Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who deserves second team all-decade QB for the 2010s?

• Drew Brees

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Peyton Manning

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Aaron Rodgers

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's the end of the decade, and this has been an interesting question to me for quite some time. There have been numerous all-decade lists dropped by Yahoo, USA Today, Sporting News, NFL.com (seems there was a misunderstanding that it was an official list), The Athletic, Yardbarker, etc., but all of them include first-team only, and Tom Brady is the runaway winner for first-team QB. The official NFL All-Decade team has not yet been released and includes first and second team. Since we had a good thread going on about the Top 100 QBs segment, I thought this would generate some debate.

The first thing I'd like to clarify is I'm not sure if Drew Brees's Super Bowl counts for the 2010s. Wikipedia says that Officially, The NFL 2000s All-Decade Team is composed of outstanding performers in the National Football League in the ten years spanning 20002009. Only a player or coach's performance in the 2000s is used as criteria for voting.

National Football League 2000s All-Decade Team - Wikipedia

Considering that the 2010s team was announced January 31, 2010 (and voting likely took place before that), I'd wager that Brees's Super Bowl (won in February 2010) would count, since it was ineligible for the previous decade's vote. It is just confusing because that postseason was an extension of the 2009 season. So, let's just assume it counts, as voters are likely to count it if there's ambiguity.

Assuming the vote has already likely occurred and will (if it is like last decade) be announced in January, then this year's postseason would not make an impact.

Feel free to cite any comments, stats, accomplishments in the thread and vote in the poll. For one, I'm not good at using profootball-reference to isolate and compare stats (including win/loss record), but I can list some basic accomplishments. I think the top 3 are clearly Brees, Rodgers, and Wilson, though I'm including Manning as well considering if you choose to go with peak play, the argument is not crazy.

Drew Brees
Super Bowl Champion (44)
Super Bowl MVP (44)
2X All-Pro
9X Pro Bowl
Volume stat leader of the 2010s

Peyton Manning
Super Bowl Champion (50)
3X AFC Conference Champion (2009/10, 2013, 2015)
NFL MVP (2014)
2X All-Pro
4X Pro Bowl
Strong consideration for second best QB (behind only Brady) for half the decade

Aaron Rodgers
Super Bowl Champion (45)
Super Bowl MVP (45)
2X NFL MVP
3X All-Pro (no designation between 1st/second team)
7X Pro Bowl
Efficiency stat leader of the 2010s

Russell Wilson
Super Bowl Champion (48)
2X NFC Conference Champion (2012, 2013)
7X Pro-Bowl
Win/Loss efficiency and volume leader of 2010s (besides Brady)

Last edited:
Close call but am going with Brees. Prolific passer who played all 10 years and led team to playoffs 6 times. I like Wilson but he did not play until 2012 and was carried by his defense and running game first half of decade. Have Rodgers in 3rd as his star dimmed significantly last few years.

To date, Manning has more super bowls this decade, so the choice is easy for me

Jimmy Garrapollo... 2 titles, 100+ rating, 22-4 record as starter

QBs of the 2010's, if you can't adjust for this playoff season (Meaning the 2010 season playoffs count for this decade)?

1. Brady
  2. P. Manning
  3. Wilson
  4. Roethlisberger

The rest can fight for 5th.

Manning only played 5 years in the decade. Had an absolutely dominant 2013 season but was a walking corpse his last year and a half and was carried to the 2015 title by the defense.

QBs of the 2010's, if you can't adjust for this playoff season (Meaning the 2010 season playoffs count for this decade)?

1. Brady
  2. P. Manning
  3. Wilson
  4. Roethlisberger

The rest can fight for 5th.

Still don’t understand what you see in Roethlisberger to rank him over Brees. I can understand ranking him over Rodgers (though like Rodgers he is considered self centered and generally a d-bag teammate.). I would rank Brees and Ryan over Roethlisberger, even despite my distaste for domes.

Roethlisberger had five postseason wins this decade. Considering his strength is in winning since he doesn’t compare with stats and awards, I’m trying to understand this viewpoint.

Manning only played 5 years in the decade. Had an absolutely dominant 2013 season but was a walking corpse his last year and a half and was carried to the 2015 title by the defense.

He does have three conference championships, three all-pros and 2 NFL MVPs if he gets credit for 2010 calendar year feats like Brees. He racked up more accolades in the 2010s than anyone besides Brady, in half the decade. Of course he is missing the volume stats.

Makes for an interesting debate. Wonder if he really has a chance at the 2010s team. Seems like most of the Reddit threads have this as Rodgers vs. Brees. I think Wilson absolutely belongs in the discussion, and Manning should not be dismissed. Would be pretty funny if Manning makes it while Luck has already bowed out of the sport. Also makes me wonder if Ryan is in serious discussion if they’d sealed the deal...talk about a legacy killer.

Manning has no place on a list spanning 10 years when he only actively played in 4.5 of them (in 2015 being even benched for Osweiler at times).

The rest is purely personal choice because none of them have really distinguished themselves in any way over the other.

Has to be Aaron Rodgers, no? Two MVPs/AP All-Pros, one Super Bowl, consistently rated as a top 3 QB (it's always Brady, Rodgers, Brees) up until the past two years, and his 2011 season is ranked as one of the greatest QB seasons in NFL history.

Peyton Manning fell off hard after 2014 and was benched by Osweiler for a few games, and retired at the end of 2015.

Russell Wilson only started to turn it up after 2014, and never had a peak season comparable to Rodgers' 2011.

Roethlisberger has never been a top 5 QB. He has always been in the second tier of QBs with Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo, etc.

Drew Brees put up massive stats consistently but has never been definitively the best QB in the NFL once in the 2010s, whereas you have to admit that Rodgers was the best in 2011. In addition, the Saints were not always the best team, whereas you know that Rodgers' Packers will most likely be in the Playoffs one way or another.
  1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Drew Brees
  3. Peyton Manning
  4. Russell Wilson
  5. Ben Roethlisberger

Still don’t understand what you see in Roethlisberger to rank him over Brees. I can understand ranking him over Rodgers (though like Rodgers he is considered self centered and generally a d-bag teammate.). I would rank Brees and Ryan over Roethlisberger, even despite my distaste for domes.

Roethlisberger had five postseason wins this decade. Considering his strength is in winning since he doesn’t compare with stats and awards, I’m trying to understand this viewpoint.

Roethlisberger:
  1. Took his team to the SB
  2. 6 double digit win seasons out of 9 (injured this year)
  3. 6 playoff appearances
  4. 5-6 playoff record
  5. 0 losing seasons
  6. 84-45-1 record (winning percentage of .646)
  7. 95.1 QB rating

Brees:

No Super Bowl appearances
6 double digit win seasons out of 10
5 playoff appearances
4-5 playoff record
4 losing seasons
95-58-0 record (winning percentage of .621)
102.9 QB rating

The only place where Brees stands taller than Roethlisberger is in QB rating. And, as you noted, Brees has the dome advantage when it comes to that.

Wilson. He has made that franchise competitive since his arrival. He’s consistent and underrated.

If Brady moves on - he’s the guy I’d want for NE (yes, I know he’s not coming, I mean “if I could pick and choose”).

Drew Brees' SB doesn't qualify for this decade it was part of the 09 season.

Anyways.... it's obviously Rodgers.

1. Super Bowl win. That ties him with everyone not named Brady.
2. 2MVP's, that equals Brady this decade.
3. Set the passer rating single season record and had the best passer rating of the decade.
4. His team conistently made the playoffs all decade and he went on multiple runs reaching the NFCCG.

Peyton didn't play long enough at a high level (he was done midway through 2014 so he didn't even get half the decade of a good play) and Brees had too many years where he was a nonfactor.

It's easily Rodgers. Any other answer is recency bias for Brees

Roethlisberger:
  3. 6 playoff appearances
  4. 5-6 playoff record
  5. 0 losing seasons
  7. 95.1 QB rating

Brees:

5 playoff appearances
4-5 playoff record
4 losing seasons
102.9 QB rating

The only place where Brees stands taller than Roethlisberger is in QB rating. And, as you noted, Brees has the dome advantage when it comes to that.

Do you think Brees’s 2010 Super Bowl (from 2009 season) should count? Here is what I wrote (with a few clarification) about that and why I think it does count:

@lancerman this is in response to y0u as well.

——-

The first thing I'd like to clarify is I'm not sure if Drew Brees's Super Bowl counts for the 2010s. Wikipedia says: Officially, The NFL 2000s All-Decade Team is composed of outstanding performers in the National Football League in the ten years spanning 20002009. Only a player or coach's performance in the 2000s is used as criteria for voting.

National Football League 2000s All-Decade Team - Wikipedia

Considering that the 2010s team was announced January 31, 2010 (and voting likely took place before that), I'd wager that Brees's Super Bowl (won in February 2010) would count (for 2010s), since it was ineligible for the previous decade's vote (2000s). It is just confusing because that postseason was an extension of the 2009 season. So, let's just assume it counts, as voters are likely to count it if there's ambiguity.

Assuming the vote has already likely occurred and will (if it is like last decade) be announced in January, then this year's postseason would not make an impact...this is another reason why Brees’s 2009-10 SB would count for the 2010s decade, just like the SB winner this year would count for the 2020s.

Give it to Brees, maybe saints fan will stop crying about the injustice in this world.

Roethlisberger:
  3. 6 playoff appearances
  4. 5-6 playoff record
  5. 0 losing seasons
  7. 95.1 QB rating

Brees:

5 playoff appearances
4-5 playoff record
4 losing seasons
102.9 QB rating

The only place where Brees stands taller than Roethlisberger is in QB rating. And, as you noted, Brees has the dome advantage when it comes to that. You'd have actually had a better argument with Rodgers, as I may have underrated his decade. It may be Rodgers at 4 and Roethlisberger at 5.

Do you think Brees’s 2010 Super Bowl (from 2009 season) should count? Here is what I wrote (with a few clarification) about that and why I think it does count:

No

I think this year's playoffs should count, but they weren't allowed for purposes of the discussion.

Well anyway, Super Bowl or no Super Bowl for Brees, I don’t have him as my second team QB.

1. Wilson
2. Brees
3. Manning
4. Rodgers
5. Roethlisberger
6. Ryan

Wilson has made up a lot of ground. I had a similar poll to this a few years ago and didn’t even consider him. @Deus Irae had Wilson pegged as the best of the bunch for a while now. Last few years shows he is a consistent winner who can carry the team team on his back and will victories better than anyone except Brady and regular season Manning.

If this is about who WILL win, it will probably be the stat darling Aaron Rodgers.

I want to thank Ice Ice Brady for making me re-visit my rankings, though not for the reason he was arguing (Brees over Roethlisberger). Having looked at the time frame again, I have made a change on my list, moving Rodgers ahead of Roethlisberger.

1. Brady
  2. P. Manning
  3. Wilson
  4. Rodgers
  5. Roethlisberger

Not having the 2009 season's SB run for Brees (which has no business in a 2010-2019 decade, though it's possible that it gets used by others), and not having the 2019 playoffs (where Roethlisberger is on the sidelines and Brees/Wilson/Rodgers can improve their standing) is an unfortunate result of the "rule" set out in the OP. Having those involved may have changed my standings, but I'm trying to go by both common sense (2009 season is not part of the 2010s) and the "rules":

Assuming the vote has already likely occurred and will (if it is like last decade) be announced in January, then this year's postseason would not make an impact.

It makes for an oddity in which 10 seasons are available, but only 9 playoff runs are there.

I want to thank Ice Ice Brady for making me re-visit my rankings, though not for the reason he was arguing (Brees over Roethlisberger). Having looked at the time frame again, I have made a change on my list, moving Rodgers ahead of Roethlisberger.

1. Brady
  2. P. Manning
  3. Wilson
  4. Rodgers
  5. Roethlisberger

Not having the 2009 season's SB run for Brees (which has no business in a 2010-2019 decade, though it's possible that it gets used by others), and not having the 2019 playoffs (where Roethlisberger is on the sidelines and Brees/Wilson/Rodgers can improve their standing) is an unfortunate result of the "rule" set out in the OP. Having those involved may have changed my standings, but I'm trying to go by both common sense (2009 season is not part of the 2010s) and the "rules":

It makes for an oddity in which 10 seasons are available, but only 9 playoff runs are there.

I'm basing this on how I believe the actual all-decade team voters are using for a defined time period. Again, this is because the last all-decade team was announced prior to Super Bowl 44, so Brees's Super Bowl win did not count for 2000-2009. The voting took place before that game and presumably before any 2010 postseason events.

I believe if this is the case than the 2010 postseason would not disappear but counts for the 2010s decade, despite that the 2010 postseason is an extension of the 2009 season. A stupid way to do it? Absolutely. But I think that is how they defined the time periods, with the literal calendar years and not season-by-season.

I'm not completely stuck on using this same criteria as the official NFL voters; I was just looking to establish consistency. Perhaps a different timeframe should be used considering the problem with breaking up the 2009/10 and 2019/20 regular seasons and postseasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down