PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rebuilding this Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the return of Schuplinski and expected return of Scarnecchia, I would expect selections at both QB and OT during this draft.

The first due to the fact that it takes at least 2 full offseadons to learn this system, and Schuplinski has had a hand in developing both Garoppolo and Brissett. We can hope that Brady will play 2 more seasons, but that’s not written in stone. Any way you look at it, they almost certainly need to draft a cheap option that they can have for the next 4 years in an attempt to groom Brady’s replacement. I just don’t see how they’d wait until next spring.

The latter is due not only to the Solder situation, but also the fact that Scarnecchia is taking things on a year to year basis and seems to have his sights set on retiring soon. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we took at least 2 more OL throughout the 7 rounds of the draft, with guys like Croston and Karras continuing to develop. I think they’re going to try and take advantage of Scar’s time, while he’s still here.

With the return of Schuplinski and expected return of Scarnecchia, I would expect selections at both QB and OT during this draft.

The first due to the fact that it takes at least 2 full offseadons to learn this system, and Schuplinski has had a hand in developing both Garoppolo and Brissett. We can hope that Brady will play 2 more seasons, but that’s not written in stone. Any way you look at it, they almost certainly need to draft a cheap option that they can have for the next 4 years in an attempt to groom Brady’s replacement. I just don’t see how they’d wait until next spring.

The latter is due not only to the Solder situation, but also the fact that Scarnecchia is taking things on a year to year basis and seems to have his sights set on retiring soon. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we took at least 2 more OL throughout the 7 rounds of the draft, with guys like Croston and Karras continuing to develop. I think they’re going to try and take advantage of Scar’s time, while he’s still here.
That depends if the Patriots re-sign one of Cameron Fleming or LaAdrian Waddle and the health of Antonio Garcia at the time of the 2018 NFL Draft.

That depends if the Patriots re-sign one of Cameron Fleming or LaAdrian Waddle and the health of Antonio Garcia at the time of the 2018 NFL Draft.

I think it’s hard to assume 2/3 of Solder, Fleming, and Waddle re-sign here during free agency, and even if they do then it’s still possible that we end up drafting (and/or adding another OL via UDFA) for Scarnecchia to have one last crack at.

His importance and coaching position are huge.

Wh do you have playing LT in 2018?

Solder is at the end of the line. I believe the Patriots need to draft a tackle and let him develop for at least a year. DEs and LB/DEs eat rookies alive in the NFL. No matter how good a rookie left tackle is, he'll need at least a year before he becomes a full-time starter. See: Cannon, Marcus. Cannon looked like a disaster until 2016 when he came into his own physically and had Dante Scarnecchia get the most out of his talents and size.

People are bashing Roberts, but I really like his nose for the ball and his ability to rip through traffic. He's entering his third year in 2018, and paired with guys like Hightower and Van Noy, he brings a big safety skill set to the linebacker position.

On the QB backup role, Bradford is not a full-time starter, but has proven he can step in and deliver quality starts better than Hoyer. Teddy Bridgewater is not going to be in Minnesota this year. That ship sailed with Keenum. Either guy is in a better place behind 41-year-old starter on an elite team that is still the class of the AFC.

Do you think that Garcia is done?

I think it’s hard to assume 2/3 of Solder, Fleming, and Waddle re-sign here during free agency, and even if they do then it’s still possible that we end up drafting (and/or adding another OL via UDFA) for Scarnecchia to have one last crack at.

His importance and coaching position are huge.

Could we see something like Patriots trade in the top 5 for Chubb using the 2 seconds and first and get back a 4th and 5th in return.

lol I dont think you really understand the relative draft spot values..

I have no problem with one OL early and one late. With Belichick, the draft is all about value.

1) At OT, a lot depends on which of the three vets are re-signed before the draft. We could even sign a backup OT in free agency.

2) At OG, I think that the question mark is Croston. Mason and Thuney are young, and are quality players.

3) At OC, there is no need. Andrews and Karras are as good a starter and backup as we are reasonably going to have.

Wh do you have playing LT in 2018?

