PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PRESEASON GAME DAY THREAD (8/22): Patriots vs. Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, for all the crap we give Kline/Devey duo, Kline was always the far superior player. I remember the 2013 game against the Dolphins where Solder was out and Mankins played LT, Kline LG, Kline looked like one of the best OL on the roster. I never understood how he fell apart so dramatically after that game.

Kline played very well in the game down at Baltimore that year as well, as they ran the ball very effectively. That's twice now vs. BAL if you include last season's 35-31 postseason victory.

Overall, Kline played in 12 (reg season) games last year, with 4 starts, and another TWO postseason starts with fairly decent performances. Either way you look at it, I'd have a difficult time seeing how Kline wouldn't make the opening 53 man roster, and seeing how we'll have 4-5 interior lineman, that likely puts him in the mix for more playing time than people are imagining.

We've got Wendell (currently hurt), Kline (he is what he is), and 2 rookies making up the guard spots. He's got to see some time there, at least until one/both of the rookies are more ready to go. Musket Fire seems to have him pegged as a RG, so that would likely mean that Wendell would slide over to the left side, meaning that I am wrong considering him for LG. Either way, here's a good write up on him heading into TC:

http://musketfire.com/2015/07/05/ne...ck-off-in-67-days-profiling-no-67-josh-kline/

Last edited:
Jeff Howe has an excellent 27 point tape breakdown of the game. Every point is interesting but in light of the Lewis v White debate, I thought his point about their respective blocking was interesting:

"14. Dion Lewis’ shiftiness almost hides how hard he can run. He broke four tackles on his 10-yard touchdown and didn’t lose a one-on-one blocking assignment in pass protection, including a nice chip to help Garoppolo hit Harper for 21 yards in the second quarter.

15. James White, who shook Pierre Warren out of his shoes on his 3-yard score, also didn’t miss a blocking assignment. Lewis and White both picked up blocks on the edge to help Garoppolo hit Krause for 14 yards in the fourth."

So honours still even it seems. Nice dilemma to have.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...t_we_learned_in_the_patriots_second_preseason

Jeff Howe has an excellent 27 point tape breakdown of the game. Every point is interesting but in light of the Lewis v White debate, I thought his point about their respective blocking was interesting:

"14. Dion Lewis’ shiftiness almost hides how hard he can run. He broke four tackles on his 10-yard touchdown and didn’t lose a one-on-one blocking assignment in pass protection, including a nice chip to help Garoppolo hit Harper for 21 yards in the second quarter.

15. James White, who shook Pierre Warren out of his shoes on his 3-yard score, also didn’t miss a blocking assignment. Lewis and White both picked up blocks on the edge to help Garoppolo hit Krause for 14 yards in the fourth."

So honours still even it seems. Nice dilemma to have.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...t_we_learned_in_the_patriots_second_preseason
Very interesting... I would say many of us thought Lewis and White were good enough athletes but that pass pro would be the true struggle, but surprisingly it seems like both are doing fine with that. Based on what I've seen thus far, I would pick Lewis, but I wouldn't be surprised if they picked White. I think either can honestly be 90% of what Vereen was here; White can't do much between the tackles, but it's not like Vereen was ever having to do it either (besides shotgun draws which don't really count.)

Very interesting... I would say many of us thought Lewis and White were good enough athletes but that pass pro would be the true struggle, but surprisingly it seems like both are doing fine with that. Based on what I've seen thus far, I would pick Lewis, but I wouldn't be surprised if they picked White. I think either can honestly be 90% of what Vereen was here; White can't do much between the tackles, but it's not like Vereen was ever having to do it either (besides shotgun draws which don't really count.)

Agree with everything you've said. I am intrigued by the fact that they were using White and Lewis together on some plays.

I think it's safe to say that regardless of who we view ahead of the other, Lewis and White should both make the roster and should both play. Cadet is (not) playing himself off the roster. Can't play if you don't play. Unless your last name starts with M and ends in OSS.

Agree with everything you've said. I am intrigued by the fact that they were using White and Lewis together on some plays.
Me too. I don't want to read too much into preseason formations, but it seems like something pretty unique to use if you don't intend on using it in real games. Seems like a versatile formation - it could be a run, you could be sending two guys out on routes, or you could even keep them both in for a "max protect" sort of thing.

Imagine running a formation with those two guys flanking Brady, Gronk and Chandler on one side plus Edelman. Could be a power run to one side, could be a max protect pass play, or you could end up sending 5 guys on routes. Hard to defend.

Me too. I don't want to read too much into preseason formations, but it seems like something pretty unique to use if you don't intend on using it in real games. Seems like a versatile formation - it could be a run, you could be sending two guys out on routes, or you could even keep them both in for a "max protect" sort of thing.

Also, in the SEEMINGLY unlikely chance that Brady misses some games, we haven't been shy about some read-option plays with JG. Having those guys on both sides make that a decent wrinkle. Read-option is never something teams expect from our statues behind center.

Imagine running a formation with those two guys flanking Brady, Gronk and Chandler on one side plus Edelman. Could be a power run to one side, could be a max protect pass play, or you could end up sending 5 guys on routes. Hard to defend.

Like minds. This is exactly what I was envisioning. I think Bolden would have to be cut for it to happen though. If I remember, the 4th RB didn't suit up.

Like minds. This is exactly what I was envisioning. I think Bolden would have to be cut for it to happen though. If I remember, the 4th RB didn't suit up.
You could probably run it with Bolden as one back, but I doubt it. Hell, even Gray has shown decent hands in practice... I can't imagine the team would carry Blount, Gray, White, Lewis AND Bolden, though... Much less have the whole group active.

The only way I can see Bolden being cut is if Bill starts worrying about opposing player safety.

Sadly, the numbers game doesn't work. Do we abandon the traditional FB? Develin is too good.

Blount, Gray, White, Lewis, Bolden, Develin.

Sadly, the numbers game doesn't work. Do we abandon the traditional FB? Develin is too good.

Blount, Gray, White, Lewis, Bolden, Develin.

I think the only way it happens is if Bolden gets cut - maybe the addition of Jordan Richards adds another special teamer that makes Bolden expendable? And then on game day you could either suit up Gray or White/Lewis depending on the game plan.

I think the only way it happens is if Bolden gets cut - maybe the addition of Jordan Richards adds another special teamer that makes Bolden expendable? And then on game day you could either suit up Gray or White/Lewis depending on the game plan.

Agree, unless we pull a 2012 and run with only Gronk/Chandler on the 53 man roster. Question is who is more valuable - Hooman or Develin IMO. No way Bolden is cut and Develin is 5x the player Hooman is, Develin also often practices with TE's.

Agree, unless we pull a 2012 and run with only Gronk/Chandler on the 53 man roster. Question is who is more valuable - Hooman or Develin IMO. No way Bolden is cut and Develin is 5x the player Hooman is, Develin also often practices with TE's.

That makes a tonne of sense, especially with Fleming being an extra blocker. Nice.

Man, I'd have a hard time seeing Bolden not make the team. He's got the capacity to be the lead back in an injury scenario, at least in NE's RBBC system where the term is used loosely. He also is a major ST contributor and an experienced vet who's making reasonable money.

@strngplyr's analysis makes a lot of sense in the Devlin vs. Hooman debate. Perhaps Chandler was brought in to help make Hooman more expendable, although I've always thought that he would remain as the TE3. I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could keep them both under the following proposal:

QB-2
RB-6 (including Devlin as a FB)
WR-5
TE-3
OL-9

= 25 on offense

...Of course, if Jackson were to start [at RG] in week #1, that would likely mean that there would be a battle of the following at LG:

1) Wendell at an unnatural position
2) Kline
3) Rookie Shaq Mason

You tend to put your more athletic guys at LG and both Mason and Wendell are more athletic than Jackson...

Exactly; what's unnatural is that we got away with having Wendell at RG last season.
With Jackson, Cannonfodder & Fleming all having the physical make-up of RGs, Wendell should no longer be asked to play a right-of-center position.

We don't have room for all 3 of Hoohah, Bolden & Develin. I still want a TE3 but would rather have a more athletic type like Jimmay Mundine. So to me it should be a Bolden v Develin issue, but I'm fairly sure that Bill doesn't see it the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes