PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-Draft thoughts: What I learned

Now we know for sure how Bill feels about Andrews. Unfortunately, we still don't have a backup Center who has actually played Center in the NFL.

...or in college for that matter. Though as @maineman209 noted, neither had Dan Connolly when he was the primary backup at center. (Connolly was a 4-year starting tackle for the mighty Southeast Missouri Redhawks.) It sure looks like Ted Karras's job to lose at this point.

I don't know what to make of Mike Reiss' statement that OG Dan Feeney would have been Bill's choice at 72 if he had still been available. Would he have challenged Andrew's position at Center, or Mason's at RG? I'm guessing the latter.

I don't know what to make of Mike Reiss' statement that OG Dan Feeney would have been Bill's choice at 72 if he had still been available. Would he have challenged Andrew's position at Center, or Mason's at RG? I'm guessing the latter.

For what it's worth, I believe Feeney was the only player in Doug Kyed's entire series to earn 11 out of 11 in terms of measurable cutoffs. Interesting food for thought.

Patriots Are Most Likely To Draft These Offensive Linemen With 2017 Picks

After looking over both OT & G/C charts from the above link, I am surprised & disappointed that Ben Braden, who checked off 9 of the 11 measurables boxes (the exceptions being short-shuttle & 3-cone, and even those #s weren't that bad), was not signed here as a UDFA. He would've had a much better chance to stick than Cole Croston, who needs A Lot of work in the weight room, does.

After looking over both OT & G/C charts from the above link, I am surprised & disappointed that Ben Braden, who checked off 9 of the 11 measurables boxes (the exceptions being short-shuttle & 3-cone, and even those #s weren't that bad), was not signed here as a UDFA. He would've had a much better chance to stick than Cole Croston, who needs A Lot of work in the weight room, does.

I reviewed Braden in my 2017 and would have been down with a late round (6-7) pick.

I think Feeney was an Andrews upgrade.

Thuney, Feeney, Mason molded by Scar is a he'll of an interior.

When a player who was expected to be drafted is still unsigned a week after the draft, you have to assume there's a reason. In Braden's case, FWIW there have been rumors that teams dropped him from their lists after his medical exams, due to lingering effects of past back injuries.

...or in college for that matter. Though as @maineman209 noted, neither had Dan Connolly when he was the primary backup at center. (Connolly was a 4-year starting tackle for the mighty Southeast Missouri Redhawks.) It sure looks like Ted Karras's job to lose at this point.

I still remember the 2nd quarter of a preseason game from Connolly's first or second year with the Pats, where he first got some game work at center, and fired a premature shotgun snap 4 feet wide of the QB, down around his own goalline.

That was back in the days of Box'o'Rocks and pats1 doing play charts.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back