PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: Which Draft Pick Would You Trade for OJ Howard?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Pats trade what draft pick for OJ Howard

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One interesting aspect of OJ Howard...last year his catch percentage was 71. For perspective...Jules was 69 and Gronk was 65. So far this year OJ is 72%.

06c0c249dc711ddeb85ff3e7d4c3c001.png

One of the thirds. Maybe an add-on late rounder. No one should be talking about parting with a first round pick.

Middle nut.

I'd be willing to give up a first. Actually, I don't know. I haven't studied his game nearly enough to say that. Perhaps, a better way of saying it is I'd be perfectly fine if Belichick is willing to trade away a first round pick.

Two years ago, many analysts were linking him to the Patriots as a potential first round pick. After his combine performance, he was out of our reach. The Patriots value the position and he is supposed to be a two way threat. He was ranked as the best run blocking tight end coming out of college. While he didn't put up a lot of receiving stats, he was seen to have a lot of potential there. He's 6'6"', 250+, runs close to a 4.5 40', under a 7 second 3 cone, and has impressed with his jumping numbers and bench press. He's a physical freak.

His numbers thus far aren't impressive, but pff ranked him as the # 2 tight end last year and Arians doesn't traditionally use tight ends much in the passing game. Belichick does. Belichick will have good info on the guy from Saban. Two way tight ends have always been key parts to our offense. Coates, Watson, Gronk, others, have been very important parts of our offense. Brady has always had a knack for the end zone touch pass over the heads of defenders to tall tight ends. We could use a guy like that to improve our red zone offense.

Fact is the guy has first round talent. He's under contract for reasonable money next season and we would have his rights as a RFA in 2021. We'd only be giving up a very late first for someone that could be a difference maker now. He plays a position that our team normally values and we don't have much talent at the position now, nor anyone who has future potential. We would have to address the position soon anyway. Let's do it now and give this year's team a better chance.
That was a ton of words after your "Actually I don't know." :)

One of the thirds. Maybe an add-on late rounder. No one should be talking about parting with a first round pick.

Maybe, you're right, but we're not getting him for a third. We just gave up a second for thirty year old Sanu. Howard is 24, was the 18th overall pick two years ago, and is a dual threat TE. He'll help in both the passing game and running game.

PFF grades O.J. Howard as second-best tight end in ‘18

Why will the Bucs give him away though? That is the part I don't get. Are the Bucs crazy? What am I missing?

Maybe, you're right, but we're not getting him for a third. We just gave up a second for thirty year old Sanu. Howard is 24, was the 18th overall pick two years ago, and is a dual threat TE. He'll help in both the passing game and running game.

That's the thing...he may not be worth a 1st...but were not getting him for anything less. Would a 1st round pick help us win our 7th Super Bowl? Probably.

Why will the Bucs give him away though? That is the part I don't get. Are the Bucs crazy? What am I missing?

They're not using him much as a receiver. From what I've read, Arians doesn't usually use tight ends much in the receiving game. Plus, they're a long way from being a playoff team.

All of them. Whatever we gotta do. If they can sign that crazy guy AB, they can trade a 1st for a tight end.

That's the thing...he may not be worth a 1st...but were not getting him for anything less. Would a 1st round pick help us win our 7th Super Bowl? Probably.

So, you guys are good with giving up a first round pick for a guy who’s relatively cheap for another 1.5 years, then the expensive 5th year option? I don’t know. It just doesn’t seem like great value, even if Howard exceeds what he’s been up to this point.

Exactly. In a vacuum, maybe he's not worth a first, but maybe he is to us. Our window with Brady is closing and I want number 7.

A mid rounder. I’m sorry but his stats show that he isn’t at that elite level receiving wise. Now yes it most definitely could be the offense he’s in but the facts remain he’s catching around 30 passes a year. So for his blocking and 1.5 years of team control I’d be comfortable offering a 4th.

Exactly. In a vacuum, maybe he's not worth a first, but maybe he is to us. Our window with Brady is closing and I want number 7.
I just think that Belichick should stick to his usual system, that’s all. First round picks should only be traded for elite players. Giving up a second for Sanu is one thing, but I doubt that Belichick is going to go into the draft without a first or second.

I just think that Belichick should stick to his usual system, that’s all. First round picks should only be traded for elite players. Giving up a second for Sanu is one thing, but I doubt that Belichick is going to go into the draft without a first or second.

But we don't get players with Howard's pedigree at the end of the first round. He's only 24 and has his best years still ahead of him. Our red zone offense sucks and Brady is great at throwing touch passes over the heads of defenders in the end zone to tight ends. Howard is 6'6" and might be great at that. He should also help with our running game as a blocker.

He's not available.

Still takes two to trade.

But we don't get players with Howard's pedigree at the end of the first round. He's only 24 and has his best years still ahead of him. Our red zone offense sucks and Brady is great at throwing touch passes over the heads of defenders in the end zone to tight ends. Howard is 6'6" and might be great at that. He should also help with our running game as a blocker.
I hear your argument, no doubt. I’m not meaning to suggest that I think that your opinion is wrong, only that I don’t view Howard as the type of elite talent that a team like NE normally gives up a first rounder for.

If Bill thinks that it’s a good idea and trades our first, I won’t complain, but I’ll be concerned about what it means for the future of the team, especially with the dark cloud of Brady’s sooner-than-later departure hanging over the team.

I hear your argument, no doubt. I’m not meaning to suggest that I think that your opinion is wrong, only that I don’t view Howard as the type of elite talent that a team like NE normally gives up a first rounder for.

If Bill thinks that it’s a good idea and trades our first, I won’t complain, but I’ll be concerned about what it means for the future of the team, especially with the dark cloud of Brady’s sooner-than-later departure hanging over the team.

I see Brady's inevitable departure differently. That's 20+ million coming off the books. I suspect we'll go with Stidham or another QB on a rookie/cheap deal. That means we can spend more on other positions and use future cap space now. Let's get the rings while we can.

I see Brady's inevitable departure differently. That's 20+ million coming off the books. I suspect we'll go with Stidham or another QB on a rookie/cheap deal. That means we can spend more on other positions and use future cap space now. Let's get the rings while we can.
I’m all for building the best team around Brady as they usually do, and even overpaying to some extent to do so (Sanu for a second rounder), but I think first round picks are precious when you’re setting up for the future without your 20 year QB.

As far as Stidham goes, I’m not as sure. We may need to use a high pick on the position again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes