PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

R.I.P. Mini-Mack Herron

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimnance

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Damn...I just did my research on him (cause I'm only 20) last week after reading about him in Patriots Playbook and thought he was a real cool character (plus I'm also really short). RIP.

It was fun watching this midget actually knock 250lb linebackers on their ass. He could run with POWER and the Pats even used him sometimes in short-yardage power runs up the middle. Low center- of- gravity exploding through 290lb dlmen. Very unique. Haven't really seen anyone like him in NFL since. Unfortunately had big time drug problems

He was exciting as a punt returner, kick returner and running back for the PAtirots in the mid 70s. Unfortunately his life took a few bad turns after his pro career with multiple arrests for drug use and possession of heroin. RIP.
Mack Herron NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com
He was an absolutely electrifying player. Great runner, receiver, blocker. If his career would have been longer, I believe he would have been a candidate for the Pats' Hall of Fame. He was that good.

Mack Herron offered hope for the New England Patriots in an era when they averaged 4 wins a season over almost a decade. He was a special teams threat/running back who was one of the few stars in dismal times. He fought demons. Reports are that he was arrested over 20 times for drugs which was the only reason NE had him because everyone else backed off. Last arrest was 2011. Wonder if he used one too many times.

Danny Woodhead was pretty high up there, too.

There was a guy named Randy Moss that played here if I recall. We also had this boring bum named Curtis Martin once upon a time. I just love how short some fans' memories are (not talking to you btw).

Back in the day my wife knew Darryl Stingley and hung with him and his crew, one of her favorite stories had to do with Mack Herron walking around with a garbage bag full of Marijuana.. her comment was he abused himself pretty good, not surprised.

That's sad .... RIP Mack ... was fun watching him play ....
he would have flourished in the today's NFL as he could run - catch and do returns.

Wow, this really hits me hard. Mack Herron is the reason why I became a Patriot's fan. Born and raised in NY, I grew up a Jet's fan because of my Dad, but in 1974, while watching highlights on This Week In The NFL (I think it was called that, it was Tom Brookshire and Pat Summerall weekly highlights show), I saw Mack Herron highlights. From that day on, I was hooked on the Pats. Really started following them in 1975 and became a Pat's fan full time. I was 12 when I first saw Mack Herron highlights. RIP Mack.

Back in the day my wife knew Darryl Stingley and hung with him and his crew, one of her favorite stories had to do with Mack Herron walking around with a garbage bag full of Marijuana.. her comment was he abused himself pretty good, not surprised.
Yeah, his nickname for a while was Mack Heroin. That's a shame that he messed himself up so much.

Yeah, his nickname for a while was Mack Heroin. That's a shame that he messed himself up so much.

The fans in section 22 of the old stadium used to call him Smack Heroin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back