PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was an awfully sloppy game by all three units. With individual breakdowns everywhere to the point where I am wondering if someone will get cut or benched just to make a point.

The offense look good for the cards they were dealt. A lot of the gameplan went out of the window when Sony got injured and the number of available plays was already affected by Gronk not being active. That being said that unit can't have two turnovers in a game and expect to win it.

Gordon still looks like is not even close to full speed. If he ever gets there this will give the offense the added dimension it needs with Michel seemingly being out for a longer time. McDaniels made the best out of it with some plays (White's final TD, the entire first drive) being just beautiful. Other series' were stinkers.

I don't even know how to approach criticizing the defense because the majority of issues are individual breakdowns and lack of execution.

For the most part they are not getting outplayed or outschemed but simply whiff plays. Additionally the other units have given them so many short fields and created situations where they have to play a lot of series with almost no rest. This obviously doesn't help either.

I mean we know that overall we don't have the most talented individual players, but mistakes are made on such a basic level (e.g. Clayborn losing contain again and again, Rowe missing the tackle on a QB, Gilmore missing the very same tackle on the same play, the dropped INTs and so on) that I don't see what the coaching staff can do except make the next week about fundamentals yet again or make some kind of roster move to get their attention.

I wish we could discuss schematic issues or creative gameplans instead because those are at least fascinating issues. This lack of energy or edge is just frustrating and simply sucks.

The special teams are overall too inconsistent. I will not count Pattersons fumble against the overall ST unit because it was yet another individual mistake but despite the two big plays there were overall too many negative things happening.

Overall I am happy we got out of this sloppy game with a win and that's pretty much the only positive I can take out of it.

The positives for me are:

1. Getting pressure on the QB. That's happening contently and this is the second week we've seen that much pressure. I think it's by design. Force the QB's into mistakes. And it worked. The Bears have their own Lite version of Kelce, Hunt and Hill and we saw what they can do.

2. Special Teams - A TD, a nice return, couldn't pin them within the ten on the last drive, and a fumble.

3. The Offense put up 38 against a better defensive unit without Michel and Gronk. And they still ran the ball.

4. Against some of the better defensive fronts Brady has gotten time to throw. The Oline has been doing a nice job.

5. They haven't peaked offensively, defensively or as a complete team yet.

I thought the D played poorly again...shocker. That said it could have looked worse. Trubitsky absolutely shat the bed. He missed opportunities and underthrew receivers who could have really made us pay.

We caught some breaks, a better QB would have made us pay dearly.

This isn’t a bend but don’t break defense. They’re a bend over and take it hard defense.
uP0jAjn.jpg

We got a lot of work to do with this defense. Very sloppy.

Why do they keep putting Rowe on the field?

Pleas trade for Patrick Peterson.

Rowe is a JAG and he can't stay healthy. Get rid of him in the offseason.

A win on the road. Could of been way more lopsided in Pats favor but turnovers and missed opportunities on defense made it a lot closer than the score could have been.

Credit to trubisky for making some plays with his legs but that is not a sign of a championship qb when you cant stay in the pocket and make a throw.

Pressure was great, coverage was good. They took what they gave them.

Some people are so upset and I get it, but have we forgotten how hard it is for a team to win on the road? 1 down, 5 more to go on this run.

This defense happens we you suck at drafting defensive talent the past 3-4 seasons.

The positives for me are:

1. Getting pressure on the QB. That's happening contently and this is the second week we've seen that much pressure. I think it's by design. Force the QB's into mistakes. And it worked. The Bears have their own Lite version of Kelce, Hunt and Hill and we saw what they can do.

2. Special Teams - A TD, a nice return, couldn't pin them within the ten on the last drive, and a fumble.

3. The Offense put up 38 against a better defensive unit without Michel and Gronk. And they still ran the ball.

4. Against some of the better defensive fronts Brady has gotten time to throw. The Oline has been doing a nice job.

5. They haven't peaked offensively, defensively or as a complete team yet.

I agree with all of them. The only reason I replied was to highlight your point about the OL. They really deserve some praise for keeping Brady mostly clean. Except for those two miscommunication in protection where someone just burst through but that's hopefully easy to fix.

I didn't watch him the whole game but he had some nice plays today.

I agree with all of them. The only reason I replied was to highlight your point about the OL. They really deserve some praise for keeping Brady mostly clean. Except for those two miscommunication in protection where someone just burst through but that's hopefully easy to fix.

I don't know who's fault it was on the first one but I was yelling at Andrews. hahaha Poor guy.

I didn't watch him the whole game but he had some nice plays today.

Rowe had 1 play and it didn't really matter that he was there because so were Hightower and KVN. Otherwise, he stunk..

The pats are who we thought. They are still really good on offense, defense is trash.

Rowe had 1 play and it didn't really matter that he was there because so were Hightower and KVN. Otherwise, he stunk..

I thought I saw two PBU's.

I don't know who's fault it was on the first one but I was yelling at Andrews. hahaha Poor guy.

The first one, with no replay, I couldn't tell who was supposed to pick up the late man.
The second one was totally on Waddle because it was the Roquan Smith who went around to Waddle's right and came in for the sack. Contrary to someone else, Andrews stoned the DT from getting to Brady on that play.

Both times the defender got through so cleanly that I don't think it can be on Andrews. Usually he is pretty sound with being in the right place even if he can get beat physically.

I thought I saw two PBU's.

I didn't see him with a PBU. I saw him with at the LOS on Cohen. I saw him burned by Cohen on a crossing route. I saw his man drop a ball when he was a full step behind and then him pound his chest like he did something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents