PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank em: Your Offseason needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: offseason moves ?? What this team needs !!!

1) a replacement for Matt Light, whose comments sounded like he thought his run here was pretty much finished

2) resigning Mankins

3) a stud Defensive end

4) a 3-down OLB to improve the pass rush and still be solid with the run

5) a powerful and fast RB to complement Lawfirm and Woody

6) a stretch the field WR, though perhaps Tate and/or Price can take a big step forward and make this less necessary

7) an additional physical interior O-linemen (G-C versatility a plus)

8) return to health of Ty Warren, Ghost, Bodden

Last edited:

Look at the teams left, they are all top defenses and we are not. Saints made it all the way last year with "an opportunistic D" which is what we had all year. They failed to create any TOs against the Jets and on even ground our offense failed to execute(plus a horrid fake punt).

We need OLB/DE (badly)
OL
RB

The only reason BJGE ran for 1000 was this is the first year in quite a few that the position wasnt a 3 or 4 way timeshare not becuase he is a great back. Hes serviceable but cant really kill you the way AP, CJ and Jamal Charles can. I never understood why everyone around here got a huge woody in ther pants over a 1000yd rusher (about 63 yds a game is all it takes). I think if Freddy T was back there and Ellis was hurt the #'s would have been the same.

I liked the 2010 team better than the 2009 team, but it's still a work in progress. They overachieved in 2010, with Brady's MVP performance compensating for a mediocre defense. Looked at objectively, the defense isn't anywhere close to any of the remaining teams in the playoffs.

The Patriots are a hollow team. Other than Mankins and Wilfork, the rest of the linemen are young developmental guys or jags. Their finesse offensive line seems to not be able to hold up against the elite defenses in the playoffs.

I think they need a guard or center good enough to step in and start in year one, not some late-round developmental guy who may or may not make it by year 3. The first-year OL starters are usually are first or early second-round guys. Think Iupati or Pouncey.

They need help everywhere on defense. Take the best defensive player available with the 4-5 of the first six picks.

They should take a flyer on some speed at WR. A Jacoby Ford/Johnny Knox type pick in round 5 or so.

Most of the RBs are jags. Keep one of Taylor/Morris/Faulk, and then draft a couple of running backs. In the playoffs, we need a thumper. Not high picks, but perhaps multiple late-round chances.

Last edited:

Let's hope Belichick doesn't do his usual WTF moves regarding the OLB position. I've never seen someone so resolutely refuse to go after players in the draft for what at this point (based on the way we've seen the guys he passed on play) have to be really strange reasons. For such a smart guy, his stance on OLBs in the draft is quite possibily the dumbest position I've ever seen.

We don't need much in the way of speed players. OL/DL is a mess waiting to happen in the coming years if upgrades/replacements are not found immediately. LBs need work, too.

yes we need someone like terrell owens hes good and backs up his talk and performs

I hate the Jets with a passion, but they did make some solid moves this past few years that really has helped them. I think the Pats need to open the wallet a little more in bring in that player, like a Peppers or this year Asomugha.

They got Holmes for a 5th, and he had some clutch plays all year and was a good receiver.

Cromrartie for a 4th or w/e. He sucks at tackling but he allowed them to man up with him and Revis and do some more complex defenses.

LT and Jason Taylor didn't do much this season, but one or two few plays. Braylon Edwards usually sucks, but again he can stretch the field and beat one on one coverage unless he drops it.

They also lost Kris Jenkins. They signed Pace, but I don't think he is very good.

Point being, most of those moves would never work in NE, Holmes, Edwards, Cromrartie, Pace, LT are not Patriots players, but they added talent.

I love my Pats, but sometimes you just need talent. The progress shown this year was great. McCourty is legit. Chung, in his first big role, played well. Needs to work on his coverage. The linebackers improved. Sure injuries on the line killed, but they really need a pass rush.

Going into the offseason, these are guys I want to see on the Pats next season.

Champ Bailey I'd say Asomugha, but I don't see it happening with $$. Bailey is still in the upper echelon of corners in the league. He'd be a number two behind McCourty. He is a veteran and a leader in the secondary and I feel like they are missing that. McCourty and Bailey could single up on guys, Bodden would be one of the better 3rd corners in the league. It allows the defense to send more guys and really expands on what you can do.

Ronnie Brown Probably has 2-3 years left in him, although injury prone. He split time with Ricky Williams so his wear and tear isn't too high. He is a fast powerful runner, loaded with talent. Averaged about 4.4 YAC before this season on a run first Miami offense. Would be a good complementary runner to BJGE, Woodhead and Faulk if he returns. I know there is some Mark Ingram talk out of Bama but RB is not a true need for this team.

Randy Moss/Larry Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson/Chad Ochocinco. Some sort of vertical threat. Whether they bring back Moss, go outside the box and acquire Fitzgerald, maybe try and finagle that Oakland pick into some for Megatron, with rumors of him leaving when his contract is up, or trading a later pick for Ochocinco who Belichick loves. I like Branch and Welker, but they need a guy who can stretch the defense, beat one on one coverage and open up the middle. The Jets clogged up the middle because no one was going deep and bringing a safety with him.

Pass rusher Nothing really in the free agent market other than Mathias Kiwanuka. Draft a stud OLB or DE who can beat one on one coverage. Double teaming that guy and Vince would really help add pressure.

They also need to re-sign Mankins.

I think the future looks bright with all the picks.

Let's hope Belichick doesn't do his usual WTF moves regarding the OLB position. I've never seen someone so resolutely refuse to go after players in the draft for what at this point (based on the way we've seen the guys he passed on play) have to be really strange reasons. For such a smart guy, his stance on OLBs in the draft is quite possibily the dumbest position I've ever seen.

To be fair, that's the thing I really don't get. Cunningham was definitely a step in the right direction, although I can't help but wish BB had taken Connor Barwin instead of either Brace or Butler.

What we need is a wide out who can go up and get it like Moss could, I want us to get Larry Fitzgerald but he is asking 18 mill a year and thats what Brady makes, also we need pass rushers our D-Line is crap except for Wilfork, we can accomplish that through the draft, we could make a trade and get a high pick in hopes for De'Quan Bowers the beast out of Clemson or keep our picks and get Allen Bailey out of Miami. I feel we need a shutdown corner and we can attempt for Nnamdi Asoumah his contract was voided from the Raiders making him and unrestriced free agent, but Fitz wants to much if he lowered the asking price then I say offer him a contract and he would accept knowing NE knows how to win and our coach is the best ever, Fitz wants best WR in league type money and frankly I dont feel like he is the best WR in the league second behind Andre.

Two of the last three playoff games have been lost because of the offensive line's weakness up the middle, and even in last year's loss there was considerable pressure on brady in the middle of the line. Defensively, the Pats have been unable to apply any serious pressure on the opposing quaterback.

To be fair, this year's team was fantastic. The exceeded my expectations by at least 4 games, but there are issues that have to be addressed if we want to win a playoff game next year.

1) Pass Rushing OLB - Sanchez was not pressured at all last night. The few times that the Pats got close Sanchez missed. As far as I am concerned this is priority number ONE this off season. Just think about what a difference Julius Peppers would have made to this defense.

2) Stud DE - The Pats really missed Seymore this year. They could not hold the edge early and that forced Wilfork to move outside and put somebody else there. The run defense played better than I expected it to, but as could be seen last night, late in games the depth didn't allow for critical stops during crunch time.

3) An established wide reciever - The problem with this is that for the most part the good ones are divas, and we don't need a diva wideout. A Larry Fitzgerald type would be perfect, somebody who comes in and just plays.

4) Coaching review - Once is a fluke, twice is a coinsidence, three times is a trend. Three straight playoff games where the offense couldn't make a play. Three straight playoff games where the defense couldn't make a play when they had to make one. Throw in special teams from last night and that equals a failure of all three phases of the game.

Down ten, 12 minutes left in the game and a drive that eats 7 minutes off of the clock ends on an incompletion at the 30 yard line? One and a half minutes left, down by 7 and the defense allowes a TD around the end? This is what happens when you have the smallest coaching staff in the league, something falls through the cracks and all of the good that you accomplished through 16 games gets erased because of an onside kick being returned 30 yards. That is not bad luck, that is bad coaching.

5) Free Agents - Sign Logan Mankins, sign Matt Light unless there is somebody better out on the market. With three picks in the top 33, trade up into the top ten and sign an impact player. Now is the time to strike. The Pats have established a good base to build on, now lets build it up. The Pats haven't had a real pass rusher since Willie McGinnist, and he was just a really good all around player, a step below Peppers.

