PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Brady? More like Post BGEMMCTHW

VrabelJr

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Many a thread and post have been made about our lack of success Post Brady. I find this distinction to be lacking as we are not only Post Brady, we are also Post Gronk, Edelman, Mason, McCourty, Chung, Thuney, Hightower, and James White. That is an immense talent drain to try and overcome in just a couple seasons and I feel distilling it down to "Post Brady" just doesn't highlight that nearly enough. I hereby declare we use Post BGEMMCTHW (that's pronounced bih-gem-chith-wuh) from here on out.

Going to 4 Superbowls in 5 seasons between 2014-2018, losing a road AFC title game by 2 (friggin' Gostkowski), and losing a SB where your QB passes for a SB RECORD 505 yards....(Friggin' Brandin Cooks' injury from that dumb leap and Butler being on the bench)....

Not to mention us being in the AFC title game every year from 2011-2018 as well....and another Superbowl after the 2011 season as well...

Just an insane run....and yup...there were a lot of talented players on those teams.

From 2011-2018, I could confidently say that the Pats had the best QB, TE, Owner, and Coach in the league. Now we only have a really good owner....and the best game day coach...

We call it post Brady since a) QB is the most important position, and b) since the teams were still competitive with Brady even when the rosters weren't as good

Aside from that, yes, there is a talent drain that needs to be addressed. And I don't know how.

images

Many a thread and post have been made about our lack of success Post Brady. I find this distinction to be lacking as we are not only Post Brady, we are also Post Gronk, Edelman, Mason, McCourty, Chung, Thuney, Hightower, and James White. That is an immense talent drain to try and overcome in just a couple seasons and I feel distilling it down to "Post Brady" just doesn't highlight that nearly enough. I hereby declare we use Post BGEMMCTHW (that's pronounced bih-gem-chith-wuh) from here on out.
And whose fault is it that talent wasn't replaced?

Gronk left and Bill basically didn't figure out a way to get any production out of the position at all until he signed Hunter Henry. He just punted on the position 2019 and whiffed hard on two third round tight ends in 2020 who couldn't even get activated on game days when there was pretty much no one at the position.

Edelman wore down and retired like lots of receivers in their mid-30's except he is one of the few guys Bill actually had a suitable replacement to some extent. Meyers was a different type of receiver but slid into the slot receiver role and did well there. Of course we know what happened with him and March.

Shaq Mason is part of the complete mess at guard that Bill created the last few years. He franchised Thuney in a lost year in 2020 and cost us a 2021 comp pick. He then let Thuney walk in 2021, traded Mason in 2022, and completely bungled negotiations with Karras, and ended up reaching on a guard in the first round last year. The cherry on top is Strange isn't even good.

McCourty is in the Edelman category but doesn't seem to have a true replacement and for some reason Bill decided one of our better playmakers, Kyle Dugger, should play out of position in McCourty's free safety centerfield role which limits Dugger's impact. Luckily Peppers is playing well to help offset that.

Chung was adequately replaced with Dugger and now Peppers.

Thuney is part of the mess at guard with the Mason situation. Thuney will probably be an all-pro in KC this year.

Hightower is been replaced by Bentley for the most part. Bentley is a solid player but definitely a downgrade.

Post-James White era is like the post-Gronk era. Bill has apparently decided to just completely neglect the satellite back role. I guess in theory it was Ty Montgomery but he is a special teamer who never plays RB.

We lost good players due to retirement, trades, free agency, etc the same way any team would. Bill just didn't replace or adequately replace most of them. Bill used to always have guys waiting until the wheels started coming off. Matt Light to Solder then the wheels fell off with Wynn. Kevin Faulk, to Danny Woodhead, to Shane Vereen, to James White to no one. Troy Brown to Welker, to Edelman and Amendola, to Jakobi to no one. Some important positions on the roster Bill has missed badly or just ignored. It really is no surprise the roster is as bad as it is.

Going to 4 Superbowls in 5 seasons between 2014-2018, losing a road AFC title game by 2 (friggin' Gostkowski), and losing a SB where your QB passes for a SB RECORD 505 yards....(Friggin' Brandin Cooks' injury from that dumb leap and Butler being on the bench)....

Not to mention us being in the AFC title game every year from 2011-2018 as well....and another Superbowl after the 2011 season as well...

Just an insane run....and yup...there were a lot of talented players on those teams.

From 2011-2018, I could confidently say that the Pats had the best QB, TE, Owner, and Coach in the league. Now we only have a really good owner....and the best game day coach...
But Bill had nothing to do with it, he got lucky with TB :p

And whose fault is it that talent wasn't replaced?

Gronk left and Bill basically didn't figure out a way to get any production out of the position at all until he signed Hunter Henry. He just punted on the position 2019 and whiffed hard on two third round tight ends in 2020 who couldn't even get activated on game days when there was pretty much no one at the position.

Edelman wore down and retired like lots of receivers in their mid-30's except he is one of the few guys Bill actually had a suitable replacement to some extent. Meyers was a different type of receiver but slid into the slot receiver role and did well there. Of course we know what happened with him and March.

Shaq Mason is part of the complete mess at guard that Bill created the last few years. He franchised Thuney in a lost year in 2020 and cost us a 2021 comp pick. He then let Thuney walk in 2021 traded Mason in 2022 and completely bungled negotiations with Karras and ended up reaching on a guard in the first round last year and the cherry on top is Strange isn't even good.

McCourty is in the Edelman category but doesn't seem to have a true replacement and for some reason Bill decided one of our better playmakers, Kyle Dugger, should play out of position in McCourty's free safety centerfield role which limits Dugger's impact. Luckily Peppers is playing well to help offset that.

Chung was adequately replaced with Dugger and now Peppers.

Thuney is part of the mess at guard with the Mason situation. Thuney will probably be an all-pro in KC this year.

Hightower is been replaced by Bentley for the most part. Bentley is a solid player but definitely a downgrade.

Post-James White era is like the post-Gronk era. Bill has apparently decided to just completely neglect the satellite back role. I guess in theory it was Ty Montgomery but he is a special teamer who never plays RB.

We lost good players due to retirement, trades, free agency, etc the same way any team would. Bill just didn't replace or adequately replace most of them. Bill used to always have guys waiting until the wheels started coming off. Matt Light to Solder then the wheels fell off with Wynn. Kevin Faulk, to Danny Woodhead, to Shane Vereen, to James White to no one. Troy Brown to Welker, to Edelman and Amendola, to Jakobi to no one. Some important positions on the roster Bill has missed badly or just ignored. It really is no surprise the roster is as bad as it is.
Hear me out: it’s almost as if replacing a HoF TE and a bunch of other pro bowl players time and time again consistently is pretty hard to do.

The answer can be found in drafts from 2014 to the present and poor personnel decisions by Bill.

Bill likes the quiet/humble-less talented guys who won't make waves.
Just curious .. would you think that is a good recipe to run a large company? We’ve had plenty of good athletes that put team first. It’s not like the Pats from 2000 to 2020 are sending 20 guys to the hall of fame, yet they were strong in many facets of the team. Is it imperative to be humble and less talented? I’m convinced Billy does stay away from the biggest Prima Donna wide receivers just because of making waves thou…

You'd think he could muster up one pro bowler in 10 years of draft classes but here we are.
You mean like Joe Thuney or Jake Bailey? Obviously I’m giving you a hard time. We have drafted below average. Verdict still out on 2021 and beyond.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back