PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Pats beat the Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense allowed 167 rushing yards on 34 carries; a 4.9 ypa.

They got gashed on three runs - Miller for 31 around the edge (early), Watson for 13 on a scramble (early), Blue for 17 yards in the 2nd half.

Take those away and the Run-D allowed 106 yards on 31 carries; a 3.4 ypa. The defense gave up a lot of relatively short runs late in the game (4-man rush, 7 back in coverage) that encouraged the Texans to keep going to it, even though they were down 2 scores - thus, killing their own clock in the process. Good strategic move.
Exactly

I'm fine with what I saw today. They showed they can get pressure, the secondary wasn't awful, like every year they had some issues when the QB's make a break for it, Brady did fine for what he had at WR and we should be good once Edelman is back (Dorsett stepped up).

This was about the most Patriots game ever though

Most of my concerns were relieved at least through the first game:

Dorsett was a reliable target, appears to be a solid 4th option once Edelman gets back.

Secondary played well in Butler's absense. J Jones looked good again. Gilmore is huge, worth every penny we paid him thus far.

Feel pretty comfortable about Trent brown taking over in solder’s departure.

KR coverage sucked, but I'm guessing they will iron things out. If not just have ghost boot it out the ez. Mccaron blows and is hopefully done in ne.

I’m satisfied, would’ve been a double digit win without an unfortunate deflection leading to a pick and/or incompetent a** mccarron.

Tempering my expectations for the d as Watson looked rusty , but the pass rush looked legit and that had nothing to do with the other qb being rusty.

Most of my concerns were relieved at least through the first game:

Dorsett was a reliable target, appears to be a solid 4th option once Edelman gets back.

Secondary played well in Butler's absense. J Jones looked good again. Gilmore is huge, worth every penny we paid him thus far.

Feel pretty comfortable about Trent brown taking over in solder’s departure.

KR coverage sucked, but I'm guessing they will iron things out. If not just have ghost boot it out the ez. Mccaron blows and is hopefully done in ne.

I’m satisfied, would’ve been a double digit win without an unfortunate deflection and/or incompetent a** mccarron.

Tempering my expectations for the d as Watson looked rusty , but the pass rush looked legit and that had nothing to do with the other qb being rusty.
Good post.

I'm of the same line of thinking.

I'm not big on Dez or maclin, but now that contracts are not guaranteed, wonder if BB takes a look.
Sign WR Kendall Wright tomorrow. Still need a PR. Webb sign from PS as RB?

This was about the most Patriots game ever though

ST issues, 2 turnovers in your own redzone and a Gronk fumble is the most Patriots game ever ? Sounds more like something rarely if ever seen to me. But maybe I am misunderstanding your point.

Doesn’t sound good for Hill...

Texans vaunted defense had 2 sacks and 5 hits on Brady; 0 and 0 in the 1st half.

The Pats "crappy" defense had 3 sacks and 12 hits on a "mobile QB" and still held him to 40 yards rushing and 50% passing.

@luuked - I want to apologize to you. I realized during the 3rd quarter that what you said about Allen could have been taken two different ways and I took it as meaning the negative since you had been saying that Special Teams had been bad to that point. I should have asked what you meant. Again, I'm sorry.

You take the win but it wasn’t pretty. 3rd down on offense was awful. One game doesn’t tell you much. Let’s see how they play from game to game.

ST issues, 2 turnovers in your own redzone and a Gronk fumble is the most Patriots game ever ? Sounds more like something rarely if ever seen to me. But maybe I am misunderstanding your point.
Starting out incredibly hot looking like you are about to break some records, cool down, a few drives cut short, let a few field goals keep it respectable, an untimely score that makes it look like the other team has a chance, then the unlikely hail mary attempts while never really feeling like you are gonna lose.

The fact that Hill walked around when he left the tent has me 50/50.

McCarron is a dead man walking. Wright makes sense

The fact that Hill walked around when he left the tent has me 50/50.

McCarron is a dead man walking. Wright makes sense

Just remember that Brady walked to the locker room after the hit to his knee against the Chiefs and we know how that turned out.

Yeah I think Webb is a nobrainer.
I'm not thrilled with any of the fa options, but now they're all risk free.
We're still a little thin at offensive skill positions,could use some depth.
Overall, feel great about the team after this game. Very solid all-around effort.
I knew the D would be better but that was fun to watch. And Rivers didn't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe