PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Hoyer or Brissett backing up Brady for 3 years?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Hoyer or Brissett

• Hoyer

Votes: 40 66.7%
  • Brissett

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
If we had kept Brissett he would have just been Brady's back up for the remainder of his contract 3 years. Hoyer is on a three year deal to do the same. GOATrapollo would have been gone no matter what unless Brady fell off the cliff.

So, is there a huge difference in terms of Brady's back up now? WHich do you prefer?

Not sure how Hoyer will look in a couple years but I would have more confidence right now in him subbing for a few series if Brady got dinged up or for a game or 2. They would still run the same system. If Brady were to go down for the year the Pats would be toast either way.

I'll take Hoyer's quicker release but Jacoby's arm. Since that can't happen I'll take Hoyer as he fits the system better and can transition into most of the same plays run by TB12 (in the event of a tragedy that would require him to play in meaningful minutes).

Generally when you trade a guy that means you don't want him. Unless they sign an upgrade in the offseason. Hoyer is a placeholder for whatever QB(s) they draft next April. So he will likely be here through the end of next year at least.

You're not going to become a poll addict again are you?

This strikes me as a false choice -- neither QB was going to be Mr. Right for 2019. So I vote for a write-in option #3: Hoyer as Mr. Right Now, and draft a new youngster to train up behind him next year.

My armchair eyeball rating of Brady's BU QBs of the future the last ten years or so.

Garropolo
Cassel
Hoyer
Brissett
Mallett

- leaving out Flutie, O'Connell, Tebow, etc. since nobody ever saw them as potential starters here.

This is just based off what I saw of them while here, not based off career stats. Hoyer and Cassel was a toss up because while he got the big contact from playing I never thought Cassel was that good even when taking the 16-0 team to 11-5. I think Hoyer could have done the same in that situation and Garropolo probably a bit better.

Brissett was okay but nothing about his time here showed me anything special and Mallett always stunk.

Speaking of which, is there an update on the "Achilles" injury that kept TB12 out of Practice yesterday?

My armchair eyeball rating of Brady's BU QBs of the future the last ten years or so.

Garropolo
Cassel
Hoyer
Brissett
Mallett

- leaving out Flutie, O'Connell, Tebow, etc. since nobody ever saw them as potential starters here.

This is just based off what I saw of them while here, not based off career stats. Hoyer and Cassel was a toss up because while he got the big contact from playing I never thought Cassel was that good even when taking the 16-0 team to 11-5. I think Hoyer could have done the same in that situation and Garropolo probably a bit better.

Brissett was okay but nothing about his time here showed me anything special and Mallett always stunk.

Cassel actually had an nfl arm

Hoyer has the weakest arm in the nfl. He’s probably the most boring qb to watch in the nfl he has such limited physical tools

Cassel actually had an nfl arm

Hoyer has the weakest arm in the nfl. He’s probably the most boring qb to watch in the nfl he has such limited physical tools

He might not have a rocket, but that's an accurate, NFL throw. You've gone out of your way to bash Hoyer in multiple threads. It's getting old.

It is (Hoyer + Dorsett) vs. Brissett, and for me it depends on what we get from Dorsett.

I'd like to see what he does after a full training camp in our O before discounting him as a bust.

He might not have a rocket, but that's an accurate, NFL throw. You've gone out of your way to bash Hoyer in multiple threads. It's getting old.

Well i sont umdertsand when posters try to make Hoyer out to be more than he is. He’s a decent backup QB, nothing more. If he becomes a starting qb it means your team is in deep trouble. Let’s hope Hoyer never sees the field in New England other than to kneel it with 2 min left in the game

I stand by my assessment on hoyers arm. Nowhere near good enough for a starting qb. And Matt Cassel certainly was a lot more talented than Hoyer

If we had kept Brissett he would have just been Brady's back up for the remainder of his contract 3 years. Hoyer is on a three year deal to do the same. GOATrapollo would have been gone no matter what unless Brady fell off the cliff.

So, is there a huge difference in terms of Brady's back up now? WHich do you prefer?

I voted Hoyer but, with respect, this premise is flawed in several areas. NEP cut bait on Brissett after year one, probably because they thought he wasn’t that good, meaning that he would probably not have been the primary backup to Brady ever, the more so because they wanted JG for that role (otherwise they would have simply traded JG). JB is basically a failed deep developmental prospect who despite a solid QB rating http://www.nfl.com/player/jacobybrissett/2555261/profile seems to take too many sacks. Meanwhile, Hoyer might get cut after this year, and will most likely be gone after next year Brian Hoyer since he escalates in year three. He’s a traditional backup who knows this system and will cover backup QB this year as he has already done for several years, as well as next year if they don’t find a worthy successor.

JB was not thought to be worth keeping around even as a cheap 3rd QB, while BH, an experienced and competent backup, may fill the backup role for two years. So these players have vastly different talent and experience levels, are intended to fill different roles, and have different contracts (no escalator for JB means he would be cheap all four years of his deal). This comparison is faulty.

Good post. Hoyer could've ended up being a savior in Cleveland or Chicago had he stayed healthy. He also played well in San Francisco considering the supporting cast. Don't know why he didn't have better luck in Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back