PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoffs???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We're not out yet. Let us say that BALT loses to PIT and the giants, and we win out. With "expected" results of the other games, we still have a chance. Bill "just" needs to beat the teams he knows best, those in our division.

We're not out yet. Let us say that BALT loses to PIT and the giants, and we win out. With "expected" results of the other games, we still have a chance. Bill "just" needs to beat the teams he knows best, those in our division.
Playoffs are off-topic. Touche

Yesterday’s game was the “right” one to drop if the Pats had a shot at getting in with 9-7. Too many things still have to go right though.

Realistically it’s over.

Ravens would have to drop 2 or colts would have to drop 3 . Thats the one i have real trouble seeing.

Totally possible seeing miami lose 2 in addition to our game and Oakland losing 2 if theirs. But even if we get that , seeing one from above happen would require a bit of luck, and you know how our luck has been when we dont control our destiny.

The only reason why the Pats are safe from last place in the AFCE is because the Jets are purposely losing to get Lawrence.

This team was dominated last night on national TV.

I’m still cheering for it. Extends our winning season streak in a year where it should have been broken.

At least 8-8. Normally wouldn’t care but all these Steelers morons make a big deal about tomlin never being worse than 8-8. Just a stubborn ness about me that wants us to extend ours to 19 years

So, it very, very unreasonable to think that BALT will lose to PITT and the giants. I disagree.

you’re thinking of Cleveland and the Giants, but your point still stands. Cleveland is just as tough right now, if not tougher than pitt , imo

At least 8-8. Normally wouldn’t care but all these Steelers morons make a big deal about tomlin never being worse than 8-8. Just a stubborn ness about me that wants us to extend ours to 19 years
8-8 should be doable. Beat Miami and the Jets. Neither team is a powerhouse.

Or beat Miami and the Bills- then throw the preseason roster out there against the Jets to force a loss and they miss out on Lawrence. Lol

So, it very, very unreasonable to think that BALT will lose to PITT and the giants. I disagree.
I want us to get to 9-7, but we weren't even 100% getting in at 10-6. So much has to go our way now. I do like the positive attitude, but I just don't see it at 9-7.

fat Lady isn’t on stage just yet....

As a gift for finishing this unbelievably tough season, Goodell will reward every team a playoff berth

This will be one of those years where we just miss out. Like 02 or 08

Time to take off the homer hat unfortunately....this team is done for this year in regards to playoff hopes.....and even if by some remote chance they backed in....they are not doing anything there ....too many flaws weaknesses and holes to fill right now especially at starting QB....where BB said “Cam’s our QB”....Bill’s stubbornness is his worst enemy sometimes

Time to take off the homer hat unfortunately....this team is done for this year in regards to playoff hopes.....and even if by some remote chance they backed in....they are not doing anything there ....too many flaws weaknesses and holes to fill right now especially at starting QB....where BB said “Cam’s our QB”....Bill’s stubbornness is his worst enemy sometimes
Maybe next year we’ll have backup QBs on the roster who can play in the NFL so when a change is called for it will be made easily.

• Agree
Reactions: jah

According to the widget above, the Patriots tumbled to a 4% chance of making the playoffs, which sounds about right.
IOW for every scenario they do get in, there are 24 others that result in no postseason for the Pats.

The most likely scenario of getting in involves specific outcomes from multiple teams, which is why it is so doubtful:

6-7 Patriots: must win their next three games (which would include two upsets: at Miami, home vs Buffalo), and then vs the Jets.
Those three wins only bring the Pats odds up to 24%.

8-4 Miami: the Pats need the Dolphins to lose at least three games, which is realistic given there schedule. Losses to KC on Sunday and at Buffalo - both games they will not be favored - plus a loss to the Pats virtually eliminate the Fins.
The odds for the Pats are now up slightly, to 28%.

That leaves one game on their schedule, week 16 at Las Vegas.

7-5 Raiders: as a team ahead of the Pats, NE needs the Raiders to lose at least two games. But at the same time the Pats need Miami to lose three games - which means the Pats need the Dolphins to beat LVR.
A Miami victory at the Raiders moves the Pats chances from 28% to 39%.

The Raiders are home for three games (Colts, Chargers, Dolphins) and then finish at Denver. The Pats will need two mild upsets (a win vs the Colts plus a loss at Denver) to go with the Raiders loss to Miami.
Those two losses plus the win against Indy sends the Pats odds to 57%.

8-4 Colts: another team the Pats need to have lose three games, including this weekend at the Raiders. The Pats then need Indy to lose at home versus Houston, and at Pittsburgh in week 16. Losses to the Raiders and Texans would be mild upsets, but not shocking.
The hypothetical loss to the Texans jumps the needle for the Pats to 85%, and then 100% after a loss at the Steelers.

tl;dr version:
  • Pats win their final three games.
  • Miami loses to KC and at Buffalo.
  • Raiders lose to Miami and at Denver.
  • Indy loses at Raiders, vs Houston, at Pittsburgh.
Edit To Add:
Another option would be for Baltimore to lose twice, replacing one of the options above.​
For example, remove the Colts having to lose three times, and in their place add two Raven losses.​
That allows for a more realistic scenario with a Raider loss to Indy (plus their loss to Miami).​
Baltimore would need to lose twice, most likely being vs Browns on Monday and vs Giants in two weeks.​

Although none would be particularly shocking, it is still ten specific outcomes - half of which involve a slight underdog defeating the favored team. How often can you flip ten coins and have them all land on heads?

Baltimore plays Cleveland not Pitt.
I think there is a better chance of Indy losing 3 (oak, hous, Pitt) than Baltimore losing 2 but they are decimated so you never know.
Afters Thursday’s performance 9-7 seems a lot farther away today than 10-6 did before it though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back