PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-2012 Draft UDFA Signings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots will probably end up with about 8. Unlike a lot of other teams
they signed 13 free agents.

...and UDFAs with any choice in the matter pick the team where they have the greatest chance at sticking on the roster.

Keeping a UDFA every year has helped the Pats stay attractive to prospects despite their crowded roster, but with the flood of veterans in the offseason this looks like a tough landing spot.

Re: UDFA's How does this work?

The new CBA actually mandates that the first contract for UDFAs must be a three-year deal.

I didn't realize the NFLPA had made that concession.

So they're locked in for three years if they're good, but can be cut with no consequence if they suck.

I guess in some ways it's a win win because that makes UDFAs that much more atrractive to teams

Damn Jets took 2 of my UDFA's that I wanted the Patriots to sign.:mad:

Ryan Steed
Brett Roy
:enranged:

As an interesting note, the Patriots have signed fewer UDFAs than any other team (NEPD has them at 4, with the Iggles at 7, and every other team with at least 8; some look like they've signed closer to 20).

TO clarify, that is ANNOUNCED signings, not all signings, which could be different, esp where the Pats are concerned.

I expect the Pats to sign a RB when a vet currently on a team roster is cut during or after TC. Can't see them just going with 2 rookies and Woodhead.

wow.

the ravens have really stocked up there.

Mind you aren't they in a whole world of cap pain.

The are more than likely going to have to jettison some talent to get under the cap figure.

Damn Jets took 2 of my UDFA's that I wanted the Patriots to sign.:mad:

Ryan Steed
Brett Roy
:enranged:
but worry not. These guys have little chance to make the team, as the Jests make roster decisions based on draft position.

I was looking all around for Antonio Allen (Safety from South Carolina) and then realized the Jest drafted him at the end of the 7th. I liked his chances. Oh well, here's to hoping the Jets are wrong on him and cut him :D

Re: UDFA's How does this work?

I didn't realize the NFLPA had made that concession.

So they're locked in for three years if they're good, but can be cut with no consequence if they suck.

I guess in some ways it's a win win because that makes UDFAs that much more atrractive to teams

Given the ERFA rules, it basically doesn't matter.

wow.

the ravens have really stocked up there.

Mind you aren't they in a whole world of cap pain.

The are more than likely going to have to jettison some talent to get under the cap figure.

Not necessarily as they were barely if at the 53 mark heading into the draft and some of that was futures flotsum and jetsum. If their older veteran guys can't stay healthy this season they could be in for a rough go depth wise.

4 by my count..

Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen & Kettani

6 RBs - add FBs Fiametta and Larsen. And you can add Ebner as an RB who, from his Rugby Youtubes looks like Tim Tebow as a rusher. Ebner's probably more accurate than Tebow as a passer, too, if he can throw that bloated Easter egg of a Rugby ball.

I wonder if Ebner can punt. They boot it a lot in Rugby. Later, Zoltan.

Last edited:
the chargers are at 21.........were laggin behind guys.....

Staff writer for Ole Miss tweeting that Brandon Bolden (RB) is expected to sign with New England shortly...not confirmed yet obviously.

Staff writer for Ole Miss tweeting that Brandon Bolden (RB) is expected to sign with New England shortly...not confirmed yet obviously.

Ha, same school as BJGE and he is like him too. 5'10 222 pounds, 4.6ish forty, maybe he'll stick.

I expect the Pats to sign a RB when a vet currently on a team roster is cut during or after TC. Can't see them just going with 2 rookies and Woodhead.

You have Kettani and the 2 FB on the roster also.

You have Kettani and the 2 FB on the roster also.

Kettani is one of my binkies (Go Navy).

That being said, I think they go with 4 RB's and one FB. Maybe this new UDFA sticks ala BJGE. ;)

Kettani is a FB as are Larsen and Fiametta..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back