PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Marcus Jones -- how is he best used?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where should Marcus Jones' talents be applied?

• Defensive back and PR/KR

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Slot receiver and PR/KR

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Utility man: PR/KR plus as needed on both sides of the ball

Votes: 31 50.0%

• Total voters
I've been having the same thoughts, thanks for articulating this. Again, it would seem to depend on whether Jones can hone instincts for route running -- he has elite speed/quickness plus good hands. The Pats were spoiled for years at slot WR with Welker and Edelman and nobody has totally fit the bill since. While Meyers is a good middle-of-field possession guy, he really isn't what you'd call a "natural" at slot receiver, just not fast/quick enough. And as you point out, Jones' DB potential is pretty situationally specific.
@Toofy perfect, perfect post!!

Patriots fans on the forum please hear me out.. Marcus Jones is a player that's special and has elite speed. We are devoid of speed outside of Thornton on offense. He needs to have the ball in his hands as much as possible.. he's better utilized on offense. BB when asked during the season about MJ on offense stated he'd love too ,but was too much to ask of him with all his other duties.

Thankfully we have a competent, accomplished offensive mind in BOB that will maximize MJs skill set.

Swiss Army knife. Punt returns, slot DB, slot receiver, outside receiver. Heck, even QB in the wildcat if O’Brien wants to get creative.

One thing is for sure, he’s electric.

If he were 6’2” instead of 5’8”, he’d have been an early first round pick.

@rochrist you "ugh" my post... Tell me, when you dud that, do you realize they have the number 1 overall pick?
Because it was a ludicrous suggestion. There isn't the slightest chance in hell the Bears would do that so why post it? Really there should be a better icon for that, not so much ugh as 'that's silly'.

Because it was a ludicrous suggestion. There isn't the slightest chance in hell the Bears would do that so why post it? Really there should be a better icon for that, not so much ugh as 'that's silly'.
Why post it? because its harmless fun? That stuff should be verboten because some people (ie you) can't discern or don't like tongue & cheek humor?

You need to lighten up a bit man...

Swiss Army knife. Punt returns, slot DB, slot receiver, outside receiver. Heck, even QB in the wildcat if O’Brien wants to get creative.

One thing is for sure, he’s electric.

If he were 6’2” instead of 5’8”, he’d have been an early first round pick.
Absolutely he would have, he reminds me of dion Lewis with his speed and size.. DB if needed. But I'd love it if he focused solely on offense and KR/PR

I love the idea of Jones as the next slot receiver in the Brown/Welker/Edelman realm, I think the answer to the original question can’t be answered until after free agency and the draft.

IF the Pats lose Meyers (which I think happens), and replace him via free agency and/or the draft, then of course that limits the touches Jones will have on offense. Also, if they lose Jonathan Jones in FA, then that dictates how much Marcus Jones is needed on the defensive side. The draft also affects that too, as I consider Marcus Jones a perfect slot CB, not an outside CB.

Marcus Jones also has an injury history, so you don’t want to overwhelm him and lose his explosiveness to over playing him. Really is a catch 22

That being said, I think it’s impossible to predict how much Marcus Jones will be used on offense, until we see what the Pats do in FA, the draft, and possibly trades.

I love the idea of Jones as the next slot receiver in the Brown/Welker/Edelman realm, I think the answer to the original question can’t be answered until after free agency and the draft.

IF the Pats lose Meyers (which I think happens), and replace him via free agency and/or the draft, then of course that limits the touches Jones will have on offense. Also, if they lose Jonathan Jones in FA, then that dictates how much Marcus Jones is needed on the defensive side. The draft also affects that too, as I consider Marcus Jones a perfect slot CB, not an outside CB.

Marcus Jones also has an injury history, so you don’t want to overwhelm him and lose his explosiveness to over playing him. Really is a catch 22

That being said, I think it’s impossible to predict how much Marcus Jones will be used on offense, until we see what the Pats do in FA, the draft, and possibly trades.
Great points, MJ will have to if he does end up playing on offense full-time.. invest in the play book for slot WR with I'm sure he is.

I feel like alot of concern and questions are already on the roster. We just need to sign to FA that will actually help us.

The 2 main position of 3rd down back and slot WR in my opinion could end up being MJ and Pierre strong Jr.

Ty Montgomery is also still under contract as well. On the outside I believe Tyquan Thornton will be one of the threats.. regardless when he's out there his speed will have to be respected.

You are also right on MJ as far as defense being a slot CB he's too undersized to be on the outside.. reminds me of ellis Hobbs on Plaxico Burress.

I believe Myers leaves and Jonathan Jones stays!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back