PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Really shocked and confused by some of these roster moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent followed the rule changes, so I dont really know what Reiss was talking about. But he clearly was investigating Demps being IRd and I dont know whether it was about the IR exemption or something else.

But I will take your word for it, and Demps will stay in the IR for the remainder of this season.

Yeah, Reiss was investigating whether or not it was the IR exemption.

Like many other things I could obviously be wrong, but with the common sense factor and multiple sources confirming it, I'm certainly going to assume that it's a done deal. It's pretty clearly stated that the player has to have made the original roster and be on the team as of a certain date (Sept.4), but I think Reiss was questioning whether or not it could have been retroactive to today for some reason. To be honest I am kind of surprised that Reiss would question a petty move such as this so much.

I would have a hard time believing that Belichick would want to waste our one chance at the new IR rule on a guy like that, even as exciting as our KOR could have been there may/probably be a much better player to use it on who is needed.

Demps will be back next year and he will hopefully be in better football shape and have much more knowledge as a potential contributor on offense too.

Cheers, buddy.

Who's Brady gonna throw to? I think we all remember his lovely wife telling us all about her "Tommy Boy" can't -expletive- throw the ball and catch it too...

So Belichick is going to play WR then?

You've got to remember that our top 3 receiving options are all still intact. That includes approx. 280-290 balls (off the top of my head) from Brady last year in Gronk, Welker, and Hernandez.

Add in the Brandon Llyod move along with Edelman's supposedly improved route work/running in camp and practices and you have 5 pretty good targets right there.

There's also the factor that the screen game and RB flat passes will be utilized quite a bit more, as the average for the NEP as a whole was way down last year. That includes Vereen, Woodhead, etc. We're already up to 7 or 8 receiving options right there, and that isn't including guys like Fells/Schiancoe or the potential WR4 slot which will be filled for sure.

PLENTY of options still my friend.

You guys know branch can sign with other teams right? I don't think he ll choose shadow roster over an actual spot.

I kind of think they had an agreement setup to be resigned after week 1 of the season. As I said in the Branch thread he had a high cap hit for what he provides to the team. I'm guessing that they cut him and will resign him to a non-guaranteed contract to after week 1

You guys know branch can sign with other teams right? I don't think he ll choose shadow roster over an actual spot.

That spot will certainly be filled, by Branch or another seasoned vet, sooner rather than later meaning in about a week or so.

I would expect a move after the first game at the very latest. Roster salaries for the year are no longer guaranteed after Sept.9 (for us), so the move to cut Branch could very well have had something to do with that.

I wouldn't expect Branch or Gaffney (who is reportedly injured at the moment anyway, as the MIA Dolphins will find out) to set by idlely by the telephone on the shadow roster, but missing the first game next weekend shouldn't be too big of a deal. I would bet that one of them may be strongly considered for a return.

In the meantime, we may find something better from another teams' cuts too, who knows?

Either way, Belichick won't waste Brady's talents.

I kind of think they had an agreement setup to be resigned after week 1 of the season. As I said in the Branch thread he had a high cap hit for what he provides to the team. I'm guessing that they cut him and will resign him to a non-guaranteed contract to after week 1

Sorry, WhiZa. We must have had the same thought at the same time. I didn't see your post until after I was done with mine.

Right now the depth chart at WR is scary thin. An injury to Lloyd seems like it could really affect our passing game. Hopefully Slater can work the outside a little bit with his speed and stretch the field for the underneath stuff and pull the safety's away from the middle for Gronk and Hernandez to work the seems.

Right now the depth chart at WR is scary thin. An injury to Lloyd seems like it could really affect our passing game. Hopefully Slater can work the outside a little bit with his speed and stretch the field for the underneath stuff and pull the safety's away from the middle for Gronk and Hernandez to work the seems.

I think something to consider is the fact that as long as that doesn't happen in the first game or two, everything will be okay.

Someone else will be signed for depth purposes for sure. We should be able to hold off TEN and ARZ in a worst case scenario until then, and it will very likely happen sooner than that.

They are accustomed to playing through weaknesses anyway, and Belichick will not allow Brady's talents to go to waste. I think it's a lot about much of nothing right now, even though I can understand where the doubters are coming from.

