PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB/FB/HBs not named Brian Leonard

Status
Not open for further replies.
From an interview:

---

BB would like that answer.

Rutgers TE Clark Harris said something similar:

Harris enjoys blocking so much that he would rather lay out an opposing player than score a touchdown.

“Everybody always asks me about catching my first touchdown pass in college,” he said. “I barely remember that because earlier in that drive Brian Leonard caught a pass in the flat and I cracked back on someone and knocked his helmet off. I got more excited about that than my touchdown catch. If it comes down to it I like blocking better.”

Dante Rosario - Oregon, 6'3" 248, 4.84/40 recruited as a LB, converted to FB, then converted to TE, natural hands, god route runner, showed improved blocking at the point of attack as a TE.

Dante Rosario - Oregon, 6'3" 248, 4.84/40 recruited as a LB, converted to FB, then converted to TE, natural hands, god route runner, showed improved blocking at the point of attack as a TE.

You're always thinking outside the Box.....

What're your views on Baylark? I got to see him in the playoff run they had this year and was impressed but could use some highbrow critiquing.

Of course, with Dillon retiring, I think it opens things up for DeShawn Wynn out of Florida. He's a hammer.

Le'Ron McClain = Lorenzo Neal..lots of power. he was dropping people at the senior bowl

McClain is a terrific old-fashioned lead-blocking FB. Unfortunately, he's coming into the wrong NFL for his skills. The Pats just one among the many teams that have virtually abandoned that position.

McClain started 29 games with just 37 carries...and 3 fumbles. He's not a threat as a receiver, either. Paging Brian Leonard...;)

You're always thinking outside the Box.....

What're your views on Baylark? I got to see him in the playoff run they had this year and was impressed but could use some highbrow critiquing.
I never saw enough of Baylark to even go lowbrow, he's productive and that makes him worth a look.

Dryheat

Wynn could easily be had in the fifth or sixth round. He's not the best at blitz pick up and he's definitely not the fastest, but as you say he could be a hammer.

Leonard was the featured back for 3 of his 5 years at Rutgers. He moved to FB during his 3rd year, but was still the featuer back. The last 2, he was the lead blocker for Ray Rice, but still a damn good runner and an option out of the backfield.

The reason why he wasn't "THE GUY" on Rutgers is because Ray Rice was a higher talent than him. That doesn't mean he was bad. Look at the situation a few years ago in Miami with Gore and McGahee. Or in Auburn with Brown and Williams. Ray Rice is considered a 1st round pick in 2008 (junior declaration) or 2009.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the guy. I just don't think he's a first rounder. If he's there in the 3rd- grab him. I've seen him all over various list from mid second rounnd to fouth or fifth.

But, it is still Feb and there will be a lot of movement before 4/28.

I like Dwayne Wright out of Fresno State. 6'1" 220 lbs. He had a pretty serious injury his 2nd year in school. But looking at the numbers this past year I would say he is back at 100%. He could end up being like Curtis Martin when the Pats drafted him. He may fall a few rounds because of his past injury. I say if he is available when the Pats pcik in the 3rd, grab him. And being from a Pat Hill program can only help.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/dwaynewright.html

Re: Dryheat

Wynn could easily be had in the fifth or sixth round. He's not the best at blitz pick up and he's definitely not the fastest, but as you say he could be a hammer.

There is a HUGE red flag on Wynn right now. That he is not a team-oriented athelete who doesn't like hard coaching or a structured environment. If that is the case, then there is no way the Pats take him.

Re: Dryheat

There is a HUGE red flag on Wynn right now. That he is not a team-oriented athelete who doesn't like hard coaching or a structured environment. If that is the case, then there is no way the Pats take him.

And recall that the coach he's been rebelling against is none other than good buddy Urban Meyer....

Meanwhile, for those who feel that RB isn't worth a high draft pick this year, these words via the scout.com combine blog:

"Romeo Crennel, head coach of the Cleveland Browns, reiterated a comment made by Tom Coughlin earlier today about having two strong running backs. “I think running backs take the NFL take a pounding, and if you can have two guys back there that can share the load, I think it helps them last the whole year.”

I never saw enough of Baylark to even go lowbrow, he's productive and that makes him worth a look.

baylark.jpeg

He was snubbed an invite to the combine. I don't know if he will have an official work out somewhere. I've seen his listed 40 time as 4.70 on GBN. I'm sure that turned off a lot of scouts. I think if he could post a better 40 time he'll definitely get a chance with some team.

I'm a UMass homer and biased, but I think his running style was similar to Dillon, and I think he could be a good complement to Maroney. He's not a burner, but more of a shifty slasher and he has the ability to make something out of nothing.

Last edited:
baylark.jpeg

He was snubbed an invite to the combine. I don't know if he will have an official work out somewhere. I've seen his listed 40 time as 4.70 on GBN. I'm sure that turned off a lot of scouts. I think if he could post a better 40 time he'll definitely get a chance with some team.

I'm a UMass homer and biased, but I think his running style was similar to Dillon, and I think he could be a good complement to Maroney. He's not a burner, but more of a shifty slasher and he has the ability to make something out of nothing.
If nothing else, I'd expect him to participate at the BC Pro-Day, hopefully he'll run well and get a shot at the Pros.

Brandon Jackson Combine Transcript
RB, Nebraska, 5-11, 210

Why come out as junior after only one season as a starter?
"Just the opportunity I had. They're not a lot of backs coming out and I feel like I had a great year.''

Offense help you?
"Yes, I feel like our offense showed I was very versatile.''

But could have used more playing time?
"Yeah, that was tough.''

Feeling unknown because shared so many carries?
"Just coming from a position where we had four running backs, you knew how it was going to be, but I feel like I made my presence known. I started nine out of the 14 games.''

"They're going to get a very versatile back as far as catching the ball and running, a great blocker and a good special teams player.''

Blitz pick-up?
"I started out as the third down back so I've done it.''

Ask the advisory council where you would go before you came out?
"Second round, low second round.''

Position coaches talk to you?
"Bears, Atlanta, Green Bay, Tennessee''

Last edited:
Gary Russell showed up overweight and just put up a poor 4.8/40. Brandon Jackson ran a 4.6/40. Darius Walker just ran 4.67/40, but the experts watching him noted he would probably have a good 10 yd split.

Gary Russell showed up overweight and just put up a poor 4.8/40. Brandon Jackson ran a 4.6/40. Darius Walker just ran 4.67/40, but the experts watching him noted he would probably have a good 10 yd split.

I was watching too. They had good things to say about Dwayne Wright and with the Fresno connection he could be a middle round guy BB would look at. He was built like a tank and could be our power guy.

Gary Russell showed up overweight and just put up a poor 4.8/40.

Ouch. Of all the guys who couldn't afford to look lazy...say goodbye to your signing bonus, Mr. Russell.

OUCH, if Russelll only put up a 4.8, he'd better try out for LB.

OUCH, if Russelll only put up a 4.8, he'd better try out for LB.
With his 9 225 lb reps, he's got the strength of a DB, the speed of a TE, the gut of an OL, and the work ethic of a Clarett. At least there's a niche for him in the prison system when he's ready.

Darius Walker didnt run a 4.67, he ran a 4.56

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference