PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RCB : Eric Rowe or Jason McCourty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipster9

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Which will be the full-time Right CB for Patriots?

IMO - Not seen enough of Jason, but Rowe got exposed in the SB...

I don't think Rowe really got exposed in the Super Bowl.

He was the victim of a few near-perfect throws and catches by Foles and Jeffrey. Tip your cap and move on. Rowe, for the most part, was in decent position and played his technique fairly well (to my layman's eye). Sometimes the other team is just better.

Matchups will dictate matchups.

Last edited:

He was the victim of a few near-perfect throws and catches by Foles and Jeffrey. Tip your cap and move on. Rowe, for the most part, was in decent position and played his technique fairly well (to my layman's eye). Sometimes the other team is just better.

Yeah. Butler almost certainly wouldn't have faired better.

I think people forget some of the awful CB years like 2005 and ****. We would have KILLED for CB play at the caliber of Rowe's prior to Talib.

Now playing Richards over Butler...yeah that was a SB ruining ****up.

I have to disagree with this. Rowe got blown off the line of scrimmage by a WR that isn't known for his speed on that long TD grab. The reason why Rowe made it look like he was in decent position because of Foles's throw and Jefferey running out of real estate in the end zone. The first down that Jeffery caught on the first drive of the game was inexcusable as he broke Rowe's ankles.

So the answer to the question is that McCourty will be on track to be the starting CB opposite of Gilmore.

I think it will vary game to game based on the kind of receiver they will be facing. Shorter quick guy? McCourty. Taller more physical guy? Rowe. Obviously Gilmore stays on the field against either. It also wouldn’t surprise me if in certain sets all 3 are on the field, plus it’s good to have that kind of depth for injury purposes.

Jason McCourty is way better than Rowe. He's been his teams number 1 corner most of his career. He's being asked to be our CB2. He should be way better at it than Rowe. Oh and those twins!

As Icy was saying, it’s going to come down to the matchups. I also wouldn’t be surprised if JJ gave these guys a run for some playing time. If Rowe can stay healthy, he might actually start improving over a full season. This CB battle is going to be fierce!

Jason is a better CB than Rowe for now. He was solid in Cleveland and had some great moments in Tennessee. I think he will play opposite Gilmore in week one. Nevertheless I don't give up on Rowe. Ok,his appearance in SB wasn't good but no one had expected Butler on the bench including Rowe. Our whole defence was in mess. Like you say,rivalry between our CBs is going to be fierce and thrilling.

McCourty should win imho.

Rowe defends the deep ball well but outside of that he is deficient in many areas. Like most large corners, Rowe doesn't have the greatest change of direction and that is a problem when our pass rush doesn't get home especially on broken plays. Also, Rowe isn't as physical as you would expect and he was our worst cb in run support from what I could see. I want him to remain on our team but only for certain matchups and red zone defense.

Gilmore
Dawson
J Jones
One of McCourty/Rowe

As locks

It’s possible that both McCourty/Rowe make it, which would provide depth and versatility at both the outside and slot coverage positions.

Gilmore
Dawson
J Jones
One of McCourty/Rowe

As locks

It’s possible that both McCourty/Rowe make it, which would provide depth and versatility at both the outside and slot coverage positions.
That's your 5. They might even carry 6 CBs with one being that CB/FS hybrid type and send Richards packing

Jason Mc is ok not great I hope people aren't expecting too much. I think one or both Rookies could beat them both out.

The Pats coverage schemes involve so much man-matchup and "pseudo-zone" pattern-matching (that also involves the safeties), that I'm not certain how relevant the traditional LCB v. RCB distinction is anymore. I'm not saying that it's totally irrelevant, just that there's been a lot of game-to-game variability, and that player versatility is key to providing those coverage-disguise opportunities.

In Buffalo, Gilmore started some at LCB and RCB, and even played some slot. AFAIK, J-Mac has made significant numbers of his starts at both LCB and RCB. There could be a lot of matchup flexibility there.

In his time with the Pats, Rowe has been exclusively at RCB, but was tried out in the slot with the Pats in 2016 (mixed results - but Ryan ended up playing mostly slot during the second half of the season with Rowe at RCB).

JJ played most of his 439 D-snaps in 2017 in the slot, but was sometimes matched-up such that he lined up as a perimeter corner (and did well).

Dawson, IDK what roles he may be capable of handling, but I would be very hesitant to pigeonhole him as exclusively a "slot guy".

It's perhaps worth noting that Butler played almost exclusively at LCB. That may have been a drawback.

I would like to see Cyrus the virus Jones concentrate exclusively on defense. He hasn't shown much as a returner Cyrus has very good size I would like to see if they can get something out of him. Ofcourse a Good pass rush would make all these CB's look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes