PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whooo??
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Guessing he misses this game and is back for MNF against the Bears, unless Bailey has a 300-yard, 4 TD game against the Browns. :whistle:
The decision may be difficult for Belichick, as long as we win. If Zappe wins, I suspect that many would like Jones to recuperate until after the bye,

Personally, I would have been very, very tempted to put Jones on IR after the DET game, and even now. Obviously, I don't know the medical risks. But, my WAG is that Jones would be better off resting for 4 weeks.

Guessing he misses this game and is back for MNF against the Bears, unless Bailey has a 300-yard, 4 TD game against the Browns. :whistle:
Fat chance might be a one of those three passes game Rham will go for 260 against Cleveland's run D. :cool:

Imagine still using Captain’s unfunny sloppy seconds more than two years after the 2020 draft. A “like” or “agree” from Stone is a sure sign that your post is biased and/or inaccurate.

Also imagine being so ignorant about the differences in size and athletics abilities of Dugger and Chung. Dugger’s SPARQ score was in the 99th percentile for safeties in the 2020 draft. He is an ELITE athlete.

Dugger
View attachment 46208

Chung
View attachment 46209

Who expected Dugger to consistently cover WRs? Also: If he ultimately is “just” a longer, more athletic Chung? Sign me up for that.
This whole conversation about Duggar is absurd stupidity.

When have we ever expected a SS to man cover WR's? Never is the answer.

The only time Rodney Harrison ever manned up any WR is when they used him to press/tackle Terrell Owens at the line of scrimmage and had McCourty over the top for when he inevitably got away from him.

When did Chung ever cover WR's... he didn't. SS's sit in zone coverage, or cover TE's or RB's out of the flat. The same way I don't use a saw to hammer a nail, is the same way I don't use a strong safety in man coverage against WR's.

Game 1: Mike Geisicki: 1 catch/1 yard

Game 2: Pat Freiermuth: 4 catch/22 yards/1 TD.... guess who was on Pat, it was Phillips because Duggar was out early with injury.

Game 3: Mark Andrews: 8 catch/89 yards/2 TD's... Duggar missed this game also with injury.

Game 4: Robert Tonyan: 2 catch/22 yards... Tonyan's only big catch was against two high zone where Rogers found the soft spot between the LB and safeties

Game 5: TJ Hockenson: 1 catch/6 yard

The only thing dumber than saying Dugger isn't one of our best defenders or not elite, is asking for Captain Stoned's opinion to verify it. The guy says all our best players suck. Good grief.

The only time TE's did anything against us this year was when Duggar was out of the game, or against zone with Aaron Rogers... but he can't cover. Seems the only time we've been able to cover TE's has been with Duggar in man coverage.

Just dumb...

Neutralize Garrett and Chubb and this should be a Pats W.

Defense has been playing well as long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over.

They look ALMOST as good as our 2019 team.... at THIS point of the season. ;)

Don't get me wrong I think the Bill ARE for real and have a great chance at a title this year, but its like 2 months too early to crown these guys in mid October...or anyone else for that matter. If we can't win it this year, then the Bills would be my #2 team to root for
2 words.

Super Bowl Bills

Field Yates is the best. I have been friends with him for many years, since our college days together. He’s genuinely a great guy. And he knows football. It’s a shame we couldn’t steal him away from ESPN

He was once a member of this forum.. posted under 'pats1' if I remember right. Quite knowledgeable.

Not sure how this conversation started, but seeing Mac crying like a baby two years in a row now is not a good look. That's not a franchise QB.
Sign of the times. I do not ever recall seeing a Pro footfall player leaving the field like that.

He looks like he may never walk again.

No Clowney is a big loss for Cleveland. There's only one defensive player to worry about now... Garrett. They've got multiple weapons on offense... Chubb, Hunt, Cooper and Njoku... obviously Brissett is the big weakness. This team will make some noise with Watson at quarterback but probably not until then. Looking at their schedule they may have an 8-game losing streak developing here.

He was once a member of this forum.. posted under 'pats1' if I remember right. Quite knowledgeable.
He was outstanding.

Whatever happened to Peyton Hillis anyway? There are one year wonders but he was more like a 4 game wonder including obviously the game where he ran all over us.

Whatever happened to Peyton Hillis anyway? There are one year wonders but he was more like a 4 game wonder including obviously the game where he ran all over us.

Usually the 'roids' lead to endless injuries.

A few pre game thoughts:

1. The formula remains the same:
a. run for 150+ yds
b. pass for 200+ yds
c. DON'T turn the ball over more than once
d. run play action passes from all formations more than last week, and on early downs
e. Score some TD's

On D

1. Hold the Cleveland run game to under 150yd
2. Hold their passing game to under 250 yds
3. Turn the ball over at least twice
4. Hold them to FG's not TD's

In General: Have 4 or more fewer penalties

This is pretty much the equation for last weeks game. Assuming Zappe starts, 50 more passing yards would be great.

I used to root for the Browns because I thought their loyal fans deserved better, but since they signed watson to that obscene contract, the franchise is just scum and just one step above the Ravens and Colts as teams I hate.

1. It will be interesting to see how the Pats will look to defend the Browns run game and Cooper and Najoku in the passing game.

Just a thought I was mostly a 3-4 (or 5-2 as I knew it) guy as my base defense. But when we faced a team that had a superior run game I would occasionally opt for a 5 man front that covered the interior 3 OL men and dare the team to run off tackle where I would have prepared a number of stunts to make them pay. On simple on is to slant the interior 3 to run or line keys there were determined by the scouts . Also sneaking down a S late based on fromation and motion tendencies

Another great run scheme would be the old wide tackle 6 which would be an 8 man front with 4 DLmen and 4 LB's This is very hard to block with out a lot of xblocking which they don't do in the NFL anymore. Very easy to create lots of 4 on 3 defensive advantages in the middle of the field and lots of protected LB's Penn ST ran a version of this from the 70's and into the 90's They called it the Penn St 4-4

This isn't something you have to run all the time, but good on first downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back