PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread - Lions @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m surprised by this. I don’t see why they would add him if he wasn’t going to be active tomorrow.

With Myers likely to play I wonder if they have 6 receivers active tomorrow (Myers, Thornton, Bounre, Parker, Agholor and Humphrey). Expected them to go run heavy tomorrow with Zappe starting. Having six active receivers for a run heavy game doesn’t really make sense.

I’m surprised by this. I don’t see why they would add him if he wasn’t going to be active tomorrow.

With Myers likely to play I wonder if they have 6 receivers active tomorrow (Myers, Thornton, Bounre, Parker, Agholor and Humphrey). Expected them to go run heavy tomorrow with Zappe starting. Having six active receivers for a run heavy game doesn’t really make sense.
Agree. I expect Bourne or Humphrey to be inactive. Expect BB will twist the knife in the fan base by making Bourne inactive because he can replace Bourne’s receptions easier than Humphrey’s blocking and STs.

THe Pats are NOT going to win this game tomorrow UNLESS they can get over 200 yds passing and over 150 yds rushing, play great defense (under 21 pts) and win the TO battle, or at least tie it.

THis LIONS team is better than recent years. THey play hard, at least that is what I perceive. BUT while their team "likes" their new HC, this IS a game where the game planning should go heavily in the favor of the Pats. The Lions have historically are awful on the road. For those 2 reasons I see the Pats in this game it the end. Wether they win in the end will depend on how mistake free they are. At BEST, the margin of victory in NFL games are thin. Given the Pats situation at QB G
Good check list.

Yes, we need over 350 yards of offense. However, I'd be fine with 150 passing and 200 running.

Agree. I expect Bourne or Humphrey to be inactive. Expect BB will twist the knife in the fan base by making Bourne inactive because he can replace Bourne’s receptions easier than Humphrey’s blocking and STs.
I think you’re right. If they are going to make Bourne inactive they should just trade him (although he’s signed through next season so it might be worth keeping him if they lose Agholor and Meyers in the offseason)

They might get away with it though. If Thornton makes some plays it probably overshadows Bourne being inactive.

ROFL

We need to run the ball, so let's have 6 WR's active!

Four is more likely (no Humphrey, no Bourne)

Last edited:
Nope. I don't see your point at all. I just read you knocking Mac for some kind of behavioral issues, for crying of all things, come 'on! But let's say you're right and I just made everything up. OK--why is that not a surprise coming from me? What else did I make up?
Idk man, but I honestly don't get your hate for Zappe.

I agree and don't agree all in the same sentence...I agree that the likelihood of Bourne inactive is pretty high, my disagreement is in that I don't agree with that approach if the team decides to do it. Wynn was a frickin' TE before he became a T. He can play the extra blocker role outside Cannon at RT. It's not like they've thrown to the TEs much anyway.

Because with Zappe at QB they're releasing the Kraken. Everyone is expecting run-run-run and Zappe is going deep against a poor secondary. Makes perfect sense.

Idk man, but I honestly don't get your hate for Zappe.
I like Zappe.

Venecol on Mac Jones: "Zappe isn't one to show boat, take fake dives, or cry on the side lines. That's why I like him. Zappe has grit"

It shouldn't matter what other teams were doing, the Patriots had historical and thematic cause for going blue from the outset. Besides, I think Buffalo was royal blue; there are different shades.
I agree - there are different shades. But, the blue/white combo may have been common enough to influence the decision. A uniform of Blue/White/Red (home) and White/Blue/Red (away), colors ordered by presence, may have been preferable from an historic perspective.

At least we didn't get the Escaped Convict look.

1665265928254.png

Because with Zappe at QB they're releasing the Kraken. Everyone is expecting run-run-run and Zappe is going deep against a poor secondary. Makes perfect sense.
The Patriots rarely do what I expect them to, but going spread shotgun to tailor the offense to Zappe might make my brain explode.

I like Zappe.

Venecol on Mac Jones: "Zappe isn't one to show boat, take fake dives, or cry on the side lines. That's why I like him. Zappe has grit"
That's correct. I admitted to criticizing his on field dramatics like taking a dive to garner a flag, being emotional on the sideline, dancing in the EZ, etc. That's not Patriot-like behavior. That has absolutely nothing to do with what you said, which is false:

All I read here from you is criticism of weak-armed Mac's play. You have constant arguments that he's not the future of this franchise.

Now the commissioner seems open to a division in Europe

Terrible...

It could mean that the gameplan isn't as run heavy as you think. If the Pats want to stretch the field, adding a guy like Thornton to try to take the top of the defense becomes a logical move.

If you think about the Lions offense, it is very difficult to stop. They have two good runningbacks, a workhorse back in Jamaal Williams and a speedy get to the 2nd level back in De'Andre Swift who averages 8.6 ypc. On top of that they have two good receivers who project to 1,000 yards each in Amon Ra St Brown and Craig Reynolds. As if that's not bad enough their TE Hockensen leads their receiving charts with 261 yards 14.5 ypc and can be a real threat in the seam.

It's quite likely this game turns into a shootout. Therefore you're going to need some big play receivers to keep up. Activating Branch, if he can contribute at all makes a lot of sense in this matchup.

It could mean that the gameplan isn't as run heavy as you think. If the Pats want to stretch the field, adding a guy like Thornton to try to take the top of the defense becomes a logical move.

If you think about the Lions offense, it is very difficult to stop. They have two good runningbacks, a workhorse back in Jamaal Williams and a speedy get to the 2nd level back in De'Andre Swift who averages 8.6 ypc. On top of that they have two good receivers who project to 1,000 yards each in Amon Ra St Brown and Craig Reynolds. As if that's not bad enough their TE Hockensen leads their receiving charts with 261 yards 14.5 ypc and can be a real threat in the seam.

It's quite likely this game turns into a shootout. Therefore you're going to need some big play receivers to keep up. Activating Branch, if he can contribute at all makes a lot of sense in this matchup.
Swift is OUT but you're correct, they're explosive. I'm more concerned with our D being able to stop the run than our O.

With a QB as inexperienced as Zappe, I much prefer possession and YAC oriented type WRs like Meyers, Bourne, and Thornton than guys like Parker and Agholor that need dimes. Slants and screens are a young QBs best friend. Agholor was once quite good at running slant routes, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back