into the playbook with the Amendola-to-Brady trick play... only for Brady to throw another horrible INT the very next play.

As for the Jets game, let's not forget that at that stage of the season the defense was playing better than the offense. Even with Brady at the helm the Pats struggled mightily moving the ball all game. Even the score to tie up the game late in the 4th necessitated not one but two 4th down conversions to Gronk. Meanwhile the D was suffocating Fitzpatrick and the Jets in the 4th quarter. The bet was to get a quick stop on D and then only needing something like 40-50 yards to win the game instead of 70-80. Too bad the D broke down right at the start of OT with the big catch-and-run by Enunwa.

That weird decision to have Ebner kick it after going up 14-0 on the Eagles was admittedly weird as heck. But everything after that was just a perfect storm. You had the Eagles blocking a punt to tie up the game right before halftime (and the Pats getting the ball at the start of the 3rd). Then, in the 3rd with the Pats poised to score and take the lead you had Brady throw a horrible 99-yard pick-six. And right after that on the next drive you had Darren Sproles returning a punt 83 yards for another score. Then, McDaniels went deep into the playbook with the Amendola-to-Brady trick play... only for Brady to throw another horrible INT the very next play.

As for the Jets game, let's not forget that at that stage of the season the defense was playing better than the offense. Even with Brady at the helm the Pats struggled mightily moving the ball all game. Even the score to tie up the game late in the 4th necessitated not one but two 4th down conversions to Gronk. Meanwhile the D was suffocating Fitzpatrick and the Jets in the 4th quarter. The bet was to get a quick stop on D and then only needing something like 40-50 yards to win the game instead of 70-80. Too bad the D broke down right at the start of OT with the big catch-and-run by Enunwa.
You describe bad coaching on the scale of Belichick.
As I said easily the worst 2 month coaching job he has done since arriving here.
Defending the decision to kick off (not even to take the wind and let them take the ball) is hilarious.

You describe bad coaching on the scale of Belichick.
As I said easily the worst 2 month coaching job he has done since arriving here.
Defending the decision to kick off (not even to take the wind and let them take the ball) is hilarious.

Yeah I tend to agree plus in the AFCCG when he went for it twice in field goal range when our D was all over their horrible O and our O line was struggling to keep Brady up-right.

Also in 2014 and 2015 our red zone efficiency was absolutely amazing (from memory).

If there is one thing which can be improved this year is that.

Easy to forget that the 2015 team was historically good until it became just plain average due to injuries.

???
I think he’s talking about the 10-0 start the year in between winning SBs (historically good), then the injuries which forced them to only win 2 of the next 6 games (plain average).

Yes, they still had to win a game at home coming off the bye in order to play in that AFCCG, and that’s worth noting.

Last edited:
Yeah I tend to agree plus in the AFCCG when he went for it twice in field goal range when our D was all over their horrible O and our O line was struggling to keep Brady up-right.
I don’t blame Bill for going for it during the DEN loss. They were down a lot in the 4th quarter and there was no way to know that they were going to get the ball back that many times.

I still have an issue with the decision not to attempt the FG during the SB loss in 2007, though. I’ll second guess the Butler decision, too.

Interesting how we nitpick certain decisions that may have made things different.. the 4th & 2 in Denver, the FG in the 2007 SB and benching Butler in the SB.. all the while these very gaudy W-L statistics demonstrate how good this team has been, but in any activity there is the human factor that may make us delve into the realm of woulda, shoulda, coulda...

I cannot blame BB for much during this great run and the way he has coached and managed this team... I am a very lucky fan.

They were 10-0 before finishing 2-4 due to those injuries then won 1 playoff game and lost to a noodle armed an who couldn’t throw the ball 15 yards. So he didn’t really overcome the injuries he succumbed to them.
BBs WORST coaching job imo by quite a bit.
The loss at home to Philly was one of the worst of his tenure. He chose to kickoff in ot vs the jets with tfb at QB. The Miami gameplan was the worst in memory. Any of those wins would have had the noodle arm qb throwing at Gillette in the afccg.
I can’t even think of a 2 month period of bbs career that was close to as worse a job

Brady and Manning beat each other at home from 2008-2015 every time they faced off. The homefield between those two was always the difference. This included the epic Colts comeback in 2009 with the 4th and 2 call, and in 2013 the 24-0 halftime comeback from the Patriots. After that laughable Miami game, the Patriots coaches were quoted as saying something along the lines that homefield wasn't that important when in fact it was probably more important in 2015 than any other season. According to mathematicians, swapping the homefield between Denver and New England was worth about EIGHT points (both Gillette and Mile High were worth four points, not three, due to the tremendous home advantage both teams got from it), and that doesn't even get into the massive psychological difference. Of course, the Patriots lost in Denver by virtually the narrowest of margins.

....and in some cases it seems that we're reviewing these decisions based only on results. I guess it's up for debate whether that should be the case.

Let me hit you with a non-football example.......

Let's say I give you two options....

Option #1: You instantly get $1,000 no strings attached.

Option #2: Pass up the $1,000 for a 1 in 2 chance of winning $100,000.

If you pick option 2 but end up NOT winning the $100,000, does that make your decision the wrong one?

I would say no, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people who say 'yes' based strictly on the result.

Now to put it in a football context.............

In 2013 BB elected to kick off in OT against the Broncos taking the wind but clearly giving the Broncos the first crack at victory. The Pats win and BB is lauded as a genius for his unconventional move.

What would the narrative be if they lost though. Do you think it would be "BB makes calculated move that was the good call, it just didn't work out"

Of course not....

It would be "BB gives the ball to Peyton, who makes him pay" and all the talking heads would be yelling "BUT YOU DON'T ELECT TO GIVE THE BALL TO PEYTON MANNING, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?"

If it played out that way that would be another example where the results don't necessarily make the decision good or bad.

Just some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back