PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoff outlook

Well this kinda took a hit today. We win expectedly but jets beating buffalo could be a big blow. Bengals , chargers, miami all won. Must beat the jets and Bengals i think to have a shot.

On the bright side The Minnesota game doesn’t look as horrible as I thought . Raiders look worse with each passing week. And buffalo looking human.
It looks like Allen may have been injured too.

I think the Jets win helps us if we want to win the division but not as much for just a playoff spot. Miami pulling out a win vs Chicago probably hurt us more.

And some teams, just like some of the posters here, think that qbs are magical and can win by themselves. So every year some teams discard last years qb to get a new one, while never fixing the rest of the team. The jets have sucked for decades. They should have a great team but every 2 years they take their top couple picks and trade them for the next great qb. Who they ruin with poor surrounding teammates. A mediocre qb can win with a great team. The goat qb can’t win with a sucky team. Brady used to be good enough to take good to great teams to the playoffs every year, but there aren’t many of those qbs. The patriots have 2 young qbs. They need to fix the oline and maybe add a couple lbs and another d lineman and they will have a great team. If they have a great team they just need a good qb to win it all. Hopefully they have one of them.
Yesterday they won with their defense and STs, which is really what many of us thought would have to happen until the offense came around.

As for offense, the QB is by far the most important position but we all know that they need players who can block, run and catch.

Even Bill needs good players to win.

They were talking about the possible contenders, remaining schedules and possibility of making the playoffs today. 7 teams. 9 contenders. Consensus is that it will take 10 wins to make it as a wildcard after the 4 division winners.
Do you think the Pats can win 5 more games? Gotta beat the Jete and split with the Phins and Bildos. That's 3. At Vikings, at Barfalo, at LV will be tough. Home versus the resurgent Bangles will might be a good matchup with our D.

What's it gonna take? The OC, OL and QB need to get their heads out of their ***es. Need the damn offense to finally click. Can that happen? We will see.

This team is middle of the road. Our D can beat up on teams with bad QBs but we won't be facing the Z. Wilsons and S. Ehlingers of the world every week.

Our o-line is awful and is the main cause of our offensive issues. Throw in Macs poor play, bad offensive coaching, and I just don't see us going on a run.

JETE - W
Vikings - L
Bills - L
Cards - W
Raiders - L
Bengals - L
Phins - L
Bills - L

Sad to say but I think we got 2 - 3 more wins in us which will put us at 7-10 or 8-9.
That's a pretty bleak outlook but given the state of the O right now I'm not going to argue.

That Raider game really needs to be a W. Then all we have to do is flip one of those Ls and we have a winning record 2 and we likely get in the playoffs. That isn't that tough of a task. Andrews stabilizes the OL and get some better QB play and I think we get there.

The LBs have really improved. Uche, Wilson and Peppers are making plays. That picks up the D. Jack and Marcus Jones are seeing the field and will continue to improve as well. The D will get better.

Let's hope the OL gels as well. Desperately need Andrews. Mac didn't throw any stupid lollipop passes and didn't have a pick (not even a close call). I still can not believe the offense will improve enough, but maybe.

The playoffs are coming into focus.

Josh Allen out for any time opens the door for the Pats.

They were talking about the possible contenders, remaining schedules and possibility of making the playoffs today. 7 teams. 9 contenders. Consensus is that it will take 10 wins to make it as a wildcard after the 4 division winners.
Do you think the Pats can win 5 more games? Gotta beat the Jete and split with the Phins and Bildos. That's 3. At Vikings, at Barfalo, at LV will be tough. Home versus the resurgent Bangles will might be a good matchup with our D.

What's it gonna take? The OC, OL and QB need to get their heads out of their ***es. Need the damn offense to finally click. Can that happen? We will see.
In looking at their remaining schedule, In my opinion, the two "must wins" for us are the Jets and Arizona. Both not going to be easy games, but will be rooting against AZ(currently 3-6) the rest of the season in hopes they have nothing to play for by the time we play them.

The Patriots destiny is still in its own hands.

Arizona and Vegas should be winnable games, and I don't have to squint too hard to see a Belichick coached team go on the road in Thanksiving and beat Kirk Cousins. Cincy is probably a loss, but who knows.

It comes down to the division. Win your three divisional home games, you have a path to 10 wins and a tiebreaker against the Jets.

They really shot themselves in the foot with that Chicago loss.

A lot of you are way more hopeful than I am. We won't be facing Trubisky, Goff, Biscuit or Ehlinger.

Wk 11: Wilson (6-3) Wilson
Wk 12: Cousins (7-1) Jefferson
Wk 13: Allen (6-2) Diggs
Wk 14: Murray (3-6) Hopkins
Wk 15: Carr (2-6) Adams
Wk 16: Borrow (5-4) Chase
Wk 17: Tua (6-3) Hill-Waddle
Wk 18: Allen (6-2) Diggs

That's a combined 41-27 (.603) which is the 2nd hardest schedule in the league.

We'll be facing 15 of the top 50 receivers in the league. There's 6 Top 16 QBs in yards and 6 top 13 in TDs. 5 of the 8 games are against Top 10 scoring teams. All of these teams can put up points fast.

Our only hope is our D stifles these Os enough for Folk to kick 5 to 6 FGs per game (he's our best offensive weapon) and even then it may not be enough.

A lot of you are way more hopeful than I am. We won't be facing Trubisky, Goff, Biscuit or Ehlinger.

Wk 11: Wilson (6-3) Wilson
Wk 12: Cousins (7-1) Jefferson
Wk 13: Allen (6-2) Diggs
Wk 14: Murray (3-6) Hopkins
Wk 15: Carr (2-6) Adams
Wk 16: Borrow (5-4) Chase
Wk 17: Tua (6-3) Hill-Waddle
Wk 18: Allen (6-2) Diggs

That's a combined 41-27 (.603) which is the 2nd hardest schedule in the league.

We'll be facing 15 of the top 50 receivers in the league. There's 6 Top 16 QBs in yards and 6 top 13 in TDs. 5 of the 8 games are against Top 10 scoring teams. All of these teams can put up points fast.

Our only hope is our D stifles these Os enough for Folk to kick 5 to 6 FGs per game (he's our best offensive weapon) and even then it may not be enough.
I think our odds are: Jets 55-45, @Minn 49-51, Buf 45-55, Ariz 60-40, LV 55-45, Cinci 51-49, Mia 50-50, @Buf 45-55 (4 or 5 wins).

The Patriots destiny is still in its own hands.

Arizona and Vegas should be winnable games, and I don't have to squint too hard to see a Belichick coached team go on the road in Thanksiving and beat Kirk Cousins. Cincy is probably a loss, but who knows.

It comes down to the division. Win your three divisional home games, you have a path to 10 wins and a tiebreaker against the Jets.

They really shot themselves in the foot with that Chicago loss.
Yep, that Bears loss is a potential problem with tie-breakers vs Miami and maybe with the Jets if they beat them, although if we beat the Jets that won't come into play for the tiebreakers... I think.

I think our odds are: Jets 55-45, @Minn 49-51, Buf 45-55, Ariz 60-40, LV 55-45, Cinci 51-49, Mia 50-50, @Buf 45-55 (4 or 5 wins).
How did you come up w/ those odds? Based on home field advantage? We're .500 at home.

MIA against common opponents:
NEP (W)
BAL (W)
NYJ (L)
PIT (W)
DET (W)
CHI (W)
AVG PTs per game: 26.8 ppg
Pats went 3-3 w/ 19.2 ppg

The other thing to keep in mind is Bill's teams consistently had a lossing record, going 6-11 (.353) in Dec/Jan since 2019 (w/ Brady). I know that's all in the past, but his teams never won more than 2 games in Dec regardless of the QB.

Some Jet fan flipped a coin to predict 2022 Jets wins and losses and is perfect to date.

They have the NE game post Bye as a NYJ loss.

Last edited:
Darren Waller to IR.

Sounds season ending.

How did you come up w/ those odds? Based on home field advantage? We're .500 at home.

MIA against common opponents:
NEP (W)
BAL (W)
NYJ (L)
PIT (W)
DET (W)
CHI (W)
AVG PTs per game: 26.8 ppg
Pats went 3-3 w/ 19.2 ppg

The other thing to keep in mind is Bill's teams consistently had a lossing record, going 6-11 (.353) in Dec/Jan since 2019 (w/ Brady). I know that's all in the past, but his teams never won more than 2 games in Dec regardless of the QB.
Buffalo just lost to the Jets, one week after we beat the Jets. We can win any of these games, there's no opponent on the schedule that will out-class us talent-wise. Likewise, there's no opponent that we'll out-class. The 8 games are split 4-4 home & away. We usually split with Buffalo and beat Miami in December home games. Cinci doesn't scare me at home. LV and AZ are good matches for us. The only game I think we're very likely to lose are @ Minn and @ Buffalo.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back