PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PRACTICE SQUAD: Ohrnberger, Brown, Crable, Jenkins, McKenzie, Javarris James, Mastrud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PRACTICE SQUAD: Ohrnberger, Brown, Crable, Jenkins

TE Jeron Mastrud
- This son of a high school football coach brings intelligence (2008-09 Academic All-American), character (named to AFCA Good Works team) and underrated athleticism to the tight end position.

- Release: Not a blazer off the line of scrimmage, but slips by linebackers and is sneaky-quick into his pattern. Will separate past linebackers once in the second level and get down the seam.

- Hands: Catches ball away from his frame, even when he's facing the quarterback. Good concentration and isn't afraid of the big hit when catching between the linebackers. Gets most high throws, snatching them out of the air even when threatened by the safety. Inconsistent bringing in low throws, as he lacks great flexibility.

- Route running: Best as a move-the-chains receiver but can occasionally make a longer play. Finds holes between linebackers on short patterns, presenting his numbers for the quarterback. Adequate foot quickness on out-routes, although he should sink his hips more going in. Will use a head and body fake to slip by second level and into the third. Boxes out linebackers using his tall frame.

- After the catch: Secures the ball after the catch, with two hands if necessary. Leans forward and keeps his feet alive to run through tackles. Fights for the first down while keeping legs churning. Enough speed to make defenses pay for letting him loose through their zone. Some agility in the open field, but not much elusiveness.

- Blocking: Looks tall and lean, but anchors well on the edge. Readjusts hands if losing his grip after initial contact. Drives into defensive ends on run plays, keeping his hands and feet moving to push him back. Used in motion to seal the edge and in the backfield as an extra pass protector. Fires off the snap to get angle to stop backside run support - although he lacks the strength to sustain against larger ends. Find a target on the second level and sustains in most cases. Struggles with great quickness one-on-one on the outside.

- Intangibles: Plays a lot of snaps and gives good effort on every one. Second-team Academic All-American, KSU's Big 12/Chik-fil-a Fall Community of Champions representative, and nominated for AFCA Good Works Team in 2008.

1. Respect for the guys that are sitting with their future in the Pats hands. It is not nice to purposely delay causing anxiety in another person.

Taking your time to find the right fit for your team is more important than getting it done immediately.

2. The players can go to another PS.

A lot of other teams have already dealt with their practice squads, so the remaining players aren't being clamored after as heavily. Once you've waited, you get the pick of what's left.

The question is not Why hurry? The question is Why wait? What significant advantage do the Pats gain waiting? No-one has answered the question.

They are practice squad players, not starters. Even if they get signed immediately, they can be replaced in just about the next moment. This is not a calamity.

RB Javarris James.
- PLAYERS TO WATCH: RB Javarris James had a big night with 150 yards on just 10 rushes against Oklahoma. He also can catch the ball out of the backfield (six receptions in four games).

Edgerrin's cousin. Injuries slowed him in college, but he could develop into a Faulk-like option for NE.

Taking your time to find the right fit for your team is more important than getting it done immediately.

A lot of other teams have already dealt with their practice squads, so the remaining players aren't being clamored after as heavily. Once you've waited, you get the pick of what's left.

They are practice squad players, not starters. Even if they get signed immediately, they can be replaced in just about the next moment. This is not a calamity.

Why wait?

It looks like the answer is because we are not signing any of our released players except maybe McKenzie - have to wait if he clears waivers and then we will know. If we were going to resign our training camp guys, they probably would have already done it. They are talking to and signing other guys - let's hope Buddy fits in somehow.

Last edited:

Why wait?

It looks like the answer is because we are not signing any of our released players except maybe McKenzie - have to wait if he clears waivers and then we will know. If we were going to resign our training camp guys, they probably would have already done it. They are talking to and signing other guys - let's hope Buddy fits in somehow.

Again, what's the rush? As I already noted:

I am kind of hoping that the Patriots sign some of the college pass rushers that failed with the team that drafted them (i.e. similar to the Jets). The Jets managed to sign Cody Brown (UCONN) and Jarron Gilbert (San Jose State) to the practise squad and claimed Marcus Dixon (Hampton) of the waiver.

Not surprised we have signed a TE, always seem to have one.

A player is not forced to play for us. Perhaps McKenzie has another offer. We have two spots left, which seems fine to me. I'm sure that we will have a full squad in a couple fo days.

CoachB indicated that more changes would be coming..or a CHANCE of some..so maybe they are waiting to see what happens before they make the move for the last two slots. Even though I would not have guessed TE or RB...good moves..I think Meyers obviously has some takers but Mastrud looks pretty smart and solid. Same for Baby J...hoping he can be like his cousin..although I agree maybe more in a Faulk type role...

Javarris James, eh?

BB seemingly likes his players from the U. Can't say I fault him for that :)

Again, what's the rush? As I already noted:

The only rush is to get access to the better players. Nothing stopping you from waiting for the other 31 teams to make their selections, take your time, and find the remaining players that fit.

Similar to the draft -- no penalty for waiting longer, allowing the teams behind you to pick, and then making your selection in your own time.

A player is not forced to play for us. Perhaps McKenzie has another offer. We have two spots left, which seems fine to me. I'm sure that we will have a full squad in a couple fo days.
One spot may remain open until Ojinakka comes off suspension, and someone is cut and signed to the ps (Maneri?Fletcher? Love?)

Agreed.........

One spot may remain open until Ojinakka comes off suspension, and someone is cut and signed to the ps (Maneri?Fletcher? Love?)

Last edited by a moderator:

The only rush is to get access to the better players. Nothing stopping you from waiting for the other 31 teams to make their selections, take your time, and find the remaining players that fit.

Similar to the draft -- no penalty for waiting longer, allowing the teams behind you to pick, and then making your selection in your own time.

It's not really similar. With practice players, teams can still take them from you. With draft picks, you 'own' them.

Last edited:

That is if they pass through waivers...this year it seems a LOT of players are getting signed by other teams. I wonder about Maneri...if they wish to get him through waivers...if that could be hard. I agree those are the 3..although Deaderick is a longshot.

I am sure the Patriots have made MANY many calls and talked to many players. They probably have a few different avenues they could take, depending on their roster moves and such. There will still be changes to the 53 before Sunday.

That is if they pass through waivers...this year it seems a LOT of players are getting signed by other teams. I wonder about Maneri...if they wish to get him through waivers...if that could be hard. I agree those are the 3..although Deaderick is a longshot.
Maneri made it to us, so that doesnt leave too many teams. And he is a project, so I think his spot on the 53 is shaky....I dont believe he will be ready to play in the NFL this year at 270 lbs

Maneri made it to us, so that doesnt leave too many teams. And he is a project, so I think his spot on the 53 is shaky....I dont believe he will be ready to play in the NFL this year at 270 lbs
is 290 reportedly.

It's not really similar. With practice players, teams can still take them from you. With draft picks, you 'own' them.
Assume you understand the rules and are making a point.
Agreed, teams can take them. Of course, they have to cut a player from the 53-man roster, as I'm sure you know.
One team cannot take a practice squad player from another team for their own practice squad.
Given that the discussion in this thread is focused on the practice squad (see title), we are discussing how to get players on the Patriots practice squad.

The argument was: better to wait and get players that truly fit than rush into signing practice squad players.
Couple issues:
The players you want might be selected by the other 31 teams. There are lots of teams looking for pass-rushing versatile DE's and OLB's, big DL, tall accurate QB's, and athletic OL.
Isn't that sort of what the Player Personnel Dept is supposed to be doing -- watching preseason games, reviewing draft scouting reports, and identifying the players the team might want, so they are ready the one day when a couple hundred players are released?

Assume you understand the rules and are making a point.
Agreed, teams can take them. Of course, they have to cut a player from the 53-man roster, as I'm sure you know.
One team cannot take a practice squad player from another team for their own practice squad.
Given that the discussion in this thread is focused on the practice squad (see title), we are discussing how to get players on the Patriots practice squad.

The argument was: better to wait and get players that truly fit than rush into signing practice squad players.
Couple issues:
The players you want might be selected by the other 31 teams. There are lots of teams looking for pass-rushing versatile DE's and OLB's, big DL, tall accurate QB's, and athletic OL.
Isn't that sort of what the Player Personnel Dept is supposed to be doing -- watching preseason games, reviewing draft scouting reports, and identifying the players the team might want, so they are ready the one day when a couple hundred players are released?

Well, they're also supposed to be ready on draft day, yet there are bad picks galore for every team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes