PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread - Pats @ Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely didn't get in.. but last time I remember it being close/coming down to the wire was the Brady injury/Matt Cassel year (2008?). Not sure what circumstances were but pats "did their job" and won last 3-4 games and missed playoffs still.

Not what you were looking for exactly - but thats as far back as I can remember a "win or be eliminated" scenario.
And 2002... they beat the Dolphins in OT even with Ricky Williams running all over them but Favre and the Packers laid an egg in the finale letting the Jets get in over us on the tiebreaker.

They should play bengals/bills this weekend, actually Monday makes sense, then this weeks games next week.
Every team gets a week off. No team is negatively affected. You literally skip 7 days and pick up where you left off. Just eliminate the week off before the SB.
you are back !!

Have they changed the offense now, what would you say after 17 weeks of football?

If this is true, then I agree with the NFL on this. Cancelling the game is the best thing moving forward, even if it screws Buffalo and Cincy.
This has to be driven by Buffalo saying they don't want to resume the game. If I'm being cynical then I'd say it's really because they were about to get their asses-kicked. But I don't want to come across insensitive so obviously it's because of their emotional distress. Anyway, their agreement at least with the cancellation takes away the sting of them losing out on the #1 seed. They know the possible consequences of this decision. So the only team potentially getting screwed now is Baltimore, but that only comes into play if they first beat Cincinnati (which they won't with Tyler Huntley).

Just cancelling the game and changing nothing else definitely seems like the best solution. Anything else is going to create a gigantic mess.

This has to be driven by Buffalo saying they don't want to resume the game. If I'm being cynical then I'd say it's really because they were about to get their asses-kicked. But I don't want to come across insensitive so obviously it's because of their emotional distress. Anyway, their agreement at least with the cancellation takes away the sting of them losing out on the #1 seed. They know the possible consequences of this decision. So the only team potentially getting screwed now is Baltimore, but that only comes into play if they first beat Cincinnati (which they won't with Tyler Huntley).

Just cancelling the game and changing nothing else definitely seems like the best solution. Anything else is going to create a gigantic mess.

Buffalo could still get the 2 seed with a win over NE this weekend, even if Cincy beats the Ravens. So, while the Bills missed out on the 1 seed, they can avoid the 3 seed which they would have gotten had they lost to Cincy. And they knock NE out of the playoffs by beating us and a Miami win. Then they play the Dolphins in the playoffs...in Buffalo. It's not the end of the world for them.

Buffalo could still get the 2 seed with a win over NE this weekend, even if Cincy beats the Ravens. So, while the Bills missed out on the 1 seed, they can avoid the 3 seed which they would have gotten had they lost to Cincy. And they knock NE out of the playoffs by beating us and a Miami win. Then they play the Dolphins in the playoffs...in Buffalo. It's not the end of the world for them.
Like I said, once they agree with cancelling the Bengals game, they know the possible consequences of that. If KAN wins on Saturday then there's a chance Buffalo rest starters on Sunday. Although, ironically, that could force them back to Cincinnati in the divisional round. If I'm Buffalo then I play Sunday to win regardless of the outcome of the KAN game. Obviously if KAN loses then there's considerable motivation for them to beat NWE. Even if KAN wins then Buffalo still potentially has a much easier path with the #2 seed.

Like I said, once they agree with cancelling the Bengals game, they know the possible consequences of that. If KAN wins on Saturday then there's a chance Buffalo rest starters on Sunday. Although, ironically, that could force them back to Cincinnati in the divisional round. If I'm Buffalo then I play Sunday to win regardless of the outcome of the KAN game. Obviously if KAN loses then there's considerable motivation for them to beat NWE. Even if KAN wins then Buffalo still potentially has a much easier path with the #2 seed.

Buffalo ain't resting their starters against their most hated division rival, even if KC wins on Sat. They are going to try to win this game for Damar and try to knock NE out.

Buffalo ain't resting their starters against their most hated division rival, even if KC wins on Sat. They are going to try to win this game for Damar and try to knock NE out.
Yep for sure also because they'll want to lock up the number 2 seed at worst.

Unless I missed it, the AP report only says they’re canceling that game. They have said nothing about other potential changes, which the League may or may not still make, such as an 8th playoff team and no byes.

I'm not so sure. Craw The only benefit of the 2 seed is if the Bengals end up being their opponent in AFCCG. Otherwise it matters little if they are the 2nd or 3rd. If the #1 seed is out of the question then I see them playing the starters the first half and get them to the bench in the 2nd.

IF they just forget about restarting that game, which seems the most likely option (unfair to the Bills and to a lesser degree the Bengals) 2 teams affected vs the logistics necessary to move the entire playoffs back a week and only a month to do it. That's the choice they are facing

As for the Pats they get to play a team who is well rested, and could be highly motivated to "win one for the Hamster", OR they may still not be back to the sharpness necessary to win a game yet. BTW- I take nothing from the Bills doing a "walk thru" on Thursday. Most NFL practices at this time of the year are various degrees of walk throughs anyway

I'm not so sure the Bengals beat Buffalo. That game comes down to last possession IMO.

There is a difference here in that if firefighters don't go back to work, people could die because of it.
That is why I won’t pick a side in what is done. I fully agree that my scenario has no options. Since this scenario does and I have seen the trauma from both sides. I will let the league and players figure it out. Although I enjoy my love for my team and Sunday Football. At the end of the day it is only a game

Probably never.
Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Limited participation following concussion for Marcus Jones and Jonnu Smith is good news, if no setbacks result.

I don't expect either to be active, though, unless they are full participants tomorrow, considering the injury (concussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents