PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential Coaching Candidates after BB Retires [Update: Bedard believes Monday's outcome could result in "serious question" about Belichick's Future]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of the people are correct then the team ownership is really nuts to think like this. Bedard will be right slways though. If bb switches OCs next yr it will be -"Kraft made BB change OCs or leave"

SVN, you understand the game the mediots are playing here, exactly correct.

Many, if not all those "posters" will not be here Ian......fyi, and imo
Hopefully you’re referring to their fandom but if so, there’s probably some truth to that. Hopefully they’ll stay on board, but I’m sure there will be a further drop off…unfortunately.

this has become ridicolous - seriously only in boston this gets so much air time , that to in the middle of 6-6 season

Hopefully you’re referring to their fandom but if so, there’s probably some truth to that. Hopefully they’ll stay on board, but I’m sure there will be a further drop off…unfortunately.
Oh, absolutely nothing to do with this superb message board , just "their" fandom as you so succinctly put it.

I'd still be on usenet if this stupid web thing didn't take hold.

I'd still be on usenet if this stupid web thing didn't take hold.
Lol, myself as well. Those were definitely simpler times ;)

this has become ridicolous - seriously only in boston this gets so much air time , that to in the middle of 6-6 season

I am glad for Boston sports media. They are infuriating because they nitpick really good teams but they also help in applying pressure on the hometown teams to be good, otherwise they get lambasted. I’d rather we have that than an apathetic sports media that is fine with middling teams.

We have been a middling team for three straight seasons now and are regressing. I’m all about the pressure being applied to Belichick and the organization as a whole.

I was no fan of BOB in 2010-11, but the guy did get us to a SB with BJGE, Ridley & Woodhead as our backs.
He excelled with the 2TE offense (granted, it was Gronk & AH)
But, I think Mac is fine with a hothead - as long as he's an offensive mind who communicates.
MP is a silent mind-f*er who plays mental games.
At this point, I'd be fine if BB stays for 1-2 more years and giving BOB a chance to prove his Patriot-way-ness as potential HC candidate.
Moving MP to advisor role, giving Mayo DC title, kicking Judge out.
Or, just ditching BB and his cronies (and kids), and starting over with BOB. I think he'd be able to reduce "newness" with Mac & offense by picking up from Bama past.
Why would you want to get rid of Steve Belichick when they have one of the best defenses in the league? Maybe Mayo's a bigger part of it but the D is good.

Why would you want to get rid of Steve Belichick when they have one of the best defenses in the league? Maybe Mayo's a bigger part of it but the D is good.
I heard someone suggest … can’t recall who … Mayo as a possible successor. I thought that was an interesting choice since he’d definitely bring the intensity. Just not sure what kind of staff he’d be able to surround himself with.

I am glad for Boston sports media. They are infuriating because they nitpick really good teams but they also help in applying pressure on the hometown teams to be good, otherwise they get lambasted. I’d rather we have that than an apathetic sports media that is fine with middling teams.

We have been a middling team for three straight seasons now and are regressing. I’m all about the pressure being applied to Belichick and the organization as a whole.
They stir the pot quite well, for sure :cool:

They certainly do not have one of the best defenses in the league.

3 seasons is not a lot IMO. if you have won 6 SBs and been to many AFCCG and still have only 1 losing season in the last 3 ( so far). who is the gold standard right now ? Pats fans dont know what it is outside so even 3 seasons seems like a lot. Imagine some new guy comes and trades all the picks for a splash and we go nowhere after 2 seasons. Lot of teams especially without the elite QB are in that carousel right now . I know kraft says we havent won a playoff game in 2 yrs and like it being a standard . but its not realistic the way NFL is setup. only way to defy it is to have a out of world QB and Coach both for 20 yrs. There is really no precedent to this.
The media loves to drive its teams out and love they are mediocre since they are happy being a miserable sports town.

I think people have a misguided opinion about Bill O’Brien. Folks think he “destroyed the Texans”, and he sort of did (or at least set them on a pathway to destruction), but it certainly wasn’t due to his coaching. He actually did an excellent job as a coach and the team was great under him… when he was JUST the coach.

The issues occurred when his relationship with the GM deteriorated and he issued a demand that was basically “fire the GM and give me his job and a fat raise, or fire me.” He expected to be fired. To his surprise, Houston went with option A and fired the GM and made BOB the new GM/HC combo. Unfortunately, BOB was a really awful GM and that’s when the problems really took root. Then you’ve got the whole Jack Easterby nonsense that was starting to happen around then too, which further tanked the team culture.

I don’t agree that they should replace Belichick with O’Brien in 2023 (that’s nonsense to me) but I’m 100% onboard with him as an OC and a Belichick successor in a couple of years if that’s on the table. But for the love of all that’s holy, just make sure you keep Groh & team in place in the front office and don’t let O’Brien have roster control.

3 seasons is not a lot IMO. if you have won 6 SBs and been to many AFCCG and still have only 1 losing season in the last 3 ( so far). who is the gold standard right now ? Pats fans dont know what it is outside so even 3 seasons seems like a lot. Imagine some new guy comes and trades all the picks for a splash and we go nowhere after 2 seasons. Lot of teams especially without the elite QB are in that carousel right now . I know kraft says we havent won a playoff game in 2 yrs and like it being a standard . but its not realistic the way NFL is setup. only way to defy it is to have a out of world QB and Coach both for 20 yrs. There is really no precedent to this.
The media loves to drive its teams out and love they are mediocre since they are happy being a miserable sports town.
Absolutely incorrect. Mediocre or bad teams make fans less interested which is bad for business with the media.

They certainly do not have one of the best defenses in the league.
They absolutely do, however hasn't looked like it past 2 games.. need to start to show up against elite offenses.

They absolutely do, however hasn't looked like it past 2 games.. need to start to show up against elite offenses.
They beat up on bad offenses and get shredded by a competent offense. This has been going on for at least 3 years.

They beat up on bad offenses and get shredded by a competent offense. This has been going on for at least 3 years.
Yes, the corners are good not elite. Need elite DBs to go against elite WRs Diggs and Allen played catch with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes