PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Game Thread- Colts @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannon going straight to IR means they probably just saw him as a short term help, and figure Cajuste will be as good or better to compete with Wynn. I doubt Cannon comes back unless we have more long term injuries. But, there's no magic bullet coming to fix OL this year. We better pray Brown doesn't get hurt or we're seriously screwed. What, Bill Murray?!? Is a 4th string DL really their best option as a backup OL this year on the PS? Horrible.

Seems like JJ is a sign one of Harris/Strong will be out.

I don’t want that, but it would be comical / interesting to have JJ blocking some fearsome pass rushers for our entertainment.

I like watching him with the ball. His blocking ability (more precisely, the lack thereof) likely is the reason he doesn't see more action.

How do you know Ehlinger is bad?
We'll have a look see tomorrow. Get back to me on Monday after he stinks up the joint.

They screwed him and themselves, the Colts should have been sued for negligence. He was the premier QB prospect of his generation and they blew it royally. They had a Colt's problem, a Ryan Grigson problem... not an Andrew Luck problem. They destroyed that guy's body. The wasn't his fault.
Indy screwed Andrew Luck?!? LOL! They paid him $110,000,000. Sued for negligence? Indy should have sued Luck for quitting on the franchise and hanging them out to dry with Jacoby Brissett. And this "they didn't protect him" narrative is FALSE.

Luck played 6 seasons in the NFL. 5 of 6 seasons Indy's sack% (percentage of times sacked when attempting to pass) was lower than the league average.... LOWER. 3 of 6 seasons Indy was top 5 in pass protection... TOP 5. Including Luck's last season when Indy had the lowest sack% by far at a measly 2.7%... only 4 other teams in the league were even lower than 5.0%.

Luck was sacked 174 times in 6 seasons. Brady was sacked 182 times in his first 6 seasons yet somehow he has managed to play 16 more seasons (that alone is 167% more than Luck's entire career).

Luck's career sack% is lower than Aikman's, Fouts', Rivers', Montana's, Warner's, Roethlisberger's, Moon's, Kelly's, Rodgers', Elway's, Stabler's, Bradshaw's, Unitas', Young's, Staubach's... did any of those quarterback's quit? Luck did. He had a full season off then returned to the best pass projection in the NFL... that's a FACT.

I’m probably missing someone. But, with Cannon to IR, Andrews already ruled out, and only Russey elevated, don’t the Patriots only have 7 olinemen eligible to be active tomorrow? Wouldn’t that limit them to only dressing 46 players for tomorrow’s game rather than the usual 48 including the 8 Olinemen?

Brown, Strange, Ferentz, Onwenu, Wynn, Cajuste and Russey.- Right? Hines went to IR last week to activate Cajuste? Could Andrews have cleared concussion protocol today and be active tomorrow?

Murray is on the Practice Squad, but maximum of two elevations allowed. Bowden elevated instead of him for some reason.

The interesting thing about this tweet is from the replies, which others have probably mentioned, I'm sure:
"Lynn Bowden Jr. won the 2019 Paul Hornung Award for being the most versatile player in college football. Marcus Jones won this award in 2021 and Jabrill Peppers won it in 2016. Bowden Jr. will fit perfectly with the Patriots."

of RPO with Ehlinger probably.

Then if that's the case I want to see the QB hit EVERY time he meshes with the RB because at that point he is a run threat too.

It used to be that against the triple option, you'd have one guy assigned to each option and you'd add another to whichever you thought was the most dangerous option. Today's RPO is a single wing concept that only has 2 options, but with today's althletic QB's the QB himself adds a 3rd so after he pulls out of the mesh he is a run pass threat. Clearly the most dangerous is the QB and there should always be both a LB and S assigned to him.

BTW- one of the more intriguing aspects of the triple option was that it always left one DLman unblocked. In 3-4 it would be the DE. Because he wasn't blocked it would allow the OG and OT to seal off the inside. The QB would read the DE. If he stepped down the line to stop the run, the QB would keep the ball and have a run pitch option on the OLB. If the DE step UP across the LOS, he'd give the ball to the running back who's path was to run from the FB spot to the outside shoulder of the OG.

Like the RPO, when it came onto the scene in some colleges, it was so successful it was quickly adopted by a majority of schools and by 1980 was the most popular offense in eastern MA HS football. Eventually it found some initial success in the NFL as well. But like a LOT of various offensive or defensive systems, EVENTUALLY their counterparts catch up with innovation, and those who don't evolve with these changes die on that hill.

Buddy Ryan developed the 46 D and over the course of 3 years it evolved into the beast that destroy all comers in 85. Here is a link to a decent description of the 46 (name for a player NOT an alignment) that saves me a lot of trouble and does it better than I would have.

But to make a short point long, the fact is that defense catch up with offenses and offenses with D's. Within 2 years the best one year team in NFL history (imo) was out of the playoffs for over a decade. Ryan turned that 85 defense in the Eagle job, but had more pedestrian success. He got the Eagles to the playoffs 3 times in the 6 years he was HC but was 0-3 in 3 playoff games. Jim Swartz was the last guy to use a lot of the 46 concepts. He probably uses some parts today.

The point of all this is this is learn and evolve league. Whatever is new and "revolutionary" soon becomes dated and old fashioned. Coaches that don't evolve with the ever changing landscape, don't coach long. So why has Bill been so successful for so long, its because the only real consistency in Bill's system is the language, and that too is constantly evolving. As far as offensive and defensive "systems" go. There really are none.

As far as the Colts go, this will STILL be a stop the Colts run game first and make Ehlinger throw for over 350 yds to beat them and see if he can do it.

The other things I want to see from the Pats tomorrow is more motion in the offense and more pass attempts with the QB under C.

and BTW- HIT the damned QB

Ehlinger was a gamer at Texas. He came thru when UT wasn't particularly talented or well coached. What wins they got often were Ehlinger just gutting it out. I was hoping he would fall out of the draft; thought he would he a good UDFA QB->WR conversion a la Edelman.

going to be like a late spring/early summer day in Foxboro today...mid-high 70s. a great day for tailgating

Ehlinger was a gamer at Texas. He came thru when UT wasn't particularly talented or well coached. What wins they got often were Ehlinger just gutting it out. I was hoping he would fall out of the draft; thought he would he a good UDFA QB->WR conversion a la Edelman.
I kind of liked him as a raw project too, but for those same reasons, him being a rookie starter is not a great thing for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back