PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positions to fill after roster cutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the jets cut bridgewater we would be legit insane to not try and get him.

"Legit insane" is a tad bit strong...

Jacksonville would be nasty with him.
Jags should have gone for Alex Smith if it was possible but, I think Blake’s guaranteed money due to the injury screwed em. Bortles played way above his head, I don’t think they’ll get two great playoff games back to back outta him again. Maybe they could have tried to trade him while his value was highest.

Just as an FYI, Reiss opined this morning that Austin Carr may be on the bubble in NOLA.

Just as an FYI, Reiss opined this morning that Austin Carr may be on the bubble in NOLA.
Hemingway was wrong when he wrote you can't go home again (so was I, it was Thomas Wolfe, Hemingway just sounded better). Come on home Austin, come on home.

Bridgewater would be legit insane to be content sitting behind Brady instead of challenging a more vulnerable starter somewhere else.

Such as?

Seems to me that most of the teams that SHOULD be starting someone else just drafted a guy in the 1st round in 2017 or 2018.

Bridgewater is making decent money ($6M) with the Jete, but the Jete are only on the hooks for $500k if they cut or trade him. A trade seem more likely, in which case Bridgewater doesn't have a say in the matter.

OTOH, his contract is only for 2018. If I'm Bridgewater, I'd be thrilled to be working with BB, McD and Brady for one year, instead of with some schmoes elsewhere.

He'd have to go through waivers, though I imagine he might clear them.

Hemingway was wrong when he wrote you can't go home again (so was I, it was Thomas Wolfe, Hemingway just sounded better). Come on home Austin, come on home.

Is Etling in the mix to make the roster?

I dunno Kaep has played vastly different than how our system is run. His 2016 season low key was pretty solid, I thought somebody could have had a bargain last year.

I don't think Etling really has a chance anymore at this point.

WR, OL, LB and S would all seem like places help is needed. DE depth could be a consideration as well

I think WR, QB, OT, CB, and LB should be the priorities. In that order.

Back up QB
WR
OT (Not sure Cannon will play a full season)

After roster cutdowns (and waivers) not much will be there to improve this roster. BB will have to (and probably will) trade. They have plenty of 2019 draft capital to do that.

The need i see at the moment is punt returning. McCarron didn't show much both at PR or WR, Berrios looked more explosive but might be too much for him at the moment, Patterson practiced only as KR (with one fluke at PR) and Cyrus might not have enough time left. Edelman is out for 4 weeks and i wouldn't like himdoing it (except playoffs) . same goes for Burkhead and Hogan.

Combined with questionable WR situation id look at WR/PR options emphasis on PR.

De'A Thomas is on the bubble in KC, R.Davis should be available from PHI, Raymond from NYG, Green or Mickens from JAX..

If trade is coming for pure WR it should be a bigger one.

i dont think there is a single decent backup qb that's going to be available.

And before someone says it.

Kaepernick isn't a backup. he's not going to come in to hold a clipboard for 2 mil a year.

I just don't understand this. Nobody is giving him a starting job. For him, it's either start or nothing? It's like teams telling Tebow, hey look, you could be a pretty solid TE in this league and have a long career, but Tebow saying, I'm either a QB or nothing. And the league has said, ok, it's nothing then. Same with Kap. You won't play unless you start and make starter's money? Uh, ok, guess you're not playing then.

I don't understand. Every player would rather start. But I'd LOVE to make $2 million to be a backup QB in the NFL. Is Kap's pride such that he can't lower himself to that?

I just don't understand this. Nobody is giving him a starting job. For him, it's either start or nothing? It's like teams telling Tebow, hey look, you could be a pretty solid TE in this league and have a long career, but Tebow saying, I'm either a QB or nothing. And the league has said, ok, it's nothing then. Same with Kap. You won't play unless you start and make starter's money? Uh, ok, guess you're not playing then.

I don't understand. Every player would rather start. But I'd LOVE to make $2 million to be a backup QB in the NFL. Is Kap's pride such that he can't lower himself to that?
He already declined an offer from the Broncos iirc. He'd likely be the backup there, so he probably only has his eyes set on having an opportunity to compete for the starting job.

He already declined an offer from the Broncos iirc. He'd likely be the backup there, so he probably only has his eyes set on having an opportunity to compete for the starting job.
It’s also possible that he simply misjudged the market last spring, and didn’t fully realize that his protests could be seen in such a “pain in the butt” type of light that the entire league could choose to blackball him.

In other words, I don’t believe that he’d turn down backup jobs at the moment.

DE depth could be a consideration as well

?

The Pats have T. Flowers, Wise, Rivers and Clayborn as a seemingly ready-to-go four-man rotation ..... PLUS Davis, who appeared to be a very good developmental candidate playing with the #1s against Philly ..... PLUS Grissom, who's already a well-established special-teamer and may now (finally) be an adequate deep reserve for scrimmage play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back