PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-draft contacts (2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesWelker83

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Patriots Player Contact Page

Who started that thread last year on all the players the Patriots have contacted (Interviews, workouts, campus visits, etc)? It would be nice if someone could do that again this year.

Re: Patriots Player Contact Page

Who started that thread last year on all the players the Patriots have contacted (Interviews, workouts, campus visits, etc)? It would be nice if someone could do that again this year.

I think it was Box who started and maintained the list.

As long as I'm here...........

Players who Patriots representatives reportedly (various on-site sources) spoke with at Senior Bowl practices:

DE Christian Ballard
DE Pernell "Nanny" McPhee
OLB KJ Wright
QB Greg McElroy
SS Ahmad Black (former CB who probably returns to that position in the NFL)

Shrine Game (reported) contacts:

RB Alex Green
OLB Cheta Ozougwu
DT/DE David Carter
OG Caleb Schlauderaff
OT Joseph Barksdale
SS/FS Justin Taplin-Ross

McPhee seems to me an "interesting" choice for a contact. He measured 6029/274 at the weigh-in. Projected 40 is 4.76.

Teammate of Kyle Love (also KJ Wright, Jamar Chaney). Originally from "legendary" Pahokee, FL. Only played 2 years at Mississippi State (JUCO transfer from Itawamba, MS CC). Not much pass rush at all. Led the team in TFL as a junior, 2nd in TFL as a senior. Knocked down a few passes both years.

Positive notes from Senior Bowl practices:
- good pop off the snap
- decent strength
- stays in gaps, holds edge very well, tough vs. the run, can blow up blockers in space
- takes well to coaching and implements tips, making improvements

Didn't perform well in the game - no pass-rush impact, reportedly had trouble keeping his feet. CBS has him already sliding out of the 3rd round, probably out of the top 100.
--------
More on McPhee:

Played only one year of HS ball at Pahokee. Had 75 tackles, 35 TFL, 19 sacks, 12 FF. Also played OT. Pahokee went 14-0 and won the state campionship.

Was a JUCO "star" - 33 sacks, 40 TFL in 2 seasons; had 67 tackles as a soph. Offered scholarships by Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Kentucky, Illinois, Michigan, Kansas State and West Virginia, as well as Mississippi State.

Last edited:
List player, position, contact location, and source. Please provide link if possible.

PW - private workout to be held
V - team is bringing in player to team facilities
I - interviewed at Combine
S - spoke with at all star games
APD - attended Pro Day
RI - rumored interest
MV -team took prospect out, worked out individually at Pro Day, or
miscellaneous visit

---

QB Greg McElroy - S

RB Alex Green - S

OT Joseph Barksdale - S

OG Caleb Schlauderaff - S

DE Christian Ballard - S
DE Pernell "Nanny" McPhee - S
DT/DE David Carter - S

OLB Cheta Ozougwu - S
OLB KJ Wright - S

SS Ahmad Black - S
SS/FS Justin Taplin-Ross - S

Add Gabe Carimi OT Wisc to the list, He was contacted by the Patriots at The Senior Bowl and when asked what they talked about he replied, they told me not to talk about meeting with them.

Just talked with Colin Kaepernick and he stated that he had a long talk with a Patriots Scout at the Senior Bowl. Wouldn't/Couldn't elaborate on what they talked about.

According to Ian Rapaport, Pats scouts talked to DE Jarvis Jenkins at the Senior Bowl, and, apparently, the Patriots have expressed some interest in WR Dane Sanzenbacher (because, apparently, having four smurfy white pass catchers on the payroll isn't enough for NE ;) ).

Last edited:
According to Ian Rapaport, Pats scouts talked to DE Jarvis Jenkins at the Senior Bowl, and, apparently, the Patriots have expressed some interest in WR Dane Sanzenbacher (because, apparently, having four smurfy white pass catchers on the payroll isn't enough for NE ;) ).

Preparing for an eventual Welker departure (and not having enough confidence in Edelman to take over the role)?

Preparing for an eventual Welker departure (and not having enough confidence in Edelman to take over the role)?

"Eventual" may not be until well after the 2011 season. . . .

The Pats are supposed to talk with Marcus Gilber - G - Florida today.

The Pats may have talked to Gabe Carimi as well.

The Pats are supposed to talk with Marcus Gilber - G - Florida today.

The Pats may have talked to Gabe Carimi as well.

I had a note that the Pats talked to Carimi at the Senior Bowl. Apparently, Carimi was asked about it and replied, "I can't comment about the Patriots." Getting right with the program, he is.

Front page.

C BRANDON FUSCO, SLIPPERY ROCK

Brandon Fusco Draft Journal 4- Feb 28

I met with about 25 offensive line coaches of different NFL teams and had 5 private meetings with GM, head coaches, etc. I had private meetings with the Patriots, Chargers, Cardinals, Cowboys, and Dolphins. Those teams seem like the most interested right now.
---

TE JULIUS THOMAS, PORTLAND STATE

Julius Thomas Draft Journal #3- Feb 27

I had official interviews with the Broncos, Raiders, Cowboys, and Jaguars. I had another interview with the Patriots and Bill Bellicheck. Those are the teams who showed a lot of interest.
---

Very high on Fusco, and Thomas is an interesting story.

C BRANDON FUSCO, SLIPPERY ROCK

Brandon Fusco Draft Journal 4- Feb 28

---

TE JULIUS THOMAS, PORTLAND STATE

Julius Thomas Draft Journal #3- Feb 27

---

Very high on Fusco, and Thomas is an interesting story.
What's interesting, Fusco was the third most athletic OL at the Combine behind only Castonzo (LT) and Kelce (30 lbs lighter). He's one of the guys who made my short list of prospects who put up change of direction and vertical jump numbers similar to one or more of the current NE starters.

DB Mark LeGree confirms "informal" visit with NE DB coach at Combine

From what LeGree and others have written in their draft diaries, you could list the entire Combine invite list in this thread. Since those contacts are from position coaches, they probably play a significant role in developing Pro-Day and Private Workout lists after the Combine film, results, and notes are digested. I believe each team is limited to 60 "formal" interviews which are only 15 minutes.

I don't know about you, but I worry about WW longevity, with the accumulation of hits he takes. I get the feeling he is going to hit a wall at some point, figuring about 2 more good years,,,.

Be nice if Tate and Price become way more productive and take the attention away from WW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes