PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-2012 Draft UDFA Signings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching and reading about Bolden, he's not a typical camp fodder UDFA. He has mid-level round talent and it seemed the coaches underutilized him.

Brandon Bolden hurdles defender - YouTube

The next Arian Foster :p

Last edited:
Brandon Bolden intrigues the heck out of me. He's not one of those RBs who was overused, but he was basically an over 5 yards per carry RB. On top of that, he catches his share of passes too, so for a big 5'11" 221 LB running back, he also has some good hands.

Color me very intrigued.

Watching and reading about Bolden, he's not a typical camp fodder UDFA. He has mid-level round talent and it seemed the coaches underutilized him.

I don't think he was underutilized -- they wore him out in 2010. Then he got hurt last year. Very similar to the Arian Foster situation actually. Just like Foster, he was headed for the high rounds of the draft after his junior year, and just like Foster, he stuck around for his senior season and was set to break his school's records (Foster was going to break Travis Henry's) when he got hurt and put in a rotation.

Incidentally, Forston was also projected by Todd McShay to be a first-rounder at this time last year. They might have a few steals in UDFA.

More than one pre-draft profile had Bolden among the potential candidates as "the next Arian Foster". It's a moon shot, but he has the athleticism and ability to compete for a roster spot at the very least. Like Foster, Bolden was hampered by an injury his last year in college, which may have caused him to drop.

FWIW, here's their measurements:

Size: Foster 6' 3/4" 226#; Bolden 5' 11" 222#
Speed: Foster 4.69 40; Bolden 4.66 (Combine)/4.50 (pro day) 40
Burst: Foster 1.62 10 yard split; Bolden 1.59 10 yard split
Agility: Foster 7.09 3-cone, 4.53 short shutle; Bolden 6.91 3-cone, 4.34 short shuttle
Exposiveness: Foster 32" vertical, 9'7" broad jump; Bolden 38" vertical, 9'11" broad jump
Strength: Foster not measured; Bolden 21 reps @ 225

Again, injuries may have affected either guys numbers.

More than one pre-draft profile had Bolden among the potential candidates as "the next Arian Foster". It's a moon shot, but he has the athleticism and ability to compete for a roster spot at the very least. Like Foster, Bolden was hampered by an injury his last year in college, which may have caused him to drop.

Agility: Foster 7.09 3-cone, 4.53 short shutle; Bolden 6.91 3-cone, 4.34 short shuttle
Exposiveness: Foster 32" vertical, 9'7" broad jump; Bolden 38" vertical, 9'11" broad jump

Wow! Foster ran a 4.69 forty, certainly shows how overrated the 40 is. I think Bolden could make the roster and earn some playing time if he's a good pass catching threat to go along with his running and size, something Woody doesn't have.

Re: Brandon Bolden RB from Ole' Miss Signed

I don't know, from reading through his timeline it doesn't appear to me that an agreement between the Pats and Aiken has been reached.

May 1 12:24 pm The Patriots followers is coming...waiting on that final contract call :)

In response to being asked "you coming to Beantown?" on May 2 9:30 pm on my way! Bruh...soon I hope!

I read that as he's hoping the Patriots will sign him, but nothing definite.

The comment on May 1 1:06 pm where he said Preciate the Love & can't wait to ball w/ Vince & #DoWork was in response to a comment where someone said Thank You for Your Service to Our Country. It would be fitting to have a real Patriot as part of #Patsnation - they're just saying it would be great if he became a Patriot, not that he is a member of the club.

Now on the positive side, on the final day of the draft on April 29 6:39 pm Aiken did say Texans, Giants, Ravens, Patriots my agent tryin to get me this contract....leaning towards the Patriots tho, so it appears that the Patriots are his first choice. It is somewhat odd that six days later no contract has been signed, no deal agreed upon. Maybe the Patriots are attempting to trade someone in order to open up a roster spot? It just don't understand why it would take that long to sign an UDFA, if this is a guy the Pats want.

Looks like the Pats pulled a BJGE. Apparently they must have liked what they got from BJGE because they went right back to Ole Miss looking for more UDFA RB's. :rolleyes:

Wow! Foster ran a 4.69 forty, certainly shows how overrated the 40 is. I think Bolden could make the roster and earn some playing time if he's a good pass catching threat to go along with his running and size, something Woody doesn't have.

Of course, if you want to look at the measurables for big backs with receiving ability, here's Stevan Ridley's: 5' 11 1/4" 225, 4.65 40 (again, that meaningless 40 time), 1.60 10 yard split, 6.78 3-cone, 4.17 short shuttle,, 36 inch vertical, 9'10" broad jump.

He has some nice numbers at the explosiveness measurements!

The think that I like more about him is that he is a good pass catcher! I think that he will be in our 53 in September, better to have him than an oft-injured veteran like Grant or Addai...

I don't know, from reading through his timeline it doesn't appear to me that an agreement between the Pats and Aiken has been reached.

May 1 12:24 pm The Patriots followers is coming...waiting on that final contract call :)

In response to being asked "you coming to Beantown?" on May 2 9:30 pm on my way! Bruh...soon I hope!

I read that as he's hoping the Patriots will sign him, but nothing definite.

The comment on May 1 1:06 pm where he said Preciate the Love & can't wait to ball w/ Vince & #DoWork was in response to a comment where someone said Thank You for Your Service to Our Country. It would be fitting to have a real Patriot as part of #Patsnation - they're just saying it would be great if he became a Patriot, not that he is a member of the club.

Now on the positive side, on the final day of the draft on April 29 6:39 pm Aiken did say Texans, Giants, Ravens, Patriots my agent tryin to get me this contract....leaning towards the Patriots tho, so it appears that the Patriots are his first choice. It is somewhat odd that six days later no contract has been signed, no deal agreed upon. Maybe the Patriots are attempting to trade someone in order to open up a roster spot? It just don't understand why it would take that long to sign an UDFA, if this is a guy the Pats want.

Don't know if there's been any update on Aiken, but I'm surprised that a UDFA NT-type DLman
hasn't signed here yet. A little competition for Love-Deaderick-Brace-Warren would be a good thing.
It's not like any of those 4 are irreplaceable.

Last edited:

Don't know if there's been any update on Aiken, but I'm surprised that a UDFA NT-type DLman
hasn't signed here yet. A little competition for Love-Deaderick-Brace-Warren would be a good thing.
It's not like any of those 4 are irreplaceable.

What about Marcus Forston?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing