PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoffs???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of prefer this scenario (missing playoffs) rather than limping in and losing first round. Here is why

1.) If we make playoffs we validate Bill's offseason. This puts the spotlight on him as a GM and hopefully make some changes to drafting/approach etc..

2.) Solidifies Cam as a failure as Pats QB. Never liked this move - hate it even more now... Move on.

3.) Hopefully gives Stidham a chance to show what he has. This will let us see if he is our next guy or not.

4.) Improves our draft position.

1 - I expect this will happen regardless of playoffs
2 - The signing was understandable. He's being paid peanuts. Really easy to like. He's done some good things but his limitations are obvious. Alternatives to Cam (like Dalton) would not have been an upgrade. Our backups absolutely reek. Keeping Brady would have been the best option but that wasn't happening.
3 - Nah don't need to see him, he's had plenty of chances and impressed in zero of them and no reason to think he'll ever be good other than wishful thinking. Doubt he'll even be in the league in a couple years. Time to move on.
4- yes it will. Maybe we trade up to go really high for a QB. Don't need to move up though if BB doesn't think teams ahead of us will pick players we have our eye on.

Last edited:
I am torn...we have a 2% chance now...had Baltimore lost yesterday...maybe I'd feel differently.

As it stands right now, we are only 2 games up on the 4th pick (We can't be worse than the Jets, Jaguars, and Chargers....but everyone else...we can).....

I think if we get a top 10 pick...we will be in good position to trade up even more.

I kind of prefer this scenario (missing playoffs) rather than limping in and losing first round. Here is why

1.) If we make playoffs we validate Bill's offseason. This puts the spotlight on him as a GM and hopefully make some changes to drafting/approach etc..

2.) Solidifies Cam as a failure as Pats QB. Never liked this move - hate it even more now... Move on.

3.) Hopefully gives Stidham a chance to show what he has. This will let us see if he is our next guy or not.

4.) Improves our draft position.
I think you are highly overestimating what Bill thinks of the off season. He pretty much spelled out “we had cap issues and we were paying off years of overspending to squeeze SB’d out of Brady”. That’s why pretty much everyone is taking a “this is the best you can hope for” and isn’t taking it too hard on players.

It’s very doubtful Bill is going to come out of it thinking he made a mistake. He’s probably thinking “wow a play here or there and we might have been a low seed in the playoffs”

Some paths I found as of this morning.

Pats win out
And Ravens lose 2 of 3
And Dolphins lose 2 of 3 and a loss must be against us

The third scenario is most likely but again all of this must happen for the Pats to get in at 9-7

Another one:
Pats win out
And Ravens lose 2 of 3
And Dolphins win no more than 1 game, a loss against us, and tie either Raiders or Bills
And Browns lose out

There's a path involving the Browns too instead of the Ravens
Pats win out
And Browns lose out
And Dolphins lose 2 of 3 with a loss against us

Extremely unlikely though - that would require the Jets to beat the Browns.

Another involving the Colts:
Pats win out
Colts lose out
Dolphins lose 2 of 3 with a loss against us

Also extremely unlikely - that would require the Jags to beat the Colts. Jags are looking for the first overall pick.

Also looks like a Pats win on Sunday will avoid elimination for at least a week even if they get no help elsewhere. Pats cannot do anything less than 3 wins in a row or it will be elimination. 8-7-1 won't get us in.

Last edited:
When I see there's a slim hope for the playoffs, my mind starts going... but then I remember that involves:
1. Ravens losing 2 home games against horrible teams
2. Pats winning 3 straight, which we haven't done all year and could never do with Cam at QB.
So, is it better to lose @Mia, which would officially eliminate us and get us:
1. A better draft spot
2. A chance that BB lets Stid play so we can see with our own eyes if there's any value for future.
(if he sucks, we lose anyway and get even better draft spot to get a QB, and we don't waste time keeping him on the roster next year)

When I see there's a slim hope for the playoffs, my mind starts going... but then I remember that involves:
2. Pats winning 3 straight, which we haven't done all year and could never do with Cam at QB.
1. A better draft spot
2. A chance that BB lets Stid play so we can see with our own eyes if there's any value for future.
(if he sucks, we lose anyway and get even better draft spot to get a QB, and we don't waste time keeping him on the roster next year)
The coach makes the decision on that, what the fans think is irrelevant. And it appears the decision has already been made.

Some paths I found as of this morning.

Pats win out
And Ravens lose 2 of 3
And Dolphins lose 2 of 3 and a loss must be against us

The third scenario is most likely but again all of this must happen for the Pats to get in at 9-7

Another one:
Pats win out
And Ravens lose 2 of 3
And Dolphins win no more than 1 game, a loss against us, and tie either Raiders or Bills
And Browns lose out

There's a path involving the Browns too instead of the Ravens
Pats win out
And Browns lose out
And Dolphins lose 2 of 3 with a loss against us

Extremely unlikely though - Browns play the Giants, Jets and Pitt

Another involving the Colts:
Pats win out
Colts lose out
Dolphins lose 2 of 3 with a loss against us

Also extremely unlikely - Colts end the season against the Jags who will be looking for the first overall pick.

Also looks like a Pats win on Sunday will avoid elimination for at least a week even if they get no help elsewhere.

would the titans losing out get us in coupled with the Miami scenario? Although very unlikely, cant rule out cle, indy, or titans having a meltdown.

would the titans losing out get us in coupled with the Miami scenario? Although very unlikely, cant rule out cle, indy, or titans having a meltdown.
Yep. That's another path.

Pats win out
And Miami loses 2 of 3 with a loss to us
And Titans lose out (they play Lions at home and then on the road for Packers and Texans)

That's a more likely scenario then the Ravens losing 2 of 3, or Cleveland losing to the Jets or Indy losing to the Jags.

Pats win out
And Titans lose out (they play Lions at home and then on the road for Packers and Texans)

That's a more likely scenario then the Ravens losing 2 of 3.

Gotcha, so the doable part I see is us beating Miami and NYj + Miami losing to oak or buf. Which I can totally imagine.

The tough task is beating buff. Less than 50/50 given how well Buffalo is playing but we showed we can compete with them.

The nearly impossible task is hoping for one of these: bmore loses 2 more , Indy lose all 3, clue lose all 3 , titans lose all 3. This is obviously very hard to see but a miracle meltdown could happen. These could also be replaced by the need for a week 18 and 8 team playoff,but after seeing how the league handled the Baltimore situation also very unlikely.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Gotcha, so the doable part I see is us beating Miami and NYj + Miami losing to oak or buf. Which I can totally imagine.

The tough task is beating buff. Less than 50/50 given how well Buffalo is playing but we showed we can compete with them.
Yeah. Their offense struggled a bit against us but they look deadly now. Looked good against a great Pitt defense. Pats run defense was terrible against them last time. Hopefully it's a lot better.

Pats win out

That's a more likely scenario then the Ravens losing 2 of 3, or Cleveland losing to the Jets or Indy losing to the Jags.
I guess it is fitting for this crazy year that all of a sudden I have become a HUGE supporter of the JAX Jags. Oh well, I guess I should have seen that coming.

1. A better draft spot
GTFO. Join the Colts' "Suck for Luck" bandwagon.smh

imagine the "path" had the Pats not no-showed vs Denver....would be a bit more doable

imagine the "path" had the Pats not no-showed vs Denver....would be a bit more doable
Yep...or had an NFL QB in KC, or one without greasy fingers in Barfalo...or had better GTG play-calling in Seattle & LA...

Bills win today and they clinch the East.

Which is a lose-lose situation for the Pats even if they beat Miami tomorrow. If the Bills clinch then they will rest starters in week 17 in a game the Pats will need Miami to lose. But if they don’t then they’ll go all out in week 16 to try to beat us.

The stars just aren’t aligned for us this year it seems. Oh well, hopefully next year.

Bills win today and they clinch the East.

Which is a lose-lose situation for the Pats even if they beat Miami tomorrow. If the Bills clinch then they will rest starters in week 17 in a game the Pats will need Miami to lose. But if they don’t then they’ll go all out in week 16 to try to beat us.

The stars just aren’t aligned for us this year it seems. Oh well, hopefully next year.
Well, aside from the pats winning all 3 , the more plausible scenario for the pats now with the browns losing last week is titans losing last 3 and fins losing 2 of the next 3. Tomorrow's detriot at tenn is the key game. If tenn doesnt win, they go to GB and Houston both of which could be tough games. It is the shortest of the long shots for the pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back