PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread PRE-SEASON: Giants @ Patriots - Game Day Thread.

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew, Glad preseason is over and we get to see some real football for a change :D

I thought I was the only person who loved game 4 of the pre-season, till I listened to Belichick's presser comments after the game.

What's so good? It's pure football. These aren't guys playing with one eye on the regular season. They know they've only the slimmest hopes of an NFL job. How are they going to play? Of course, the skill level won't be up there with what you'd expect from better players. But, with the end of your dream staring at you, will you still play hard? Of course, there are huge mistakes -- all those Giants swallowing the cheese on Etling's run, or Jacoby Brissett's boneheaded pick-six last year -- but there is commitment too.

John Lynch, who knew he wasn't making the team and was going to retire, asked BB if he could play the whole game and he did. I'd have respected Eric Decker if he'd have done the same thing.

Two takeaways.

If your scrubs who are going to be cut play hard for a team they know they won't be part of, it shows you that your team really was a team in camp. No wonder BB was so happy.

And a takeaway about BB.

In another thread, people have wandered off into a discussion of what it's like to fire people. I know a bit about that. The worst thing -- but it's part of human nature -- is when the person doing the firing blames the victim. You have to do something bad to someone and you don't really want to, so you create a story that makes the person you do it to a bad person who's done something to deserve it. I'll bet money that Belichick NEVER does that at cut-down time. I'll bet that he told the locker room -- like he did the press conference -- how proud he was of the team. And, because it's Belichick, they'd know that he wasn't kidding.

John Lynch, who knew he wasn't making the team and was going to retire, asked BB if he could play the whole game and he did. I'd have respected Eric Decker if he'd have done the same thing.
Agreed. Decker simply didn't love the game enough to even care how he performed during his final appearance in pro football.

If your scrubs who are going to be cut play hard for a team they know they won't be part of, it shows you that your team really was a team in camp. No wonder BB was so happy.
Or they are playing hard because they want to make a positive impression for other teams to see.
Bill had less to do with their efforts last night as you might believe he did.

You have to do something bad to someone and you don't really want to, so you create a story that makes the person you do it to a bad person who's done something to deserve it. I'll bet money that Belichick NEVER does that at cut-down time. I'll bet that he told the locker room -- like he did the press conference -- how proud he was of the team. And, because it's Belichick, they'd know that he wasn't kidding.
Bill wouldn't make something like cut-downs so dramatic. He would likely bring each player to his office, and then explain to him those skills upon which he must improve in order to give himself another chance to make the roster. It's like a final teaching moment between Bill and each of the players released.

Last edited:
I’m going to guess one of them + Cyrus Jones.

Gilmore
Rowe
J Jones
C Jones
Jackson/Crossen
Dawson to IR? (Anyone heard anything lately?)
I see
Gilmore cb1
Rowe. Cb2
J Jones. Nickel
Dawson Nickel (he will overtake jones in time)
McCourty will okay both corner and safety
C Jones return and cb depth

None of the others have impressed me. They could make the team in special teams but I think all are longshots and will be on the ps.

I thought I was the only person who loved game 4 of the pre-season, till I listened to Belichick's presser comments after the game.

What's so good? It's pure football. These aren't guys playing with one eye on the regular season. They know they've only the slimmest hopes of an NFL job. How are they going to play? Of course, the skill level won't be up there with what you'd expect from better players. But, with the end of your dream staring at you, will you still play hard? Of course, there are huge mistakes -- all those Giants swallowing the cheese on Etling's run, or Jacoby Brissett's boneheaded pick-six last year -- but there is commitment too.

Two takeaways.

And a takeaway about BB.

In another thread, people have wandered off into a discussion of what it's like to fire people. I know a bit about that. The worst thing -- but it's part of human nature -- is when the person doing the firing blames the victim. You have to do something bad to someone and you don't really want to, so you create a story that makes the person you do it to a bad person who's done something to deserve it. I'll bet money that Belichick NEVER does that at cut-down time. I'll bet that he told the locker room -- like he did the press conference -- how proud he was of the team. And, because it's Belichick, they'd know that he wasn't kidding.
Some people get fired because they do a bad job, have a bad attitude or lack effort.
They aren’t victims.
That doesn’t apply to nfl cuts very often though because it’s not really firing someone it’s over hiring then choosing the best to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back