I have Solder playing this season, probably his last. This situation reminds me of the Matt Light - Sebastian Vollmer transition. Cannon has now come into his own on the right side, and Solder will turn 30 in April. One more season with a solid rookie coming along this year sets up options for 2019 if Solder thinks he can keep going with fewer snaps, or steps aside.

Do you like Waddle to take over for Solder in 2019?

All on the beholder.
Of course any trade I propose will slightly favor the Patriots.

You will barely get into the 12-15 range if you would trade our first three picks. Not even talking about getting anything back.

See the good old draft value chart..

https://theboysareback.files.wordpr...ick-value-chart-printable-print-nfl-draft.jpg

I am not a gigantic fan of it because from my POV you need to normalize those values relative to the depth and positional features of each draft but it is a somewhat fine approximation.

So, you're re-signing Solder. IMHO, he won't take a one-year contract.

In any case, I'm fine with having a LT in waiting on the squad. Belichick thought that Garcia would be that man.

I think that Fleming and Waddle are perennial backups. Given the injury issues of both Solder and Cannon, I would keep both, even if we have to keep 5 OT's (along with our four interior OL's).

Yes, Waddle could continue to develop. Only Scar knows for sure.

I have Solder playing this season, probably his last. This situation reminds me of the Matt Light - Sebastian Vollmer transition. Cannon has now come into his own on the right side, and Solder will turn 30 in April. One more season with a solid rookie coming along this year sets up options for 2019 if Solder thinks he can keep going with fewer snaps, or steps aside.

I can kinda see Solder on a 1 year deal too, for some reasons, including possibly as a favor to BB similar to Bruschi in 2008, transitioning it over to Mayo.

If Garcia is not ready or will never be ready, there is a pretty big unknown there for sure.

I presume that the context is that Solder want to play for one more year.
Under theses circumstances, for cap reasons, there is no reason to sign a 1 year contract, rather than a 2. A one-year deal benefits no one. A 2 year deal spreads the cap hit.

I can kinda see Solder on a 1 year deal too, for some reasons, including possibly as a favor to BB similar to Bruschi in 2008, transitioning it over to Mayo.

If Garcia is not ready or will never be ready, there is a pretty big unknown there for sure.

I presume that the context is that Solder want to play for one more year.
Under theses circumstances, for cap reasons, there is no reason to sign a 1 year contract, rather than a 2. A one-year deal benefits no one. A 2 year deal spreads the cap hit.

Good point. Denver is looking at making a move., possibly.

Do you think that Garcia is done?
I think a six month illness and recent reports that he’s coming in at 260 lbs are certainly concerning enough that I don’t believe we can necessarily count on him.

Hopefully, he can gain the 45-50 lbs of muscle and strength needed between now and this spring/summer, if he’s expecting to compete.

I think that Fleming and Waddle are perennial backups.
Last I had heard Fleming and Waddle were going to be two of the top 5-10 free agent tackles, this year. Of course, that was back in the fall. Is that still the case? If so, there’s a very good chance that we’re only able to sign ONE of Solder/Fleming/Waddle.

Last I had heard Fleming and Waddle were going to be two of the top 5-10 free agent tackles, this year. Of course, that was back in the fall. Is that still the case? If so, there’s a very good chance that we’re only able to sign ONE of Solder/Fleming/Waddle.

I expect us to spend what it takes to sign Solder. Solder is by far our top free agent priority.

With regard to Fleming and Waddle, I expect us to sign one of them. BTW, Miguel chooses Waddle as the most likely. As was the case when we re-signed Cannon, Belichick should be willing to pay Waddle well as our swing OT. As was the case hen with Solder and Vollmer, we have a fine set of OT's, albeit two that are injury prone.

Waddle's injury riddled 2017 season likely makes him easier for the Patriots to keep. Solder's family situation, and the expectation that the Patriots will pay him something approaching market value, probably give the Patriots a very good chance to keep him, as well.

If someone decides to overpay for Fleming, the Patriots will probably wish him well with his new team.

If Solder decides to play at least one more season, then Bill MUST re-sign him.
Neither Waddle nor Fleming is even a backup-caliber LT.
The OT (especially LT) draft class is not impressive, at all.
And Boney Tony Garcia is a Lost Cause, another in a long line of wasted draft picks inside the top 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST