Actual Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Thanks to @QuantumMechanic for this thread on my birthday

Jenkins: It's all in the details

and also to @Joker for this article

NFL's damning silence on a new case of underinflated footballs

It was impossible for me not to cry reading this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...4d6b7840b82_story.html?utm_term=.93fc4a08def7

I can only say that growing up being able to read the work by this guy was an oasis of cheerfulness that brightened up my often troubled and challenging life, and he inspired me and anybody else who read him - and also apparently, knew him - to seek the joy of being alive.

His daughter is all that's necessary to see that he was a tremendous parent as well.

danpressbox

I got to meet Tom Watson in 1982, and he's one of the most humble, friendly athletes/celebrities I've ever come across. It's not surprising he teamed up with Dan Jenkins.

Condolences to his family.

I bought and read his book Semi-Tough on my first visit to America (summer of '74). I didn't understand half of the football references, but thought that the whole thing sounded cool. I hadn't figured that Sally Jenkins would be his daughter. Great lady!

Read about his loss a few days ago. I remember reading a few pieces here and there over the years and took some time to read some of his past articles that SI posted after his passing from their vault:

Dan Jenkins's best stories for Sports Illustrated

There was an interesting feature he did on Namath from back in the day listed there that really painted a terrific picture of that era. I'm not a Namath fan (insert Suzy Kolber joke here) but I appreciate history and thought Jenkins did a great job. Never read any of his books, but I'll definitely have to do that after being reminded of how great he was.

He said a while ago as he got older that he would never stop writing because it's who he was and he felt that stopping would hurt him mentally as he got older. I also didn't realize Sally Jenkins was his daughter, which now makes sense because I've always liked her as a writer. Definitely seemed like a great guy and best wishes to his friends, colleagues and family.

RIP Dan Jenkins and congrats on a life that was truly well lived.

I also didn't realize Sally Jenkins was his daughter, which now makes sense because I've always liked her as a writer.

Anyone that doesn't appreciate Sally Jenkins as a writer should probably just stick to sports radio.

A wonderful tribute to her dad by Sally Jenkins. She doesn't mention Brady except indirectly (the two pet dogs in Dan Jenkins' last novel being named Tom and Gisele), but it's clear where she got her respect for the truth.

Huge loss. Taught his daughter well on how a journalist should tell a story and not be one

Huge loss. Taught his daughter well on how a journalist should tell a story and not be one

What a novel idea to write about what is happening, rather then interjecting themselves and becoming the story.. most forgot about that basic standard.

Attributed to Dan Jenkins, comments on sportswriting..

D1ZxRcWUYAMRQ-L.png

Last edited:
What a novel idea to write about what is happening, rather then interjecting themselves and becoming the story.. most forgot about that basic standard.

Attributed to Dan Jenkins, comments on sportswriting..

D1ZxRcWUYAMRQ-L.png
Yep!

Great read. Her dad shared some characteristics with mine. Integrity, whit and had a knack for solid one liners. " I bogied the bypass " is a classic.

RIP Mr. Jenkins. God bless.

Thanks for sharing APF. It's a great read

I bought and read his book Semi-Tough on my first visit to America (summer of '74). I didn't understand half of the football references, but thought that the whole thing sounded cool.
Welcome to the U.S.A.

...And remember: 'It'...is where it's at;)

Dan Jenkins was more than a sports writer. He was a wordsmith. Like a blacksmith who takes a simple piece of iron and creates something fascinating and useful from it, Dan could forge a great story out of a run-of-the-mill game.

Would that we had more like him. Fortunately we still have his daughter Sally to carry on his memory. He was apparently a darned good father & teacher.

RIP Dan Jenkins. May the Angels of His Mercy bring solace to all his family and friends.

Reactions: Ian
I was wondering why this thread kept on hanging around for so long.

Now I do. Thank you

Welcome to the U.S.A.

...And remember: 'It'...is where it's at;)

Thank you very much, APF! I've been based here for a while now, but the longer I'm here the stranger it seems to get. Don't know if that's me or you ... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft