PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens not happy with officiating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that officials should be extra-protective below the knees, but in this case, Suggs didn't even touch Brady, and he is claiming that he was blocked downward and just extended his hands in case Brady hadn't thrown the ball. After all, Suggs couldn't see as he was on the ground.

As far as the blows to the head, I actually think that officials should arbitrarily judge whether the contact is incidental, as was the case in two called personal fouls today, because it's becoming ridiculous how defensive players have to be when approaching quarterbacks, and officials already have to arbitrarily judge most things anyway.

Oh my God... go back and watch that play 10 more times. He DID hit Brady's knee and the ONLY reason he didn't succeed in taking Brady out of the game was that Brady saw it coming at the last minute and got his leg partly out of the way and up in the air so that the hit to his knee glanced off and his knocked his leg back a little. Had that leg been planted like it was a second before the hit, it would have been season over for Brady.

Worse yet, on replaying that, you will notice that Suggs came off his block well away from Brady and actually took a couple of steps before diving at Brady's knees. There is NO question that it was intentional. Maybe he didn't know that Brady already threw it... I think that is debatible. However, you still can't dive at the QB's knees and that is exactly what he did. He was not pushed.

Last edited:
oh yeah...Ray after the tackle on the 4th down play acted like they stopped them....i dont know what he was thinking.....it wasnt even close....that was just strange for a future HOF player

Personally I'm just amazed they actually flagged someone besides the Pats for roughing the passer. At first when Brady went down and the flag came out I figured they were trying to figure out someway to make it against us. ;)

Baltimore's HC acted like a two year old.

I think the Ravens have a great team with a flourishing offensive unit but the coach needed to calm down with the animation.

I never understood why the NFL out of all the leagues traditionally allows coaches to verbally abuse refs like that. But seeing that they do, and I've seen far worse on NFL films, I don't really get why all of a sudden that's a 15 yard penalty.

Well, first off, we only know what the camera's saw/heard... no telling what he may have said to the ref that we didn't hear and how that might compare to what you saw on NFL films.

Also, just from what we did see, I thought he was really overdoing it with the yapping at the ref... I don't recall ever seeing a coach keep going after the ref for that long... even following him down the field when the guy was trying to do his job and ignore him.

I though he deserved the flag. Coaches shouldn't be allowed to act like whiney little punks even if they do fit in with the rest of their team.

Oh my God... go back and watch that play 10 more times. He DID hit Brady's knee and the ONLY reason he didn't succeed in taking Brady out of the game was that Brady saw it coming at the last minute and got his leg partly out of the way and up in the air so that the hit to his knee glanced off and his knocked his leg back a little. Had that leg been planted like it was a second before the hit, it would have been season over for Brady.

Worse yet, on replaying that, you will notice that Suggs came off his block well away from Brady and actually took a couple of steps before diving at Brady's knees. There is NO question that it was intentional. Maybe he didn't know that Brady already threw it... I think that is debatible. However, you still can't dive at the QB's knees and that is exactly what he did. He was not pushed.

I thought it was a cheap shot at the time. It sure looked like Suggs made an intentional dive to take out Brady's knee, not a good hard clean hit, a cheap shot. Lucky thing that Brady saw or sensed it coming and did a sidestep.

Ray Lewis needs to man up and stop whining about the refs.

Well after a 24 hr news cycle one thing is clear, Ravens fans can sleep well tonight knowing that the rest of the world outside of New England sees it our way.

I guess everyone else has it all wrong, and the Pats fans are the only ones who have it right.

Harbaugh said today in the presser that Flacco was hit 5 times with the crown of a defender helmet leading and only on the 6th one was it finally called. Other players said the same thing after watching the tape today. They showed one of the instances on Monday Night Countdown where the defender takes 2 full steps and leveled Flacco with the crown of his helmet, no call.

That is just ONE example, and I am sure Harbaugh had no problem finding about 10 others to send to the league. he said all he wants is the game to be called fair and equitable, and that is all we want as fans to. It clearly was not being that the guy they made all these sissy rules for was behind center for one of the teams. I could go on and on and on with other examples.....

Last edited:
Well after a 24 hr news cycle one thing is clear, Ravens fans can sleep well tonight knowing that the rest of the world outside of New England sees it our way.

I guess everyone else has it all wrong, and the Pats fans are the only ones who have it right.

Harbaugh said today in the presser that Flacco was hit 5 times with the crown of a defender helmet leading and only on the 6th one was it finally called. Other players said the same thing after watching the tape today. They showed one of the instances on Monday Night Countdown where the defender takes 2 full steps and leveled Flacco with the crown of his helmet, no call.

That is just ONE example, and I am sure Harbaugh had no problem finding about 10 others to send to the league. he said all he wants is the game to be called fair and equitable, and that is all we want as fans to. It clearly was not being that the guy they made all these sissy rules for was behind center for one of the teams. I could go on and on and on with other examples.....

Don't concern yourself. We're used to people hating the Patriots and looking for any petty excuse for their losses, and the the football announcers too pile on.

What else is new?

Is that the best you got?

FACT: Terrell Suggs tried to take out Brady's knees. I think he should be suspended.

When have fans outside of New England ever seen anything the Pats way? The Pats are the most hated team in the league, it's nothing new, and it doesn't validate being a sore loser.

Whatever helps you sleep, princess.

Clearly, you haven't been around the Pats long. Since 2007, the national media knows that the easiest way to get pageviews is to dis the Patriots. Not saying they have a anti-Patriots agenda; just saying that they want to make money and the easiest and best way to do that is by feeding the nationwide Patriots-hate. Doesn't make your point any less of what it is: pure butthurt whining.

Last edited:
Penalties:

Q1 13:20, BLT 19: New England: encroachment on Banta-Cain (3rd and 10)
Made it 3rd and 5, Balt converted on the next play. By Ray Lewis' definition, that's 7 points that the Ravens don't deserve since the drive was extended by a third down penalty :rolleyes:

Q1 11:59, NE 44: Baltimore: False start on Gaither (1st and 10)

Q1 10:12. NE 42, New England: Encroachment on Thomas (3rd and 8) (declined)

3 of the first 4 penalties were on the Pats! Conspiracy! Bias! No, wait, we're rational human beings who aren't deluded enough to think like that. Moving on...

Q1 7:28. NE 15, Baltimore: Delay of game on Flacco (3rd and 15)
Baltimore scored a TD on the next play.

Q1 3:35. BLT 37, Baltimore: roughing the passer on Ngata (3rd and 9)
Not a huge fan of the rule, but it was called correctly and the EXACT same penalty got called on Mike Wright later in the game, so it's not like it disproportionately hurt the Ravens.

Q2 15:00. BLT 1, New England: false start on Dan Koppen (1st and goal).
If this had been the Ravens, apparently they would have imploded, failed to score, then spent the next 24 hours talking about how it was the refs' fault. Instead, the Pats, being men, just said **** it and scored two plays later when Brady ran it down Ray Lewis' throat. That three play sequence succintly demonstrates why the Patriots are the Patriots and the Ravens are the Ravens.

Q2, 8:10. BLT 40, New England: Offensive pass interference on Moss. (declined)
See, I don't like offensive pass interference rules as they are currently called. I think that the push-off is called way too frequently against big receivers. If a team wants to trot out midget CBs against tall WRs, then that's what they're setting themselves up for. That said, whether I like the rule or not, it is what it is and it was called correctly. I can separate the fact that the rule exists from the fact that I don't like it, something that most Ravens fans seem completely incapable of.

Q2, 7:11. BLT 25, Baltimore: Intentional grounding on Flacco (3rd and 5)
I saw some Ravens fans bringing this call up as proof of a Patriots bias, which is beyond stupid. Intentional grounding rules have been exactly as they are for ages. If every penalty called against your team is a conspiracy, then no wonder you guys end up seeing things the way you do.

Q2, 5:16. BLT 43, Baltimore: roughing the passer on Terrell Suggs (2nd and 11)
Notice how that penalty was on SECOND and 11? Granted, Ray Lewis is an idiot, so it's pretty much expected when he mangles the facts in his half-******ed attempt at explaining away the loss, but that wasn't on third down, as he said. Two plays before that, Brady hit moss for 16 yards. The very next play, he hit Welker for 15, and the play after that Morris gashed the Ravens on a 12 yard scoring run. The penalty was correctly called, and even if it hadn't been it was far from a sure thing that the Ravens would have gotten the third down stop, given how badly the Patriots were steamrolling them at the time.

Q2, 2:49. BLT 39, New England: unnecessary roughness on Mike Wright (1st and 10)
Remember this one? It was the EXACT same penalty that Ngata committed, so how that translates into a bias... I have no idea.

To this point in the game, where Ravens fans were convinced that the fix was in, both teams had been flagged exactly five times.

Q2, 1:28. NE 44, New England: defensive holding on Thomas (1st and 10) (declined)
The Ravens were driving down the field in the no-huddle before the half, and correctly got the call. Play got reviewed from upstairs, and uphold. If the refs were really looking to fix the game, they weren't doing the Pats any favors here. But it ultimately didn't matter, since (sensing a recurring theme here?) the Pats manned up and just forced an interception 3 plays later, settling the matter. When push came to shove, the Pats made up for their penalties by getting stops. The Ravens, from the coach down to the players, were too busy crying over the perceived injustice of it all to go out and make it a moot point.

I'll keep things a little more brief for the second half, since there weren't so many 'controversial' penalties:
BLT: Illegal contact on Carr
BLT: Unsportsmanlike conduct on Harbaugh
NE: Holding on Light
BLT: Encroachment on Walker
BLT: pass interference on Mason (same call was made against Moss earlier in the game)
NE: Encroachment on Wilfork
NE: Illegal motion on Baker

Two observations
1: You (52 decleetz) claim that: "Harbaugh said today in the presser that Flacco was hit 5 times with the crown of a defender helmet leading and only on the 6th one was it finally called." Bull****. There was no such penalty called on the Patriots. They were called for one personal foul, and that was on Wright for hands to the face. They were never called for any penalty related to leading with the helmet. Generally speaking, when you have to make stuff up to build your case, you don't have one. And between you and Harbaugh, someone's making their 'facts' up.

2: the Patriots and the Ravens were both flagged exactly 9 times. Let me say that again: THE PATS AND THE RAVENS WERE FLAGGED THE SAME NUMBER OF TIMES. I can't emphasize that enough. They had the exact same number of penalties called on them, and had essentially the same mix of penalties called on them (hands to the face personal fouls, encroachment, OPI, false start mostly) but the Pats were able to minimize the damage and the Ravens weren't. Yet, in Ravens universe, apparently that means the fix is in.

Last edited:
He said all he wants is the game to be called fair and equitable, and that is all we want as fans to.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, as in, "Don't call penalties on us."

Do you know how much it would bother me if I was a fan of such a bunch of whining ****ies? I'd still root, of course, but I certainly wouldn't act like you are.

You want to know what getting screwed by the refs really is? It's getting called for infraction that no longer exists at a crucial spot in the AFCG. It's not getting called for rules that actually do exist, whining about spots while in the same breath saying it wasn't a first down, and ignoring the penalties that benefited you in a game where both teams were pennalized equally.

What? Even my cousin, who is about as rabid of a Dolphins fan as there is and also hates Brady (even belongs in a Facebook group called "Let's see how many people I can get to hate Tom Brady"), said that the Suggs hit was filthy. In his exact words: "I'm glad Brady saw that coming or else he would have had both knees taken out from a dirty shot". Face it, dude: Flacco's INT before the half cost you guys the game... not the refs.

The Ravens have always been the anti-Patriots when it comes to "speaking their minds." To coin a phrase, the fish rots from the head... they have a culture of publicly questioning the league and officiating, not surprisingly, when they don't get calls.

As annoying as I find it when we talk about being "2 fluke plays from being 1-3" and that sort of rot, the Pats usually act as if that is something like the case. The only counter-example may be 2007, when the Giants came off the plane in dark suits with dark arm bands "mourning" the Patriots' dynasty, and Plaxico said they'd win something like 21-14... it turned out to be a really close prediction actually. Brady said something like "I guess he hasn't seen our offense play." That's what counts for mouthy in the Pats' organization.

Every now and then a Patriot commits a just plain stupid penalty and draws an unsportsmanlike. The Ravens seem to do it every game.

I have etched in my mind Bart Scott throwing the official's flag into the stands in Baltimore in 07, but it seems like I see this persecution complex "boo hoo we're so frustrated the world is against us" mindset in every game.

Hey, we play the "us against everybody" card too... but the Pats' version is to circle the wagons and don't go looking for the outside world to kiss the boo-boo better... anyway I just think from the coach on down they really need to look into the power of focus. Lose control of yourself, and how effective are you in-game? Evidently not effective enough.

PFnV

YouTube - Ray Lewis calls officiating 'Embarassing'

Those ticky-tacky calls may be "correct," but you literally cannot touch Tom Brady now without expecting a penalty. The guys are just expressing their frustration at Brady basically being untouchable in every single way, and even as New England fans, I don't think you can deny that.

Ngata reached his hands out to try to bat the ball down, which, by the way, is usually next to the quarterback's head right before being thrown. . .

Also, how often do you see a coach being flagged in football? Harbaugh wasn't publicly showing up the referees, but they actually called a personal foul on him anyway.

The spots were pretty bad too.

The bad officiating undoubtedly went both ways, but Baltimore got the shaft more often than New England.

i dunno...i think suggs was trying to hurt him and should get a fine if not a suspension...as for the Ngata hit...closer call and I take your point, but Wilfork got 15 for a lot less a couple of weeks ago...

inconsistent/close/whatever officiating is part of the game...and this is one of the, if not the, toughest crews in the league...Belichick specifically prepped his guys on their propensity to call games tight and his guys responded....maybe Harbaugh should take a lesson from that.

and, nobody plays the "everybody's out to get us, the whole world is against us" card better than the Pats...they've made it an art form...but they do it with a little style, unlike Lewis and Harbaugh this week...and they also didn't start doing it until they had actually won something...

word to the wise...if the biggest takeaway for this team and its fans is that they lost a tough game because of a couple of bad/close calls, then we won't have to worry about seeing you in the AFCG since you won't get there...do what the Pats do after a loss: look in the mirror, point the finger there and then figure out how to get better.

Last edited:
The crew officiating the game was known for calling a lot of penalties and calling things close. This was nothing new. Right or wrong, they were just being consistent with how they have called other games. New England was aware of this going into the game, and Belichick and Brady specifically mentioned it. They were aware that penalties would be called on stuff that other crews might let ride. Apparently the Ravens didn't prepare for this, and then cried foul when the officials called things closely on both sides. That speaks more to poor preparation and mental awareness by the Ravens than to anything else.

It clearly was not being that the guy they made all these sissy rules for was behind center for one of the teams. I could go on and on and on with other examples.....

You mean the QB who KNOCKED YOUR #52 FURTHER INTO THE NEXT DIMENSION on the QB sneak for a touchdown?

Let's face it. Lewis is P.O'd because he was a .25 seconds too late on decapitating Brady on the slide play. Brady got angry and the next play PICKED HIM OUT to LEVEL on the QB sneak TD. Brady only worsened Rayicide's concussion from the week before - - hence his postgame "I don't want to be off the wall and all...." tirade.

Lewis = Clubber Lang after defeat.

"Lemme at him!!!!! Lemme at him!!!!!! Waaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

The video of that pummeling by Brady will be replayed and relished for a long time!

Last edited:

Great...but you have to understand that we are so accustomed to the "rest of the world outside New England" seeing things differently that we're only surprised when it agrees with us...

the ngata call was close enough that i'll grant the point, but suggs should be fined and/or suspended for what he did...

as for the rest, you didn't get a few calls you think you should have had...too bad...clayton was so upset it made him drop that pass at the end of the game and...well, you get the picture...

if this is the approach that harbaugh takes to a tough loss and if that culture permeates the team, you guys aren't going to get to Miami and it's gonna be the "same old same old" of the Pats, Steelers and Colts fighting for the prize...

stop whining...win a big game (i.e., beat the Steelers or Pats in a money game like you couldn't do last year and didn't do on Sunday) and you will have a lot more credibility...

until then, have a nice season...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes