PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Posters Have Great Troubles Evaluating The Play Of OL's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Who among has a clue with regard to how well the 3 new OL's have done? Or how well Karras has done?

How should we evaluate OL's

And on what basis? What were their assignments? How much help did they need from folks next to them?
==================
With my very little information, I think that we will have a very fine line when Wynn comes back.
Wynn, Thuney, Karras, Mason, Cannon
and perhaps through next year if Thuney is extended.
==================
As an aside, some here think that all 5 positions are equal, and the GM's are presumably uninformed when they keep on giving more money to LT's.

@PP2 and a few others like to create a weekly thread based on the "All-22" film review.
Some of the comment in those threads will reveal schematic design and highlight good footwork by the linemen.

Perhaps a good weekly exercise would be a thread with regard to how well each of our OL's played. Obviously, this is especially important this season.

@PP2 and a few others like to create a weekly thread based on the "All-22" film review.
Some of the comment in those threads will reveal schematic design and highlight good footwork by the linemen.

That would be interesting and would require a keen eye for film study since the cameramen follow the ball.

Considering they're new and the heat in Miami, I think Cunningham(Graham according to Fouts) and especially Newhouse played their asses off. They made mistakes and obviously need work but I'm surprised Newhouse survived considering the Pats time of possession.

Perhaps there are those here who have the skills/eye and are willing. Perhaps they could start with only the newbies.

That would be interesting and would require a keen eye for film study since the cameramen follow the ball.

As an aside, some here think that all 5 positions are equal, and the GM's are presumably uninformed when they keep on giving more money to LT's.

What a petty little thing to sneak in at the end there after making a big deal about how none of us, yourself included, are truly informed. I'm certainly one of the posters you're referring to, and this is an inaccurate reduction of my position. Contracts for LTs do in fact get a little positional bonus compared to the rest of the line, but the fact that some of the highest paid offensive linemen in football don't play left tackle means the value gap isn't that big.

Matchups, positional fit/comfort, and talent are much more important than who lines up on the left or the right. I was arguing that it would be dumb to move 2 or 3 guys around on our line just to have Thuney or Cannon or someone else at LT when you could just plug the next best guy into his natural position and keep things as stable as possible.

Perhaps a good weekly exercise would be a thread with regard to how well each of our OL's played. Obviously, this is especially important this season.

Not sure why it requires an additional thread outside the rewatch/all22 one. It is where most of the commentary on plays from various levels of depth happens. Talking OL seems like the perfect fit.

I apologize for any offense. But, yes I did slip that comment in at the end, as an after thought.

There was one poster who indicated that all the positions were we equal, and that the idea that LT's were more valuable went out in the 80's. To my knowledge have never made any such representation.
===========
Let's separate two issues.
===========
GM's throughout the league value LT's move than they value RG's. I think this is shown by what OL's are paid. And yes, in the past few years, the other OL positions have been valued more than in past times. It no longer surprising to see an OL from any position get a $10M per year payday. So, yes, the gap is decreasing, especially for RT's who are more and more valuable.
=========
Now let's discuss game situations. Yes, there are many situations where facing a particular team makes a RT more valuable than our LT, or even a C most valuable.
=========
Now, let us proceed to the "real' issue, where BB and Dante have been very, very clear over the past 20 years. They agree with you, and I do also. The very, very strong preference is to have the next man up be a player who plays the position. So, yes, the backup LT (like Waddle) comes in when the LT is injured or out. The second, related issue is that Bill and Dante want our best set of OL's on the field.

So. let me give a hypothetical. Let us say that Bodine worked out to be good enough to start at center and Wynn as going to be out for a few weeks. Would we at least consider a line of Thuney, Karras, Bodine, Mason, Cannon? I think that we would unless we could secure a solid backup LT.
===========
OUR CURRENT SITUATION
We are reasonably well set except that we don't have a quality LT. Curiously, this was the point of the thread in the first place. I am personally NOT equipped to be able to evaluate the OT play by the newbies. I'm pretty sure that Thuney could keep Brady alive. I'm not at all sure of the rest.

So, the BOTTOM LINE is that I would be thrilled if one our new players is good enough to take over at LT. If not, my very strong suspicion is that it is easier to secure a LG than a LT.

What a petty little thing to sneak in at the end there after making a big deal about how none of us, yourself included, are truly informed. I'm certainly one of the posters you're referring to, and this is an inaccurate reduction of my position. Contracts for LTs do in fact get a little positional bonus compared to the rest of the line, but the fact that some of the highest paid offensive linemen in football don't play left tackle means the value gap isn't that big.

Matchups, positional fit/comfort, and talent are much more important than who lines up on the left or the right. I was arguing that it would be dumb to move 2 or 3 guys around on our line just to have Thuney or Cannon or someone else at LT when you could just plug the next best guy into his natural position and keep things as stable as possible.

Jeff Howe:

PFF:

Newhouse 71 snaps 1 hit two hurries 2 penalties 49.8 pass block grade (below average)
Kunningham 59 snaps 2 hurries 1 penalty 63.2 pass block grade (average)

Brady was pressured from the tackle position.

Its noticeable that Cannon isn't out there.

Wynn hasn't been really tested but his back up has me drinking whiskey.

Brady was pressured from the tackle position.

Its noticeable that Cannon isn't out there.

Wynn hasn't been really tested but his back up has me drinking whiskey.

at least Cannon will be back. LT is a big concern.

Posters Have Great Troubles Evaluating The Play Of OL's

That is true for me, in terms of knowing technique and gauging performance during a game (other than when somebody gives up a sack)... whenever there's a thread about it, I read it... but I'm kind of like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back