PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict Hightowers Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
With cap going up why didnt extend him last year. And Butler too. Seattle made great deals with their franchise players. Now both Butler and High will want more then one year ago.
Respect. Seattle made great deals with their franchise players at the expense of an offensive line, Russell Wilson was running for his life most plays and I'm surprised he finished the season upright, frankly. And they likely will still lose a few very very good players when it's time for them to get paid, reducing depth. They choose the top loaded method, whereas NE chooses to balance their roster at every position. I'm happy NE does things the way they do things.

Last edited:
Respect. Miller is a hybrid who happens to spend most of his time on the edge because he really isn't that good playing the middle. Hightower is a hybrid who can play the edge and middle equally well. So the comparison isn't as wide as one would think.

Sacks

Miller 12.3 avg
HT 3.4 avg per year

It will be "unbelievable."

Miller pas rushes 30+ times a game.
Hightower pass rushes around 3-5 times a game.
Exactly. But alas, I seldom bother with statistical arguments anymore. There's more to football.

I think VonMiller is more of a DE?

2cents

Hightower is a top 7 LB (definitely not a Luke Kuechly).

My guess from Patriots: 11.5m/yr with 3yrs guaranteed.

If the difference is 1m/yr more from another team, good bye Donta. Thanks for the memories...

I think VonMiller is more of a DE?

2cents

Hightower is a top 7 LB (definitely not a Luke Kuechly).

My guess from Patriots: 11.5m/yr with 3yrs guaranteed.

If the difference is 1m/yr more from another team, good bye Donta. Thanks for the memories...
You have to consider that he only plays 3/4 of a season on average.

You have to consider that he only plays 3/4 of a season on average.

Correct. Hightower is not as durable as many of the "top 7". I would think that is a consideration pertaining to what the Patriots have in mind.

But, I have a feeling that a team will overpay him regardless of his durability issues. It's the nature of the NFL. He is likely gone which means Patriots must address LB in 1st round and in free agency. :oops:

Correct. Hightower is not as durable as many of the "top 7". I would think that is a consideration pertaining to what the Patriots have in mind.

But, I have a feeling that a team will overpay him regardless of his durability issues. It's the nature of the NFL. He is likely gone which means Patriots must address LB in 1st round and in free agency. :oops:
Does he really gave durability issues?
Has he ever missed a big game?
I see it more as he has sustained the typical injuries a LB sustains and gotten back from them pretty quickly and none are chronic.
A number of the games he missed were to give him a chance to mend and he would have played if they wrrr critical.

Does he really gave durability issues?
Has he ever missed a big game?
I see it more as he has sustained the typical injuries a LB sustains and gotten back from them pretty quickly and none are chronic.
A number of the games he missed were to give him a chance to mend and he would have played if they wrrr critical.

Agree again. I glanced over the stats on a lot of top linebackers...getting 13 games a year out of them seems pretty much par for the course.

Brutal position, and also why, when you extend a LB for several year, you had better be ready to take a bath/cut bait in the last year or two.

So prediction: 5 years, 65 million, 37.5 million guaranteed.

Agree again. I glanced over the stats on a lot of top linebackers...getting 13 games a year out of them seems pretty much par for the course.

Brutal position, and also why, when you extend a LB for several year, you had better be ready to take a bath/cut bait in the last year or two.
Do you (or anyone) know the site that breaks down snaps by 'in coverage' 'vs run' 'rushing passer' etc?

Do you (or anyone) know the site that breaks down snaps by 'in coverage' 'vs run' 'rushing passer' etc?

I don't, no. I was just looking at games played per year.

Given how much money is available out there, I have a feeling that someone will offer him something crazy like 5/$70M. with $35M guaranteed. I generally support the Pats' philosophy of letting guys find their market value in FA, but I don't think the results of it are going to favor us this year. Too many desperate, ****ty teams, too much available cap space between them, too few good FAs to spend that money on.

I guess that is why we are not a GM. BillB has the Chutzpah to draw a line on what each person is worth.

Think "Revis" in 2015.

Hightower is the best linebacker to ever wear the patriots jersey (sorry Bru..you're still my fav).

Whatever his contract is...I just hope it's countersigned by one Robert Kraft.

Some things to take into consideration.

He is clearly going to be paid by someone as the no 1 off the line linebacker in the league.

He is going to get more than Jamie Collins 4 year $50m with $28m guaranteed.

The Pats offered him $10m a year before the season and he rejected it. By all accounts the Pats have improved their offer and HT has rejected it (I'm speculating in the 11.5-12 range).

Teams in free agency are awash with cash and there aren't many top players. Therefore players are going to get overpaid.

I think therefore he is going to be offered something like 5 years $72m with $35m guaranteed on the open market, and the Pats will only be willing to push to a $13m average at 5 years $65m with $30m guaranteed (with some injury guarantees).

I personally would like a shorter 3 year deal.

Hightower is the best linebacker to ever wear the patriots jersey (sorry Bru..you're still my fav).

Whatever his contract is...I just hope it's countersigned by one Robert Kraft.
I love High as much as the next, and I'd agree that he's more athletic and has the potential to be better over time, but I just don't know if I can agree here just yet. The body of work, even with two GREAT plays in the two SB's, just isn't there, IMO. Bru did it longer and was more consistent and durable, especially when you consider the league was still a run first league. But maybe this is one argument where there may be no wrong answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes