PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

I hope this is the right choice, but I have my doubts based on his experience. If Mayo isn't the right guy, it will take two or three seasons to get rid of him. "Five or Six Years" in the wilderness will become at least "Ten" for a team trying to find its way back to the top.

It also worries me that players are gushing over him...this team needs a "builder," not a "players' coach." The Pats need a modern day Bill Parcells, who knew how to rebuild franchises (he just wasn't so good at staying around and in how he departed from them).
For this current generation you need a Players Coach and not a disciplinarian.

Found it interesting that you can find a number of offensive Patriots players celebrating the Mayo promotion online. Seems like he is well-liked even outside of his half of the team.

Interesting hire, Mayo has been on the coaching staff during the downward spiral. So I am not sure why he will be a better leader now.

As a player, he was a tackling machine but never figured out how to defend a pass.

Interesting hire, Mayo has been on the coaching staff during the downward spiral. So I am not sure why he will be a better leader now.

As a player, he was a tackling machine but never figured out how to defend a pass.
Even in the Glory years that was the mantra of most BB Defenses. :)

I don't think he was going to do that, and Kraft certainly didn't think that was an option based on his press conference yesterday. He emphasized the need to have other people involved for checks and balances and needed some people to say "no" to the coach. Implying he felt that they lacked that will Belichick now and that it was too late to wrestle it from him.
Well I agree it was unlikely and that’s why I said I’d be interested to know if that was the case. It’s the real justification I could see for him being sent packing, I really don’t think his coaching is in doubt.

This... we are great on defensive side and mayo helps build continuity. This is possibly the best option considering we need to strip down the offense thread bare.

Who knows last years issues could have been Bill to a smaller extent. Issues might have festered to a level where Kraft felt uts best to let Bill go.

Klemm issues with offensive line
Bill looking to keep Patricia
Bill not allowing Obrien to add his staff

I feel Kraft realizes this is a multi year rebuild or a quick rebuild on just one side of the ball. They are punting on latter.

Coaches are getting younger. You are able to create some magic with upcoming offensive coordinators - lions and texans come to picture.

So the key hire might be the OC. I feel they might get Scott pioli back to front office and if Josh is available get him back as OC to develop a young QB.

2023 blame recipients would be Bill and Mac with cam achord to a smaller extent.

I don't think they can continue with Bob because that side of ball is putrid.

As far as GM, Pioli or someone from 49ers or eagles front office.
Mayo’s first order of business ….fire Achord, Klemm and Judge

He wasn't the head honcho, BB took everyone down last two years.

Mayo's introductory press conference is not for 5 days - Wednesday January 17th at noon. They may have a GM hired too by then.
I thought the whole Curran take was throwing darts against the wall. He has been right so far because his leak was Mayo.
Without more than 5 days my guess it is Wolfe like Curran says

Mayo’s first order of business ….fire Achord, Klemm and Judge
I have an Accord to drive ALL of them out of town. :mad: :headscratch:
GIF by Central Coast Honda Dealers

Just, file this away - and I'm basing this on Kraft making Belichick keep Jones on the roster for 2023. They're going to spend to the cap floor - roll over the rest, take a WR at 3, Harrison or Odunze, whomever's there, bring in Case Keenum or the equivalent, Laviska Shenault or the equivalent, draft Shadur Sanders in the 3rd or 4th round, declare it an 'Open Competition' in camp, with Mac not-surprisingly winning. If he manages to win 4 games before the bye, they'll pick up his option.
Harrison at 3. Cool as he is the best player in the draft. I still think QB/OT is the play considering how deep the wr class is. If CHI takes MHJ at 1 and we take Rome at 3 we’ve already Fd up. Trade down a few picks as he most likely goes after Nabers and acquire assets if Rome is your target. I like Sanders but I don’t see him leaving his Dad early. Think Mac lost the confidence of the locker room and running it back could be a disaster.

I hope this is the right choice, but I have my doubts based on his experience. If Mayo isn't the right guy, it will take two or three seasons to get rid of him. "Five or Six Years" in the wilderness will become at least "Ten" for a team trying to find its way back to the top.

It also worries me that players are gushing over him...this team needs a "builder," not a "players' coach." The Pats need a modern day Bill Parcells, who knew how to rebuild franchises (he just wasn't so good at staying around and in how he departed from them).
I remember a quote from Ben Coates regarding playing under Pete Carroll, about how it was so much more comfortable and relaxing playing under Carroll, after chafing under Bill Parcells.

So, how did those Carroll coached teams do?

Sorry Ben, but you are being paid very well to put up with a hard ass coach.

We fans don’t care if you are comfortable under the HC, we just care that you win.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already in this thread , Patriots.com has announced there will be a press conference announcing the appointment of Mayo as head coach on Wednesday the 17th January at noon.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already in this thread , Patriots.com has announced there will be a press conference announcing the appointment of Mayo as head coach on Wednesday the 17th January at noon.
Stop the presses.
vintage publishing GIF by US National Archives

I remember a quote from Ben Coates regarding playing under Pete Carroll, about how it was so much more comfortable and relaxing playing under Carroll, after chafing under Bill Parcells.

So, how did those Carroll coached teams do?

Sorry Ben, but you are being paid very well to put up with a hard ass coach.

We fans don’t care if you are comfortable under the HC, we just care that you win.
Tbf since that day only two coaches went to more Super Bowls than Carroll. Bill obviously and Reid. But after that, Tomlin went to two, McVay went to two. Coughlin went to two. Arians went to two.

We kinda just lucked out that we had the golden ticket right after Carroll and then got Brady on top of it all. Anybody else and we very likely looking at Carroll actually winning his second and we might have looked at that as a mistake.

Just, file this away - and I'm basing this on Kraft making Belichick keep Jones on the roster for 2023. They're going to spend to the cap floor - roll over the rest, take a WR at 3, Harrison or Odunze, whomever's there, bring in Case Keenum or the equivalent, Laviska Shenault or the equivalent, draft Shadur Sanders in the 3rd or 4th round, declare it an 'Open Competition' in camp, with Mac not-surprisingly winning. If he manages to win 4 games before the bye, they'll pick up his option.
Sanders has not declared for the draft. If he had, you sure as hell wouldn’t be getting him in rds 3-4. C’mon man!

I think this means that Belichick has no intention of coaching past getting Shula's record. I am guessing that Kraft let Belichick know he was grooming Mayo to be the successor. I don't think the plan was for it to happen this year. The complete collapse of the team exponentially sped up the timeline.
Possible .but if you read reiss's column it seems BB wasnt aware of the promise of mayo to be the future HC until happened.

Regardless. the speed at which it has happened clearly means krafts wanted BB gone, not really a whole sale change in culture and people etc. This will be even more sure when they hire their GM from inside.

My main concern is that I hope Mayo has the humility to allow whoever comes in as OC to have a strong voice in personnel and system.
If he tries to "prove" he can run offense too, that will fail so fast. (Kinda like BB last year)

I’d be fine with Steve staying. He’s probably been the least of our problems when it comes to the positional coaching (aside from Mayo of course). I have a feeling he might follow his father but maybe Bill wants him to try to branch out on his own. Could be one reason that Bill agreed to that little PR thing yesterday.
I have no issue with Steve staying as the DC if Mayo and the new GM are ok with it. It seems as though he has done an excellent job in the role he’s had with the defense. IMHO, it’ll be good for him to get out from under his Dad’s shadow.

Harrison at 3. Cool as he is the best player in the draft. I still think QB/OT is the play considering how deep the wr class is. If CHI takes MHJ at 1 and we take Rome at 3 we’ve already Fd up. Trade down a few picks as he most likely goes after Nabers and acquire assets if Rome is your target. I like Sanders but I don’t see him leaving his Dad early. Think Mac lost the confidence of the locker room and running it back could be a disaster.
Mac could improve if we have the right pieces like a Legit WR 1 also if Tee Higgins is not tagged get him in FA. That said I'm still taking one of the QB's. We could use Mac as back-up this year I want no part of Zappe he's too limited.

Mac could improve if we have the right pieces like a Legit WR 1 also if Tee Higgins is not tagged get him in FA. That said I'm still taking one of the QB's. We could use Mac as back-up this year I want no part of Zappe he's too limited.
I really think we need to cut ties with both QBs, depending on if we can find a better veteran bridge QB for next year. Zappe has to go, for sure simply because his attitude is “me me me” and he will not help any rookie QB trying to come for his job.

I’d respect the attitude more if Zappe was actually good.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back