PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict Hightowers Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will get nothing after this year. He retires citing CTE and other medical stuff.

It's the NFL. He likely won't play the contact through anyway. Any offer he signs would need to have a whopping guaranteed figure and signing bonus.

Miller got 6 114 70
If I was a GM I'd take HT over Miller without a second thought.

Love Hightower, but Miller got overpaid because of that incredible playoff run where he put the Broncos on his back and carried them to a championship.

I don't think Hightower will sniff Miller-like money, but I'd just as soon have Hightower as Miller.

5yr
13.5 AAV
30M
Not from NE

5yr
12.5 AAV
25M
if he takes NE hometown discount

With cap going up why didnt extend him last year. And Butler too. Seattle made great deals with their franchise players. Now both Butler and High will want more then one year ago.

6yrs/$81M/$39.5M Guaranteed

Year
Salary
Proration
Roster bns
Workout bns
Option bns
Cap hit

$1.5M
$6M
$1M
$0
$0
$8.5M

$3M
$6M
$1M
$200K
$0
$10.2M

$5M
$6M
$1M
$200K
$0
$12.2M

$5M
$6M
$1M
$200K
9M
$21.2M

$6.5M
$6M
$1M
$200K
$0
$13.7M

$8M
$0M
$1M
$200K
$6M
$15.2M

EDIT: proration of signing bonus of $30 does not extend beyond 5 years.

Last edited:
With cap going up why didnt extend him last year. And Butler too. Seattle made great deals with their franchise players. Now both Butler and High will want more then one year ago.

I remember reading an article where they did attempt to extend High, but he turned down the deal. IIRC...the deal was for $10M AAV for 5 years.

I remember reading an article where they did attempt to extend High, but he turned down the deal. IIRC...the deal was for $10M AAV for 5 years.
And could be higher. Now they ll have to pay him 13

Cap is only going to go up. It's $163 million this year and only going to go up. I don't think we take This into account. I think it'll be $25mil guaranteed and over 5 years around 60 mil

Love Hightower, but Miller got overpaid because of that incredible playoff run where he put the Broncos on his back and carried them to a championship.

I don't think Hightower will sniff Miller-like money, but I'd just as soon have Hightower as Miller.

Miller is a DE. Apples and Oranges.

Any idea how we lost about 3m since yesterday or the day before? Miguel had it over 61m. Just curious, that's all.

Just a note that Miguel's current cap number already accounts for 3 more ERFA signings that are very likely: King, Coleman, Lengel - so a tot of 53 players.

After probable release/retirement of Vollmer and Amendola restructure (both already reported) Pats cap space can be viewed around 65M.
__

Of course no amount of cap space will change their philosophy (quality depth over overpaid playmakers).

Here is a nice Reiss' article on Pats approach to let their players hit the market:
Why Pats adopt approach to let players like Dont'a Hightower hit the market

He's quoting Lombardi on the subject:

“What they’re going to do with Hightower, and what they do with a lot of these guys, is let the player see his market value. Because if he’s out there on the market, and he does come back at a deal that he feels is worthwhile -- like Devin McCourty came back and other players have come back -- then the player isn’t upset that he feels like he’s gotten ripped off. He’s out there on the market, he knows what his value is, his agent has laid it out: ‘You can get X amount from this team, X amount from the Patriots, you make the call.’”

“I think it a healthy way to negotiate and it’s not fearful of losing the player. And it keeps your locker room a lot cleaner and a lot healthier in terms of ‘You’re paying this guy what?’ Not a lot is paid attention to that.“

Last edited:

I f*cking agree completely. I remember getting into a heated debate over this with like four people and they thought they would win because they outnumbered me. Whatever. The Broncos overpaid. And it's not that Miller isn't a really good player, but he's certainly not worth his deal. But that's usually what happens when you have a great playoff run. Someone will be willing to reach. Most guys never live up to it, and even if Miller plays well, I would argue he'll be no exception.

Miller is a DE. Apples and Oranges.
Respect. Miller is a hybrid who happens to spend most of his time on the edge because he really isn't that good playing the middle. Hightower is a hybrid who can play the edge and middle equally well. So the comparison isn't as wide as one would think.

I f*cking agree completely. I remember getting into a heated debate over this with like four people and they thought they would win because they outnumbered me. Whatever. The Broncos overpaid. And it's not that Miller isn't a really good player, but he's certainly not worth his deal. But that's usually what happens when you have a great playoff run. Someone will be willing to reach. Most guys never live up to it, and even if Miller plays well, I would argue he'll be no exception.
Oh millers contract was a moronic move by elway.
This is why I think even though Hightower is a better football player his contract will end up somewhere near the midpoint between Miller and Collins.

Respect. Miller is a hybrid who happens to spend most of his time on the edge because he really isn't that good playing the middle. Hightower is a hybrid who can play the edge and middle equally well. So the comparison isn't as wide as one would think.
Hightower could do millers job. And likely do it better overall. Miller couldn't do hightowers.

Just a note that Miguel's current cap number already accounts for 3 more ERFA signings that are very likely: King, Coleman, Lengel - so a tot of 53 players.

After probable release/retirement of Vollmer and Amendola restructure (both already reported) Pats cap space can be viewed around 65M.
__

Of course no amount of cap space will change their philosophy (quality depth over overpaid playmakers).

Here is a nice Reiss' article on Pats approach to let their players hit the market:
Why Pats adopt approach to let players like Dont'a Hightower hit the market

He's quoting Lombardi on the subject:

“What they’re going to do with Hightower, and what they do with a lot of these guys, is let the player see his market value. Because if he’s out there on the market, and he does come back at a deal that he feels is worthwhile -- like Devin McCourty came back and other players have come back -- then the player isn’t upset that he feels like he’s gotten ripped off. He’s out there on the market, he knows what his value is, his agent has laid it out: ‘You can get X amount from this team, X amount from the Patriots, you make the call.’”

“I think it a healthy way to negotiate and it’s not fearful of losing the player. And it keeps your locker room a lot cleaner and a lot healthier in terms of ‘You’re paying this guy what?’ Not a lot is paid attention to that.“
Yeah, it's a system that has worked more than not. But that's also went I believe High is gone. He'll get an offer that is way too good to pass up. It'll be out of reach for NE.

Put him in Pitt and he would be the best OLB they have had in many, many years. Put him in GB and he be better than Clay Matthews.
Keep him in NE and he will continue to do everything any LB does.

That would really suck, but the Steelers aren't exactly rolling in cap space thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3