Who's Brady gonna throw to? I think we all remember his lovely wife telling us all about her "Tommy Boy" can't -expletive- throw the ball and catch it too...

Let me see. Perhaps he'll choose one of the *4* elite receiver options. :rolleyes:

Or maybe the Patriots will just have to settle for ground and pound this year. :D

Welker, Lloyd, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Fells, Edelman, Woodhead, Ridley, Bolden, Shiancoe.

BTW, you seem to have missed that the Patriots run a 2TE base set, and not 2WR base set..

Sorry, WhiZa. We must have had the same thought at the same time. I didn't see your post until after I was done with mine.

Must of been a blue moon!

Welker, Lloyd, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Fells, Edelman, Woodhead, Ridley, Bolden, Shiancoe.

BTW, you seem to have missed that the Patriots run a 2TE base set, and not 2WR base set..

No love for Slater?

Welker, Branch, Ochocinco, Gronkowski, Hendandez, Underwood

Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Gronkowksi, Hernandez, Fells

I prefer the 2012 set of receivers. Of course, we also have the running backs. And yes, I do expect us to add another receiver, who will not get reps unless there are injuries.

Slater doen't play WR anymore than he plays safety. He is one of the best special teamers in the nil, but I wouldn't want if on the field as a position player.

No love for Slater?

The WR thing is a little weird....beyond that, I like it

Neither edleman nor slater are worth a damned at WR, so if either welker or lloyd get hurt, the pats are in some trouble. But nobody else that got cut showed much, if anything at WR, so I'm hoping the idea is that they will find someone shortly.

What shocked me was the fact that Sergio Brown was cut. I wonder what he did to change BB's mind.

Maybe it had something to do with being part of one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history.

They aren't close to the cap tho so I don't see why that would matter unless Bob is suddenly nickling and diming. I don't see branch back maybe chiefs?

Well considering they released 22 AND placed Demps to IR, that makes our active roster 52 strong. If the Demps IR move is considered legal, then I suspect that #53 will be a WR. Has to be.

Brian Waters a WR!?! Who knew?

Last edited:
Welker, Branch, Ochocinco, Gronkowski, Hendandez, Underwood

Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Gronkowksi, Hernandez, Fells

I prefer the 2012 set of receivers. Of course, we also have the running backs. And yes, I do expect us to add another receiver, who will not get reps unless there are injuries.

Come to think of it, the Pats have cut Branch and Ochocinco from the 2011 roster and then signed and cut Jabar Gaffney, Donte Stallworth, Anthony Gonzalez and Jesse Holley.

I appreciate all of th responses. Obviously I won't be responding to any negative comments aimed at me personally, that's just a waste of time.

My main concern about the WR position is depth. Lloyd or Welker go down with an injury, and then we'd be truly ****ed. Sure they can pick up some receiver waived by another team, but how long until those receivers learn the playbook ? A possible Hall Of Fame WR couldn't learn it in a year or trying. Yet, we cut 3 WR's that know the playbook really well and all 3 had meshed with Brady in the past. IF other teams sign those guys, they are gone forever. Gaffney JUST had his best season EVER, why not keep him as your #3 WR ? Even if he missed the first 2 or 3 games, you have an excellent #3 WR who can start if Lloyd or Welker go down. Now the best option is Edelman. Hopefully Gaffney comes back after the first game if he doesnt sign with someone else.

Demps, there have been ZERO reports of a MAJOR injury. And as far as spending a FULL season to learn to be a football player, he already is. He already showed what he can do as a RB and Return man in the NFL. He had the longest run for the Pats in the preseason, and he only played 2 games. He showed he'd be a great option out of the backfield on the wheel route, and it's a loss of an explosive weapon that we can't replace with anyone on the roster, especially as a return man, that upsets me the most. Until I read an article that says he blew out his ACL or MCL or both, I'm gonna be pissed about this move. Why sign him if you're not gonna use him. I guarantee he is even more pissed than I am about this move, and is questioning himself why he signed with the Pats. I bet he wishes he signed with a team that wouldn't hide him away for a full year. Weird move, and I'm not surprised there have been no reports of a major injury. I'd love to see an interview with Demps on his thoughts of this move, but like the Soviet Union of old, you will not hear a peep from Demps on this move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back