The Patriots need just a few more players to be dominent for the next 4 years. But, think about this, Brady just had one of the greatest years a QB has ever had, can he do it again next year? Suppose there is a work stoppage next season and there is no training camp, can Bill
"coach'em up" and win on the fly again? Then there is this little item from today's PFT “I appreciate everybody’s cooperation and patience at times and I’m sure we’ll see you at some time here down the road,” Belichick said. “Thank you.” What the hell does that mean? Sounds kind of final doesn't it?

Spend the $ on some FA's. I know BB likes building through the draft, but they have the money to spend if they wanted to.

I'd like Bailey on the Pats, another great player that DMC can learn from.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll chime in here.

I think they have two key needs:

1) A playmaker receiver: I'll start by saying Moss needed to go because of his attitude and the fact he's not as effective as he used to be (he didn't catch a ball after week 13 I believe again until the final game of the season). Other than run down the field as fast as he can (and he's lost some speed, which is expected at his age), he's also not as quick as he needed to be in order to get separation with intermediate routes. So let's not go there.

They need a receiver almost like Branch was in '03. Someone who some speed to stretch the field, but also runs great routes and can get open on the perimeter and take some of the pressure off of Welker, the tight ends, etc. They're missing that at this point.

2) A defensive pass rusher: Vince Wilfork has become a force bringing pressure up the middle, and this was probably the best season from him in that role. It would be great to see them grab a defensive end that can beat the tackle one-on-one and be disruptive. Quite honestly that wasn't main the issue yesterday because watching the game right now we saw Sanchez have quite a few of his throws get disrupted due to pressure. Having looked at the numbers, teams with the most sacks doesn't necessarily mean much. However, they could use someone who can be even more disruptive - which obviously leads to turnovers. Obviously we didn't see any yesterday, and they could have used one.

But as much as many here want to put this on the defense, I hate to say it, but the Patriots didn't score their first touchdown until :15 left in the third quarter. That's kind of late to get in the endzone, especially when the defense had held New York to just 14 at that point. So I think if you add the first one, it will make the two rookie tight ends (along with what Woodhead brings) even more effective. I don't think they need much else defensively - this group developed pretty well this season. My only concern is the severity of Ninkovich's injury, because he turned into a pretty good player.

Id add C/G and possibly another RB or DE to this and we are set.

Right tackle, right guard, developmental center, stud split end, right end with plus pass rush, weakside olb, veteran free safety. There's lots of holes.

Last edited:

Ninkovich should not be a starter on this defense, he was there out of necessity. Time to get a play maker at that position, finally. Tully should also be a back up.

They need the same things they needed before the game:

DE
OLB
OG
RB
WR

The one thing I'm finally conceding above and beyond that is that they need a sports shrink to fix Brady's head. He's afraid to run, and he's lost his fearlessness regarding pass rush. Unless that gets fixed, we'll see more days like yesterday.

I'll chime in here.

I think they have two key needs:

1) A playmaker receiver: I'll start by saying Moss needed to go because of his attitude and the fact he's not as effective as he used to be (he didn't catch a ball after week 13 I believe again until the final game of the season). Other than run down the field as fast as he can (and he's lost some speed, which is expected at his age), he's also not as quick as he needed to be in order to get separation with intermediate routes. So let's not go there.

They need a receiver almost like Branch was in '03. Someone who some speed to stretch the field, but also runs great routes and can get open on the perimeter and take some of the pressure off of Welker, the tight ends, etc. They're missing that at this point.

2) A defensive pass rusher: Vince Wilfork has become a force bringing pressure up the middle, and this was probably the best season from him in that role. It would be great to see them grab a defensive end that can beat the tackle one-on-one and be disruptive. Quite honestly that wasn't main the issue yesterday because watching the game right now we saw Sanchez have quite a few of his throws get disrupted due to pressure. Having looked at the numbers, teams with the most sacks doesn't necessarily mean much. However, they could use someone who can be even more disruptive - which obviously leads to turnovers. Obviously we didn't see any yesterday, and they could have used one.

But as much as many here want to put this on the defense, I hate to say it, but the Patriots didn't score their first touchdown until :15 left in the third quarter. That's kind of late to get in the endzone, especially when the defense had held New York to just 14 at that point. So I think if you add the first one, it will make the two rookie tight ends (along with what Woodhead brings) even more effective. I don't think they need much else defensively - this group developed pretty well this season. My only concern is the severity of Ninkovich's injury, because he turned into a pretty good player.

You said it boss. I think we need one of those relentless, high-motor type of guys, a James Harrison, Clay Matthews clone.

I really don't know where we will get one, draft or free agency since those guys sometimes come out of nowhere.

As far as receiver, I have no problem with that. I'm hoping Taylor Price can be that guy, but if we can get someone else, for a reasonable price, I'm with it. It'll likely have to be a rookie, because those special type of players don't come cheap in the NFL. Maybe if we can get Roy Williams on the cheap.

I agree with all of this. Howwever, I am not as sure than Light will be gone. I would even not be surprised if we franchised him.

In addition
A) re-sign G. Warren
B) re-sign Page
C) draft a free safety since we are likely to lose either Meriweather or Sanders after 2011
D) health for at least one of Brace, Wright or Pryor

1) a replacement for Matt Light, whose comments sounded like he thought his run here was pretty much finished

2) resigning Mankins

3) a stud Defensive end

4) a 3-down OLB to improve the pass rush and still be solid with the run

5) a powerful and fast RB to complement Lawfirm and Woody

6) a stretch the field WR, though perhaps Tate and/or Price can take a big step forward and make this less necessary

7) an additional physical interior O-linemen (G-C versatility a plus)

8) return to health of Ty Warren, Ghost, Bodden

Randy Moss/Larry Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson/Chad Ochocinco. Some sort of vertical threat. Whether they bring back Moss, go outside the box and acquire Fitzgerald, maybe try and finagle that Oakland pick into some for Megatron, with rumors of him leaving when his contract is up, or trading a later pick for Ochocinco who Belichick loves. I like Branch and Welker, but they need a guy who can stretch the defense, beat one on one coverage and open up the middle. The Jets clogged up the middle because no one was going deep and bringing a safety with him.

Randy Moss is been there and done that in New England. The Patriots have proven that they can do better running their spread it around schemes and randy will demand the ball.

I Love Larry Fitzgerald! Let me drive to Arizona to pick him up!

Calvin is getting franchised, if he doesn't resign before then, he is only availible in fantacy.

Chad doesn't run routs, he runs what he wants to run, that would drive Belichick nuts. Bill likes Chad, but I don't think he likes him enough to put up with him.

Pass rusher Nothing really in the free agent market other than Mathias Kiwanuka. Draft a stud OLB or DE who can beat one on one coverage. Double teaming that guy and Vince would really help add pressure.

They also need to re-sign Mankins.

I think the future looks bright with all the picks.

Isn't Tamba Halli a free agent this off season? I don't know if KC will or can resign him, but he really does rush the passer well. LaMarr Woodly and Manny Lawson are also a free agents this off season. I just hope that Bill doesn't stick to the bargain aisle this off season.

Pass rushing OLB/DE - We really a pass rusher, Sanchez was never hit, there was hardly any pressure.

A Running Back - BJGE had a 1,000 yards but he only had 2 100 yard games, I would like a RB that can get near 100 yard every game, even though Woody came in most downs. Wouldn't say no to Mark Ingram or DeAngelo Williams.

Cornerback - Nnamdi Asomugha wants to play in a Super Bowl, didn't he say he wouldn't watch the SB until he has played in one, well NE is his chance to do so. Can't see it though.

Tall, play making Receiver - Gronk is our tallest receiver and also one of our best blockers. Welker, Branch, Edelman are ALL under 6'0 not tall enough against Revis, Cromartie and Davis all in the same division.

Think they are the main problems, maybe another MLB for 3rd down Nickel packages, not sure if Guyton will resign but I don't think he is good enough for these plays TBH.

Mankins resigned.
Vollmer shoved across to LT and pick up one in the Draft. Not sure if we will resign Light.
Guard for behind Connolly.

Last edited:

From the sound of Matt Light, seems like he is not sure he'll be back next year. So we'll need a new tackle. Unless we're planning a Vollmer/Kaczur combo.

Gerard Warren has said he wants to play for an 11th year and wants it to be in NE, I would like to resign him. Anybody else ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick