PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Combine Workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not angry at all actually. No offense to Mr. Willie, but we didn't lose to Baltimore because of their prolific running game, we lost because Brady had one viable WR to throw to and no threat of a running game. Speaking of McGinest, I would consider him the last pick of a prolific 3-4 OLB pass rusher the Pats have had. How did that pan out for us? We had a threat off the edge for over a decade.

And to mention the other AFCE teams, and how we should be worried about their offenses undermines your argument. I really do not worry about these teams lining up and running the ball down our throats. If I remember right, I do recall Henne having a career day against us because we got absolutely no pressure on him whatsoever. Am I seriously supposed to take your points about Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch and the Bills seriously? Their offense is horrendous, I don't care where they finished in rushing rankings. My worries about the NYJ have a lot more to do with their D than with their one dimensional O. But, if we're going to use potential opponents as are barometer as to which is more important, edge setters or pass rushers, why don't you look at the Superbowl? Against the Colts or Saints, would the world's best edge setter have made a lick of difference??? These are the teams we are chasing, and they are where they are because of Prolific passing games and athletic aggressive defenses, not world beating "edge setters".

Sorry, but I don't think the avg to below avg offenses in the AFCE should be deterring us from selecting the best pass rusher available in this draft. It's about time we run a 3-4 D where we actually have OLBs an opponent has to game plan for.
Willie McGinest was the 4th overall player selected, and oddly enough he didn't become the stud we know and love before Bill Belichick. Now I'd love to see a kid like Graham in round one or two, but I'm not holding my breath because the big bodies on the DL are also better when drafted high and BB likes his big boys. Perhaps BB will draft the SEC's sack leader at the end of the second or with a 3rd he picks up in a trade - I just wouldn't hold my breath for an edge rusher in round one. :confused2:

So, are you angry with us for telling you what we believe BB is thinking - based on what we've seen from him in past offseasons - or are you angry with BB for not doing it your way?

Who is this elite pass rusher you insist NE draft in round one? Would he have helped against Baltimore?

You do know Willie McGinest wants NE to get better against the run after Baltimore won the Wild Card game passing 10 times - total (4 completions)?

You've heard the NY Jest were the #1 rushing team in 2009? Miami has Ronnie Brown and Ricky Wiliams and were #4 in rushing? Buffalo has Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson (slugs, they only finished 16th)?

If you had a choice of putting the game in the hands of NY's rushing game or Mark Sanchez, which would you choose? Buffalo's QB du jour or their running backs? Chad Henne or put it in the hands of Ronnie and Ricky? Frustrating as it may be for you, BB just may have a valid reason for focusing on run defense first.

Oh Dear Lord, Capt. Downer agrees with you - the kiss of death, I am so sorry. :(

The Murderers...er, Ravens ran well against us not via the outside as much as via the inside; IOW, right at Mayo & Guyton & Stomper & Lil' Jimmy (& our DL, too). Yet our feeble pass-rush made Kyle Orton, Chad Henne & even Matt Moore look like All-Pros.

If Bill wants to improve the run defense, then he should focus on finding replacements for Jarvis Green & Derrick Burgess & Gary Guyton & Lil' Jimmy (Mayo & unfortunately Stomper aren't going anywhere). But he also needs to focus on finding OLB/DEs who can kill the QB first, and ask questions later.

The Murderers...er, Ravens ran well against us not via the outside as much as via the inside; IOW, right at Mayo & Guyton & Stomper & Lil' Jimmy (& our DL, too). Yet our feeble pass-rush made Kyle Orton, Chad Henne & even Matt Moore look like All-Pros.

If Bill wants to improve the run defense, then he should focus on finding replacements for Jarvis Green & Derrick Burgess & Gary Guyton & Lil' Jimmy (Mayo & unfortunately Stomper aren't going anywhere). But he also needs to focus on finding OLB/DEs who can kill the QB first, and ask questions later.
You always know precisely what to say to make me feel secure in my analysis. Muchos Gracias my friend. :D

I understand the hunger for an effective pass-rusher, even one who may not be so good against the run. And I understand the frustration with BB's insistence on getting guys who are good against the run even if their pass rush isn't top-notch. But, y'know, in 2009, the Pats faced 7 of the top 10 ground games in the NFL, including the #1 and the #4 - twice. And their schedule is similar for 2010. So, yeah, I'm with those who believe that our run defense needs to be good.

The thing is, I also believe that Brandon Graham's pass rush may be a bit better than TBC's from the get-go, and way better than Burgess' and that, if Graham replaces Burgess opposite TBC, TBC becomes that much more effective. However, from what I've seen and read, Graham is also pretty decent at setting the edge already and may not have far to go to become a very good run defender. The big question about him, AFAIK, is his coverage skill - and that may not matter as much as it has in the past, IF we have the right guys at ILB and safety.

So, if BB takes Graham in the 1st round, it may well turn out to make both camps happy.

You always know precisely what to say to make me feel secure in my analysis. Muchos Gracias my friend. :D

You got it. Always glad to be of service, and there's lots more where that came from.

If Andre Roberts runs < 4.5, I think we can pretty much forget about his availability with our 4th-rounder.

I haven't been following the TEs very well, though it appears that Overbay, along with Jim Dray & Nate Byham, seem worthy enough of one of our 7th-rounders as a blocking/GTG-target TE, similar to how Miami uses Joe Haynos.

Adrian Tracy might be worth a shot with one of the 7th-rounders, though I'd rather see if somebody like UConn's Lindsey Witten is still available, if it's developmental OLBs we're looking for at that point.

If Andre Roberts runs < 4.5, I think we can pretty much forget about his availability with our 4th-rounder.

I haven't been following the TEs very well, though it appears that Overbay, along with Jim Dray & Nate Byham, seem worthy enough of one of our 7th-rounders as a blocking/GTG-target TE, similar to how Miami uses Joe Haynos.

Adrian Tracy might be worth a shot with one of the 7th-rounders, though I'd rather see if somebody like UConn's Lindsey Witten is still available, if it's developmental OLBs we're looking for at that point.
Tracey > Witten

Overbay didn't really impress me that much at the Shrine Game. The Harbor kid in the TvN game looked better for a small school target.

I'm starting to be convinced more and more that most of the Combine workout numbers mean little. The exception is the 20 yard shuttle. This more closely resembles what players do on the field.

I'd rather see a player with a 20s under 4 than someone run a 4.3 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents