PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking the top 10 postseason performances of this run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There are so many good postseason wins and I may leave out a few but anywho. Here are my rankings.

10. Pats 45 Broncos 10. 2011 divisional It had been since the 2007 season that we got past the divisional round and the broncos were one game removed from tebow magic. And the Patriots put an end to tebow time.

9. 2001 afc Championship Pats 24 Steelers 17.

8. Super Bowl 36. Brady didn’t put up huge stats but the game was tied and John madden being an idiot said they should take a knee and go to overtime only for Brady to lead a masterful last drive that led to the gw field goal.

7. 2016 afc championship game. Brady torched the Steelers zone defense.

6. Super Bowl 38 Pats 32 Panthers 29

5. 2018 AFC championship game. Pats 37 Chiefs 31. This may be a case of recency bias but no one thought we could win this game. Brady was masterful even at age 41 in a very hostile environment and we beat a very talented football team.

4. 2001 divisional round. Pats 16 Raiders 13. Ah the famous tuck rule game in the snow. This was the last game in foxboro stadium. Vinatieri was clutch when it mattered the most.

3. Super bowl 49. Pats 28 Seahawks 24. One of the best football games I have ever watched. We were down 10 in the 4th and Brady was surgical finding amendola and Edelman to put us up late. I seriously thought we were going to lose when Kearse made that catch but Hightower made a difficult tackle on lynch and butler sealed it.

2. 2017 AFC championship game pats 24 jaguars 20. Many will wonder why I put this game so high but the reason is, Brady had suffered a nasty cut on his hand in practice. They were going up against the number 1 defense that had shut down opposing teams all year. Our defense was pretty weak as well. As always brady was masterful in the 4th quarter finding amendola for the game winning score.

1. Super Bowl LI. Pats 34 Falcons 28 (OT) What other game could be number 1? This super bowl set a ton of records including being the first to go to overtime. We played terrible in this game at first but kicked it completely into high gear. Down 28-3, everything would have to be perfect to come back and win this one and that is exactly what happened. To quote Robert Kraft, “this one was undoubtedly the sweetest.”

I’d personally switch 2 and 3, and if we’re talking overall team performance then 8 should be much higher (people forget how huge underdogs we were then) but other than that good list, no argument from me.

The 2004 playoff wins against the Colts and Steelers come to mind as well.

06 Divisional Round @ SD deserves to be in there, along with the 2014 Ravens game as others have mentioned.

I lost count.
math-calculations-zoom-beautiful-mind.gif

Understanding it's like trying to rank your children but Super Bowl XXXVIII at 6???
I can't see it any lower than 3rd or 4th at worst

Mike Reese did this for Brady today. I know Atlanta was the larger margin overcome but Seattle was against the defending champs and one of the defenses with a name IE Steel Curtain, Doomsday Defense, Purple People Eaters and the Legion of Boom. This is a defense that trounced Peyton Manning allowing only 9 points in the previous SB. This is a defense that in the NFCCG that year allowed Aaron Rodgers 178 yards passing with 1 TD and 2 picks that year. If not for Seattle turning the ball over 5 times they never would have scored 22 vs that defense. Nearly every point came because of a short field provided by TOs.

That for me is the victory. I can't fault people for choosing Atlanta but again for me.

I have to go with the first SB win over the Rams. They were such huge underdogs and it was so unexpected. The Rams were favored by nearly 2 touchdowns.

Any list that doesn't start off with Super Bowl 36 as #1 and the 2001 divisional round as #2 is dead to me.

Understanding it's like trying to rank your children but Super Bowl XXXVIII at 6???
I can't see it any lower than 3rd or 4th at worst
Absolutely right. It should be 1 or 2 at the lowest if you make the ATL SB 1.

2004/05 AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh cannot be rated lower than #5. I still rank it as the best non-Super Bowl win of the era. That Steelers team was 16-1 and had blown out the Patriots earlier that season. They were talking such a big game and their fans so incredibly arrogant. That game was absolutely epic. I have it ranked #3, behind Super Bowls 49 and 51.

Don't mean to flame here, but how can you put some other games, like home vs. Denver in 2011/12 over that one?

needs to be on list:

2014 vs Ravens
2006 vs Chargers

remove #9 and #10 from list......

Hmmm maybe we need to do a bracket style poll...
(yes I understand that means the top performance will be RLKAGp2)

On #2, from The Onion:

https://sports.theonion.com/fired-up-patriots-ready-to-give-full-60-maybe-70-agai-1822266062

Fired-Up Patriots Ready To Give Full 60, Maybe 70% Against Jacksonville

FOXBOROUGH, MA—Assuring that the team knew exactly what it would take to win, fired-up Patriots players told reporters Sunday they were ready to give a full 60, maybe 70 percent against Jacksonville. “We are pumped for this showdown, and the Jags are going to see two-thirds, maybe three-fourths of our best—if the game seems close,” said Rob Gronkowski, who revealed the Patriots have been going pretty decently hard in practice all week while devoting whole minutes to watching game tape on the Jaguars defense. “It’s going to take nothing less than perfectly average execution to prevail today. Coach [Belichick] got us jacked up when he told us that if want to get past Jacksonville, he was going to need our B, or possibly B-minus game.” Gronkowski added that he wouldn’t be happy with his performance today unless he left about half of what he has out on the field.

The 2003 divisional playoff win over the Titans seems to be forgotten. The Pats had to make a stop on Tennessee's last offensive play to preserve a 17-14 win. The game was played in absolutely frigid conditions and Steve McNair came close to matching Brady.

The 2004 playoff wins against the Colts and Steelers come to mind as well.

Agreed, I put the '04 divisional round win in the top three for sure.

That was masterpiece.

The Colts come in with a QB that just set the record for most TDs in a season, and he has THREE! wide receivers who each had 1,000+ yards and 10+ TDs. They JUST torched the Broncos in the first round.

WHo would cover these prolific receivers? 2nd year man Asante Samuel, undrafted rookie Randall Gay and WIDE RECIEVER!?!?! Troy Brown

The pats were underdogs AT HOME!

And what happened, the Pats shut down the high powered offense, 20-3

Sure, Super Bowls get magnified. IF this was a Super Bowl this would by far be the sweetest memory, but it wasn't, so that's the only knock against it, but it doesn't make the accomplishment any less impressive.

and John madden being an idiot said they should take a knee and go to overtime only for Brady to lead a masterful last drive that led to the gw field goal.

This is old. Madden was not an idiot - far from it. Until that drive, TB hadn't done all that much. He wasn't the TFB we've come to know (and wouldn't really make that transition until late in the 2003 season). Madden went with the odds, the conventional wisdom. Hell, who here can honestly say they didn't think the same thing? I am sure a lot will answer "ME!", but I seriously doubt it.

SB49 was the best played game, by both teams, start to finish.

In the 2004 playoffs they held the greatest offense of all time up to that point to 3 in the divisional round, then hung 41 points on the best defense in the league in the AFC championship. That was the best lead-up to a Super Bowl ever.

#1 offense? FATALITY
#1 defense, on their home field? FATALITY
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back