PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rb 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting evaluation. We'll see who declares. If Ryan Williams or Dion Lewis is in the draft, they're pretty damn good at what they do.

Lewis is a little guy running thru Big East defenses. Ryan Williams has 52 carries for 149 yards. A scintillating 2.9avg. God no. Lewis is 5'8" 195lb. Tearing it up at 4.5avg with a ridiculously weak schedule. No.

Lewis is 5'8" 195lb. Tearing it up at 4.5avg with a ridiculously weak schedule. No.

Yeah....we should get rid of that Woodhead guy too...5'7" and didn't even face a D1 schedule. He'll never pan out.

Yeah....we should get rid of that Woodhead guy too...5'7" and didn't even face a D1 schedule. He'll never pan out.

Woodhead was a street free-agent. You don't spend high draft picks on guys like that. He was also 2x player of the year and still didn't get drafted. Lewis can be had. Very, very late. 6-7thr round.

IMO, 2011 is the worst RB class I've seen in years. Which sucks. It's a huge need for us. For depth if not any other reason. Even the front-runner, former Heisman Winner Mark Ingram, strikes me as pretty ordinary...and that's at the college level. And if you aren't dominating at the college level it isn't an encouraging sign for the pro level. BJGE looked better in college than most of the upcoming class.

And I can't see taking a bad one just because we have a need. We'd still have a need, but with one less draft pick. I'd rather trade a pick for a decent vet. I hope we can find a trading partner.

The only guy I've seen so far that even slightly grabs my interest is Bilal Powell from Louisville. And I'd have a hard time justifying his selection before 2b and I'd even be uncomfortable taking him that early.

Agree completely. This RB class looks to be the weakest I've seen in a long, long time. I haven't seen Pead yet and I'm interested in seeing a little more from Berry and Devine before writing them off. Still, there is an awful lot of ugly carrying the rock this NCAA season.

I also agree with you regarding Powell. The positives are drool inducing - big, strong, low miles, nice vision, receiving ability - to the point where you'd definitely consider him in the second or third round. That upright running style though - you just can't be sure that is going to translate to a league where arm tackles can take you down. I love watching the kid and hope the Pats get a shot at him but he is far from a safe pick.

Agree completely. This RB class looks to be the weakest I've seen in a long, long time. I haven't seen Pead yet and I'm interested in seeing a little more from Berry and Devine before writing them off. Still, there is an awful lot of ugly carrying the rock this NCAA season.

I also agree with you regarding Powell. The positives are drool inducing - big, strong, low miles, nice vision, receiving ability - to the point where you'd definitely consider him in the second or third round. That upright running style though - you just can't be sure that is going to translate to a league where arm tackles can take you down. I love watching the kid and hope the Pats get a shot at him but he is far from a safe pick.
Powell is currently projected in the late rounds, so he's a low risk test drive. Part of what lowers his value is a fumbling history, which goes to your running style comment, but perhaps Ivan can beat it out of him.

Given the weakness of the draft at RB, it is good that we have Woodhead and Green-Ellis coming back. At least we have a start to build upon. It seems likely that we will sign a free agent and draft a running back or two late (after the 3rd).

I don't see more than one of our older vets coming back.

Given the weakness of the draft at RB, it is good that we have Woodhead and Green-Ellis coming back. At least we have a start to build upon. It seems likely that we will sign a free agent and draft a running back or two late (after the 3rd).

I don't see more than one of our older vets coming back.

I pray to sweet JEEBUS that it is so.

Agree with the above how the class is weak. I used to love Ingram but watching many games I don't think he warrants a 1st round pick.

Funny how reading my first post in the thread how time changes. It's BJGE and a guy that was a fringe player on Hardknocks carrying the ball now. Faulk's on IR, Morris has been reduced to a good 2 yard back, Maroney is stinkin it up in Denver, and Fred Taylor's toe has kept him out for almost half the season.

BJGE's performance the rest of the way will determine the need for RB in FA or draft. So far he's been great, but then he is ineffective against Baltimore and SanDiego. He needs a 20 carry game.

Last edited:
Powell is currently projected in the late rounds, so he's a low risk test drive. Part of what lowers his value is a fumbling history, which goes to your running style comment, but perhaps Ivan can beat it out of him.

How many career fumbles does he have in college? According to ESPN, he has none, but they are probably wrong.

Edit: ESPN is definitly wrong. He fumbled for instance against Kentucky in 2008 & 2010.

Last edited:
In what way has Green-Ellis been "great"? Please list the categories where he is close to the top of nfl running backs.

The reality is that Green-Ellis has been adequate, pretty great compared to past years. Green-Ellis seems great because we are so very lucky to have him, given the lack of production from Taylor and Morris.

Agree with the above how the class is weak. I used to love Ingram but watching many games I don't think he warrants a 1st round pick.

Funny how reading my first post in the thread how time changes. It's BJGE and a guy that was a fringe player on Hardknocks carrying the ball now. Faulk's on IR, Morris has been reduced to a good 2 yard back, Maroney is stinkin it up in Denver, and Fred Taylor's toe has kept him out for almost half the season.

BJGE's performance the rest of the way will determine the need for RB in FA or draft. So far he's been great, but then he is ineffective against Baltimore and SanDiego. He needs a 20 carry game.

In what way has Green-Ellis been "great"? Please list the categories where he is close to the top of nfl running backs.

The reality is that Green-Ellis has been adequate, pretty great compared to past years. Green-Ellis seems great because we are so very lucky to have him, given the lack of production from Taylor and Morris.

Concur.

Green is a SLUG.

That's OK, for now. We won two Championships with a Slug.

But an upgrade is undeniably called for.

If Green-Ellis can play like he has against the Dolphins and Bills, that is great and what the team needs.

If Green-Ellis can play like he has against the Dolphins and Bills, that is great and what the team needs.

Fair enough, sir. And I LIKE Hyphen Boy's work ethic.

But I have always maintained that The Running Game is 80% O Line and 20% Running Back.

ANY Sloth can pick up 1200 yards, if the Grizzlies are savage enough.

Another negative would be the fact that he left the game today with a knee injury and never returned.

But I have always maintained that The Running Game is 80% O Line and 20% Running Back.

Da'rel Scott and Allen Bradford are just what the doctor ordered, they should be available relatively late in the draft and along with Woodhead and Law Firm should give us a solid running corp.

I'd kinda like to take a late round flyer on Delone Carter from Syracuse. He's shone flashes for a couple years now, and he's decent sized (5'10"/215#).

He does have one off-field blotch on his record, but until I hear details that indicate it was worse than what I've heard* it strikes me as no big deal.

large_carter.jpg

*from what I read, it was an assault charge. He punched a fellow student after the guy pegged Carter's car with a snowball. Can't say I blame him.

Last edited:
Da'rel Scott and Allen Bradford are just what the doctor ordered, they should be available relatively late in the draft and along with Woodhead and Law Firm should give us a solid running corp.

NICE.

I would LOVE to forge a solid Crew ~ 4 Deep ~ of Mashers and Slashers...preferably with at least ONE Sam Gash.

And, yes, I DO mean Owen Marecic.

I'd kinda like to take a late round flyer on Delone Carter from Syracuse. He's shone flashes for a couple years now, and he's decent sized (5'10"/215#).

He does have one off-field blotch on his record, but until I hear details that indicate it was worse than what I've heard* it strikes me as no big deal.

*from what I read, it was an assault charge. He punched a fellow student after the guy pegged Carter's car with a snowball. Can't say I blame him.

Works for ME.

In fact, I believe that a certain minimum level of Edge...is a Patriot Requirement. :cool:

CLASSIC Late Round Flier. Well chosen, sir.

You should apply for coach of the Cowboys when Bum gets fired. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore