Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which four mortal Patriots belong on the 2010s Mount Rushmore?

• Patrick Chung

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Julian Edelman

Votes: 63 96.9%
  • Rob Gronkowski

Votes: 63 96.9%
  • Stephen Gostkowski

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Dont'a Hightower

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • Devin McCourty

Votes: 46 70.8%
  • Matthew Slater

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • James White

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Vince Wilfork

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Other (see OP for lots of choices - specify in your post)

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelman, Gronkowski, DT, ..... Slater.

Edelman, Gronk, McCourty, Hightower for me. Honorable mentions to Butler and Chung. Flowers misses out only because he wasn't contributing for the first half of the decade, still probably next on my list.

Jules
Gronk
Tom
Slater

The pats have primarily been an offensive team so they get two spots, Gronkowski and Eldeman being the obvious choices though leaving white and cannon off kinda sucks. Defense gets one spot and both High and McCourty got serious consideration. I went Devin as he has been a team captain more often and the amount of frustrating deep passes the pats have given up since he moved to FS have dropped off a cliff. Rule #1 of a Belichick defense no big plays. Normally I wouldn’t give special teams a spot but Slater is so much more then just a gunner. Team captain and the heart and soul of what makes a player playing the patriot way. He has to be up there even though it means leaving some very deserving players like High, Chung, Flowers, and Solder off.

Good poll. I love a Mount Rushmore conversation. Concept invented by Bill Simmons I believe.

I also contend that the Mount Rushmore of American sports history is now Ruth, Ali, Jordan, and Brady.

Who did not vote for Gronk and Edelman?

Good poll. I love a Mount Rushmore conversation. Concept invented by Bill Simmons I believe.

I also contend that the Mount Rushmore of American sports history is now Ruth, Ali, Jordan, and Brady.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the Mount Rushmore of QBs, as there will be 4 QB slots for 100th anniversary team. I’ve been studying up a lot on older eras and quarterbacks accomplishments, including stats relative to era. Here is what I have:

Tom Brady
Otto Graham
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas / Bart Starr

Can’t decide which one between Unitas and Starr, as it is so close; contrary to popular opinion, Starr had great stats for his era and wasn’t just carried by his team. Unitas transformed the position, but Earl Morrall won an MVP coming in as his backup for a year (so Unitas also has a very talented cast around him.)

You almost need to have Unitas on the list, but there’s no way that Brady, Montana, or Graham can get bumped, and Starr is pretty much deserving in every way. Starr was a lot like Brady, very clutch and someone who always came through with the game on the line. Graham is the only QB who you can truly argue GOAT over Brady if you count his AAFL years, roughly half his career. His dominance approaches Ruthian levels, but it’s pre-expansion era without multiple elimination games to win a championship.

If the voters put Manning on, it will be a travesty. Historically, he’s a 10-15 all-time QB who won MVP more times than he should have. It’s funny reading about these quarterbacks...many of them called their own plays. Manning was truly a media created illusion. I’m 1000% convinced that there’s at least 20 QBs throughout history that would consistently outperform him in elimination games. He wasn’t even “the smartest” QB of his era.

Last edited:
Very surprised by the lack of votes for Wilfork.

Johnny U is what Brady would have been without the last 3 titles- early success that petered out. Unitas was a great QB. Bart Starr was a champion.

Jules, Gronk, HT, and Vince.

Very tough choice to leave out McCourty and Slater given their evident leadership and versatility, but HT made game saving plays in 2 Super Bowls and Vince to me was the key player on the whole defense for about 8 years (and I will admit I have always been kind of biased in favor of D lineman going back to my early days following football).

Johnny U is what Brady would have been without the last 3 titles- early success that petered out. Unitas was a great QB. Bart Starr was a champion.

I’m leaning more and more towards that conclusion. The 75th Anniversary team has Montana, Unitas, Graham, and Baugh. Can’t believe no Starr.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the amount Rushmore of QBs, as there will be 4 QB slots for 100th anniversary team. I’ve been studying up a lot on older eras and quarterbacks accomplishments, including stats relative to era. Here is what I have:

Tom Brady
Otto Graham
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas / Bart Starr

Can’t decide which one between Unitas and Starr, as it is so close; contrary to popular opinion, Starr had great stats for his era and wasn’t just carried by his team. Unitas transformed the position, but Earl Morrall won an MVP coming in as his backup for a year (so Unitas also has a very talented cast around him.)

You almost need to have Unitas on the list, but there’s no way that Brady, Montana, or Graham can get bumped, and Starr is pretty much deserving in every way. Starr was a lot like Brady, very clutch and someone who always came through with the game on the line. Graham is the only QB who you can truly argue GOAT over Brady if you count his AAFL years, roughly half his career. His dominance approaches Ruthian levels, but it’s pre-expansion era without multiple elimination games to win a championship.

If the voters put Manning on, it will be a travesty. Historically, he’s a 10-15 all-time QB who won MVP more times than he should have. It’s funny reading about these quarterbacks...many of them called their own plays. Manning was truly a media created illusion. I’m 1000% convinced that there’s at least 20 QBs throughout history that would consistently outperform him in elimination games. He wasn’t even “the smartest” QB of his era.

Another good one. I agree the fourth slot after Graham, Brady and Montana is the hardest. I don’t know enough about those guys to have a definitive opinion.

Manning would be on the Regular Season Mount Rushmore without a doubt!

Another good one. I agree the fourth slot after Graham, Brady and Montana is the hardest. I don’t know enough about those guys to have a definitive opinion.

Manning would be on the Regular Season Mount Rushmore without a doubt!

Lol...that is funny.

In reality, though, he is really overrated as a regular season QB too. You look at his supporting cast and high INT rate for his era compared to his elite competitors, extremely weak division, most of his career played in dome and warm weather. Maybe top 5-10 regular season QB all-time. Brady, Montana, Graham, Unitas, and Starr were just flat out better than the phony audible calling drama queen. Even post-2000, is he really clearly better than Brees or Rodgers?

Lol...that is funny.

In reality, though, he is really overrated as a regular season QB too. You look at his supporting cast and high INT rate for his era compared to his elite competitors, extremely weak division, most of his career played in dome and warm weather. Maybe top 5-10 regular season QB all-time. Brady, Montana, Graham, Unitas, and Starr were just flat out better than the phony audible calling drama queen. Even post-2000, is he really clearly better than Brees or Rodgers?

Right, but I think that’s the whole point. He was a great regular season QB for the reasons you say, weak division etc. His success in the regular season is the reason he’s so overrated, but regardless he was really good until the playoffs. His teams had 12+ wins most of the time and he set the regular season TD passing record twice (both times he was humiliated in the postseason).

I don’t think Brees and Rodgers are even close to what Pink Head accomplished in the regular season (ETA especially given how many times they have each missed the playoffs).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey