Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the Patriots showcase banners for AFC Championships?

• Yes - turn it up to 11, an AFC Championship is a remarkable, banner-worthy achievement

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • No - it's Super Bowl or bust, and this lowers the standard of excellence and cheapens the real ones

Votes: 99 64.3%
  • Ray Lewis caused a human being's biological life-cycle to cease

Votes: 35 22.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B and C are both true. Tough to pick just one.

I remember looking up at the ceiling of the old Boston Garden and seeing all of those Bruins "Division Champion" and "Conference Champion" banners and thinking, "I guess when you're trying to match the Celtics for the number of banners hung up there, you do what you gotta do".
BosGarden.jpg

I was very happy when they condensed all of those Division/Conference/Presidents banners down to 6 banners.
bruinsrafters.jpg
Thankfully, they removed those things. It made them look jealous and petty, which they were.

I wouldn’t mind a AFC championship blanket.

It would be kind of silly to go back and add them now. If the Pats has been putting them up since super bowl 20, then sure, but don’t just start now. They have all of the trophies in the hall, that’s enough.

I remember when the Saints won in 2009 and they put up a conference and a Super Bowl banner next to each other and I thought “that’s redeundant, you can’t win the super bowl without the conferences. You don’t need 2.”

Runner-up banners are for losers.

1) Ray Lewis killed 2 guys. We should never forget that.

2) I...don't really have a strong opinion either way on this. I don't think they should be displayed in the stadium, necessarily. Maybe outside the stadium where the visiting team buses pull up? Just another level of mystique to add to the place. And it shouldn't be one banner. It should be all of them, 85, 96 different logos, whatever.

Again, not trying to be a the Colts here, but putting things in perspective:

A Spanish Soccer team like Real Madrid has a chance to win their league, which is basically just regular season standings. Then there are two major national tournament cups and the Champion’s league, which is more like the Super Bowl.

Winning the AFC and celebrating it isn’t equivalent to a participation trophy. Most record books actually list the most successful teams as those with the most appearances. You get a Lamar Hunt trophy and AFC Championship ring.

A Spanish Soccer team like Real Madrid has a chance to win their league, which is basically just regular season standings. Then there are two major national tournament cups and the Champion’s league, which is more like the Super Bowl.

I get what you are trying to say but this isn't necessarily true. Winning a domestic league in soccer is a big achievement, not comparable to having the best regular season record in football.

Honestly instead of conference championship banners I’d rather maybe a Super Bowl Wall showing a display of Portraits of all the Super Bowl matchups we’ve been in.

1985: Patriots vs Bears
1996: Patriots vs Packers
2001: Patriots vs Rams
2003: Patriots vs Panthers
2004: Patriots vs Eagles
2007: Patriots vs Giants
2011: Patriots vs Giants
2014: Patriots vs Seahawks
2016: Patriots vs Falcons
2017: Patriots vs Eagles
2018: Patriots vs Rams

Then under it have a banner that says “NFL Record most Super Bowl Appearsnces and/or first team to 10 Super Bowls”.
Does Green Bay display all their NFL titles?

B and C are both true. Tough to pick just one.
This. But I went B. Hated the “undefeated reg season”. Why stress the losing ? There is first place and there’s F-all.

How about ONE banner pointing out the 11 AFCC wins, and you simply change the banner when another occurs? Put it on the opposite side of the stadium from the SB banners, and you solve the space issue.
Good idea.

Baseball is different. The four pennants the Sox won during the curse are treasured.

And the seasons when the Celts and Bruins made the final are all special.

That said, Kraft will die before he ever honors the greatest Patriots team ever, Bradyless: 1976

I believe he gave away his supposed season tickets so he could form the Lobsters or something.

The Patriots live on Olympus now. Celebrating also-ran seasons, as great as those achievements were, has no place there.

One more and you can say the same thing about Brady's fingers :)

(previous post confirms players have AFC Championship rings when they lose in SB.)
The problem is 1985.

Kraft will never do anything to acknowledge let alone honor any of the many achievements prior to his purchase.

The problem is 1985.

Kraft will never do anything to acknowledge let alone honor any of the many achievements prior to his purchase.
That's because there weren't any.

Only sb banners, but I wouldn't mind putting up all of the division/afc champ banners up when the Colts come to our turf for lols.

Only sb banners, but I wouldn't mind putting up all of the division/afc champ banners up when the Colts come to our turf for lols.

When the Colts come, break out the 2002 and 2008 Divisional Best Record (t) banners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes