PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders at it again, close to trading for Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that comp picks are not based solely on players lost. It's possible to lose great free agents, sign JAGs to replace them, and NOT get comp picks.

I don't see any FA signing they did that can replace Nanmdi.
They lost their TE to Seattle and then they signed TE Kevin Boss. That might cancel each other out or at least give them a 7th.

Someone brought this up.
Raiders
1st-QB
3rd-QB
4th QB

3 high draft picks for QB's in 2 years. Ouch. And that's not counting the 2nd rd (maybe 1st) in 2013.

so disappointed in oakland. They are the whores of the NFL with their draft picks.

That is one of the WORST trades I've ever heard. A WILD overpay by the Raiders. Wow. LOL!

3 minutes ago »
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Conditional pick in 2013 is 1st rounder if Raiders win 1 playoff game or it's a 2nd rounder. Still get the 1st rounder next April.
3 minutes ago

Just like Mike Lombardi stated - and he worked in the black hole when Al was still breathing - just when the cost of #1 picks becomes reasonable the Raiders trade them away...

Can't blame Al for this one,unless it was decided weeks ago

I did read that Al's son was seeking advice from John Madden about certain organization moves.

Why wouldn't they just sign David Garrard? What a terrible, god-awful, vomit inducing move.

Why wouldn't they just sign David Garrard? What a terrible, god-awful, vomit inducing move.

Because he's having back surgery for a herniated disc.

Bunch of idiots.

The Bengals are even bigger idiots if they don't do this in a heartbeat.

How did Cassel only fetch a 2nd again

Someone brought this up.
Raiders
1st-QB
3rd-QB
4th QB

3 high draft picks for QB's in 2 years. Ouch. And that's not counting the 2nd rd (maybe 1st) in 2013.

And the funny thing is they'll only have a barely average QB to show for it...one that's going on 32...LOL.

Like others, I'm shocked the Raider had to give up so much to get a QB who ,per Bruschi, still makes the same mistakes he made when he was a rookie.

Palmer has a relationship with H.Jackson so I'm sure that aided in the Raiders decision.

Now on the other hand, the Bengals are 4-2. Have their new QB and add more picks to their draft for the next two years. Great move by them (even though I think Lewis stinks as a coach).

regarding compensation for nnamdi asomugha. I believe since he's 30, that will play into what compensation the Raiders will get.

If Raiders had waited a year, they could have gotten Andrew Luck in a trade for two ones and a player, say from Indy or St. Louis.
Ofcourse, they would have had to fold this year, which no competitive team is willing to do. It is not as if they didnt try to land a QB, any experienced QB. They combed the whole landscape for one.

This could go down as the worst raiders trade/draft move of all time given who the picks end up turning out to be. That's saying a lot, given we are talking about the raiders.

Bunch of idiots.

The Bengals are even bigger idiots if they don't do this in a heartbeat.

How did Cassel only fetch a 2nd again

He was franchise tagged and traded in the off season before the impending draft. Palmer is on a salary only deal and it's week 6 and Oakland just lost their starter and the draft picks they are trading away don't result in any gain for the Bengals for another 6 months...

Still foolish but perception still permeates this league and because Palmer got the nod as a starter at USC and put up some gaudy stats years ago...when Hue was his coach...

Look men we got literally no 2007 draft now and we look good.

Draft is overrated. This trade is insane, but draft is overrated

Spot on.
It's not like our #2 2007 pick Welker is contributing this season or anything

And the funny thing is they'll only have a barely average QB to show for it...one that's going on 32...LOL.

32 not far from their total IQ. :D

Allow me to interrupt this impromptu pile on session to give the other side a little time.
1. Chad Ochocinco, the once feared WR, writing the a book on every CB, pioneer in the TD celebration is a caricature without Palmer.
2. TJ Houshmandzadeh, the prototypical big strong possession receiver with 92 catches is 15 games, *****ed his way out from Palmer only to fail in Seattle and Baltimore and is currently willing to try out for anyone who will pay airfare (coach) and a couple of days at the Quality Inn. With these weapons, The lowly Bungles won the division from the Steelers
3. The most important combination in football is the QB/coach. Hue Jackson knows Palmer and is willing to put it on the line to be competitive. When was the last Raider competitive coach/QB combo? That’s right Gruden/Gannon, a decade ago.
4. As to cost, look at the Kolb trade for a comparable comp. Kolb was never a starter and really didn’t play well in limited action. This is the price of an experienced, professional QB. It is high because the supply is low. If that price is too high for you, the good news is that Consumer Reports says the Hyundai quality scores are way up! Besides what do the Raiders do with 1st rd picks? Not much.
5.As to age, think Jim Plunkett.
6.Long live Belichick/Brady, so we don't have to deal with this.

Like others, I'm shocked the Raider had to give up so much to get a QB who ,per Bruschi, still makes the same mistakes he made when he was a rookie. Palmer has a relationship with H.Jackson so I'm sure that aided in the Raiders decision. Now on the other hand, the Bengals are 4-2. Have their new QB and add more picks to their draft for the next two years. Great move by them (even though I think Lewis stinks as a coach). regarding compensation fornnamdi asomugha. I believe since he's 30, that will play into what compensation the Raiders will get.

His contract would indicate a 3rd comp pick but there is more to the formula and if he doesn't get a lot of accolades as an Eagle it could knock him down to a 4th. I think the formula deals less with age than years of service and I think ten years is the point at which they discount regardless of deal. Nnamdi only has 8.

They might have been due another comp pick for Gallery but he signed a 3 year deal that isn't thought to be very pricey and he's been out since week 1 after needing groin surgery...and may yet be IR'd. So he won't likely garner much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes