PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoffs???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as it turns out, it was.

hi-res-898af5bc99d900ca85b3aa9e2a3dc903_crop_north.jpg

Favre cost us the playoffs in 2002 too losing to the jets.
Not exactly. Pats s*** the bed against the Jets at home week 16 which would've clinched the division title. I still have those images of the D unable to stop Pennington from dropping deep bombs on them. Brady got outplayed big time by Pennington and Bill got outcoached by Herman Edwards. Curtis Martin looked ineffective all game long, yet somehow finished with just over 100 yards. It was one of the most bizarre games I've watched and was a massive upset.

Last edited:
And as it turns out, it was.
I get what you're saying, but my point was that the season was certainly NOT over this year at 2-3. They could very easily had the top wild card spot just by making a few plays differently at the end of a couple games. Obviously it did not go that way, but we did not know that at 2-3. Just one single win more than they have now would put them in the drivers' seat for grabbing the last wild card spot. No one was sitting there there when they were 2-3 saying "man, now the season is over, because at the end of the year they will be 1 win beyond the threshold needed to control their own destiny".

TBH, I liked the shorter season for MLB. It made each game/series more important and I would have been way more engaged than usual if the Sox had shown any spark at all.
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a permanent reduction in games that's for sure, perhaps a return to the 154-game schedule...

Not exactly. Pats s*** the bed against the Jets at home week 16 which would've clinched the division title. I still have those images of the D unable to stop Pennington from dropping deep bombs on them. Brady got outplayed big time by Pennington and Bill got outcoached by Herman Edwards. Curtis Martin looked ineffective all game long, yet somehow finished with just over 100 yards. It was one of the most bizarre games I've watched and was a massive upset.
Didn't Givens drop a long sideline bomb during the 4th quarter as well?

Troy brown muffed a punt !

We have been fortunate to have to great times so we can remember these without too much pain now . :)

True. And yet the division was theirs in week 17 if they beat the Dolphins and the Jets lost to the Packers. The Pats took care of things on their end but the Packers didn’t unfortunately.

I think the Pats getting blasted on MNF by the Titans showed they didn’t belong in the conversation of the league’s elite teams that year anyway.

True. And yet the division was theirs in week 17 if they beat the Dolphins and the Jets lost to the Packers. The Pats took care of things on their end but the Packers didn’t unfortunately.
Yeah there was still a chance, but you could tell the Jets wanted that division title after that win against the Pats. The Packers ran into a Buzzsaw.
I think the Pats getting blasted on MNF by the Titans showed they didn’t belong in the conversation of the league’s elite teams that year anyway.
Also the SNF against the Raiders getting revenge on the Pats.

Yeah there was still a chance, but you could tell the Jets wanted that division title after that win against the Pats. The Packers ran into a Buzzsaw.

Also the SNF against the Raiders getting revenge on the Pats.
Yeah - and that game was only a one score game because of a late kickoff return by Faulk.

We have been fortunate to have to great times so we can remember these without too much pain now . :)
I've been trying to find that game on YouTube for years as it was such a bizarre game. It looked like the Pats were going to wrap up the Division Title at home on SNF after beating down the Jets week 2 of the season.

Pats screwed if Baltimore wins tonight - would need Baltimore to lose 2/3 to a god awful schedule

That about does it if Cleveland can't come back (they won't) . Zero chance Baltimore drops 2 of the last 3

Yesterday’s game was the “right” one to drop if the Pats had a shot at getting in with 9-7. Too many things still have to go right though.

Realistically it’s over.
While I hope we fight hard, I also hope we just lose the rest. 6-10 could net us some quality picks. I see us losing the Dolphins and Bills games. The Jets game is a toss up, depending on whether Bill would like to keep Lawrence out of the division.

Well next Sunday we will likely be mathematically eliminated even with a win

AFC playoff pictures are brutal.

Ignore us where a million things need to go right.

The Ravens winning now means Miami might miss out.

Ravens: win out vs Bengals, Jaguars and Giants

AND Miami loses one game against either us, Bills or Raiders

and they are OUT.

That’s honestly the most likely scenario too.

I want to upset Miami Sunday like they did to us last year

Because I was the kid that always stayed to the end of the game regardless of the score, because I always wanted to see my team play the whole game. I always enjoyed the fact that there was football team in New England and that wasn't always the case. Not to mention that they almost left us at one point. So when there is a chance to make the playoffs and have another game, why wouldn't I want to clamor for it?
I am already in 2021 season mode.

Without at least decent QB like a Tannehill, youre not winning a Super Bowl. Cam clearly is not the QB going forward. Stidham has more questions about him than answers. Therefore, where the Pats draft is critically important and hanging on until the ship sinks only hurts draft position.

This is why I can accept the poor season now, even though we could have made the playoffs with a legit QB. The Pats could lose until the cows come home and I'd still be grateful for what we have.

Think of all the highlight videos and big game videos that we can look back on compared to fans of other teams. Even the teams that have had plenty of success over the years had it before quality videos were available.

I kind of prefer this scenario (missing playoffs) rather than limping in and losing first round. Here is why

1.) If we make playoffs we validate Bill's offseason. This puts the spotlight on him as a GM and hopefully make some changes to drafting/approach etc..

2.) Solidifies Cam as a failure as Pats QB. Never liked this move - hate it even more now... Move on.

3.) Hopefully gives Stidham a chance to show what he has. This will let us see if he is our next guy or not.

4.) Improves our draft position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft